Thais urged not to drink drive this New Year

webfact

"Thais urged not to drink drive this New Year"

Wonder if that is "copied and pasted" from previous years? (Don't answer that!)

"the country would have a campaign to limit accidents for the "Seven Deadly Days" from December 29th to January 4th."

And what exactly will this campaign consist of? Loudpeaker vans going up and down the freeways saying "Don't have an accident for the next seven days"?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ohh the poor isaan farmer cannot pay a fine, go soft on them then.......

This is why the country is <deleted>.

Pay the fines or go to jail.

Not rocket science.

"Pay the fines or go to jail."

And who pays for the cost of keeping them in jail? Better if they were made to work somewhere to pay the fines off - possibly on the roads? That would serve a dual purpose as it would reduce the need to import cheap labour from Myanmar, for instance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue is ineffective policing which has its own underlying reasons starting with a basic culture of apathy.

IF the roads were policed effectively there would be lot less carnage.

As you say a lack of apathy, seconded by lack of police enforcement, but then the next stage is the courts issuing suitable punishment.

If the government cared so much they would change the law, force the courts to hammer DUI's and sack police who don't do their job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy interior minister Niphon Bunyamanee said that he and the Thai government cares about the welfare of the people on the roads

Thais urged not to drink drive this New Year

Thais can wait until new year celebrations are over, to continue 'DUI'

While foreigners can continue...

52 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I didnt say because they are poor they should be allowed to drive drunk. I am saying that as a punishment massive fines would not work.

Taking money from anyone besides the rich is the best teacher. Fines and loss of licences,if they have one,and if they don't, the privelege of driving taken away, is what the US does and it works. Some will continue to drive, and kill, until they're put behind bars for awhile. Of course they don't care, meaning the goverment, which is blatantly obvious, and until those that don't care are removed and replaced with those who do, this will never change. Texas where I'm from before here, allowed drinking and driving for a long time until people got fed up with family and friends dying, and the laws were changed. After that, the amount of drunk driving accidents plummeted

21 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Pay the fines or go to jail."

And who pays for the cost of keeping them in jail? Better if they were made to work somewhere to pay the fines off - possibly on the roads? That would serve a dual purpose as it would reduce the need to import cheap labour from Myanmar, for instance.

Well enforce something then.... Urging them not to drink drive is an utter Delete on another level.

<deleted>.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Taking money from anyone besides the rich is the best teacher. Fines and loss of licences,if they have one,and if they don't, the privelege of driving taken away, is what the US does and it works. Some will continue to drive, and kill, until they're put behind bars for awhile. Of course they don't care, meaning the goverment, which is blatantly obvious, and until those that don't care are removed and replaced with those who do, this will never change. Texas where I'm from before here, allowed drinking and driving for a long time until people got fed up with family and friends dying, and the laws were changed. After that, the amount of drunk driving accidents plummeted

I agree fines work but they have to be realistic based on the defendants means otherwise you might as well say go straight to jail.

I dont see Thais have reached the point where they are fed up with family and friends dying it just seems accepted.

• Like 2

Fat chance of that happening. What hope is there when the police who are on duty turn up at our friends houses, in  uniform & driving clearly marked police cars, and consume copious amounts of Sang Som, and when they leave they are well and truly over the limit. Don't anybody try to tell me this doesn't happen, because I witness it on a regular basis, and when I ask them why they drink & drive, let alone while on duty, their answer is simply "I'm the police I can do what I want".

• Like 2

When you see a mindset represented by the common sight of 3 up on a motorcycle all wearing masks but not a helmet in sight you know you are dealing with a Thai Thick Gene . There’s a tacit agreement with the Thais saying we don’t care about road traffic deaths/injuries and politicians saying neither do we care about you plebs dying from stupidity - so carry on … ???? 

28 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Fat chance of that happening. What hope is there when the police who are on duty turn up at our friends houses, in  uniform & driving clearly marked police cars, and consume copious amounts of Sang Som, and when they leave they are well and truly over the limit. Don't anybody try to tell me this doesn't happen, because I witness it on a regular basis, and when I ask them why they drink & drive, let alone while on duty, their answer is simply "I'm the police I can do what I want".

I know just what you are saying. A few years ago right opposite our house lives a policeman. He invited us over for a glass of Jameson's. His brother was there and legless by then , when the brother came to leave , first he hit our garden wall , when he reversed he hit the coppers wall. Oh what fun thought the plod. So if the BiB don't care why should anybody else ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Until there is a total and complete reforming of the RTP, the situation is never going to change.

Thailand has all the Laws in place to prevent some of these lives being wasted every Year.

The problem is the enforcement of the the existing Laws.

The major problem is tge endemic corruption. It infects more virulently than any virus and permeates Thai culture, from the top on down. Laws? They are only for the poor and defenseless.

• Like 1

Thailand needs to take note of how Bogota reduced their road casualties.

A growing number of countries and cities have demonstrated that road fatalities can be drastically reduced with proven policies and actions that, taken together, make roads safe for everyone. For example, Bogotá, Colombia, managed to reduce traffic fatalities by 32% in less than 2 years, with the introduction of a Speed Management Plan to help set and enforce safe speed limits.

https://thecityfix.com/blog/thailands-songkran-road-deaths-can-be-avoided/

Edited by IvorBiggun2