Total Omicron Cases Rise to Almost 1,000

snoop1130

I’m surprised it’s not more the way this thing is rapidly spreading all over the world.  Hopefully it doesn’t spread like wildfire here. But it just might happen.  All we can do is our best to protect ourselves.  

In a few days time it'll be that X100. In my small area of the country there were at least four very loud parties going on yesterday from afternoon to past midnight. Bass-heavy music, laser strobes the lot. Tonight will be even worse. This morning, half a dozen cars arrived at the big house next door, so they'll be giving it whompo. The Omicron gremlins will love it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Wow, just read this morning's news of 700+. Another 250, or so, is 33% more in only one day! If it continues like that, then the tally will be 10,000 in less than two weeks...

I will be very surprised if it is not. Might even reach 10,000 in less than 2 weeks.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering about 35% of the American population are unvaccinated and about 90% are overweight or obese, that's hardly surprising is it.

Overweight (including obesity) in US is 73.6%. And majority of that is in the "overweight but not obese" category. Which is still quite a lot, but hardly the same as 90%.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Swampy999 said:

Only 934 new Omicron cases in all of Thailand? Either the zero button has malfunctioned yet again or the BS is in full effect.

Simply related to the number of tests they are performing......it surely is a lot lot more than that!

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Unless of course you don't know  about the square root of  expediential

I certainly have no idea, or do you mean exponential?

Exponential means that after 28 doubles each person in Thailand is infected and after 30 everyone on this planet. Since it seems to double every 1-2 days... do the math.

I am a tad suspicious about these numbers based purely on the fact that Omicron cannot be detected and isolated as the infection without a full G Nome Sequencing Test being performed on the suspected sample.

This is possibly why the numbers seem so low for the Omicron Variant, given that it doubles in Infections every 2 to 3 Days.

The testing is simply not being performed sufficiently enough ( by a long way ) to find the cases

Smoke and Mirror time again me thinks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

In reality it's likely >10 times that.

Those not displaying symptoms are going nowhere near tests (at least not the recorded tests).

We went to our local hospital yesterday as our daughter picked up a virus at school this week. Sore throat, cough, high temperature. They wanted to do PCR and antigen tests.

Antigen test, like the one she had a couple of days ago was negative. Blood test indicated a strong throat infection so doctor is pretty sure PCR test will be negative.

I mentioned to the doctor and nurses that I do not believe the infection figures being released and they said the real figures are indeed much higher. We were even told that there is a large cluster in the area we are living.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk Z said:

Exponential means that after 28 doubles each person in Thailand is infected and after 30 everyone on this planet. Since it seems to double every 1-2 days... do the math.

I stand corrected  for the typo exponential but reiterate my comment.

An exponential rate of increase becomes quicker and quicker as the thing that increases becomes larger:

The word exponential has common usage meaning not limited to its mathematical  definition.

1 minute ago, mahtin said:

You clearly don't mean the meaning of rant..lol.

"I do," Alice hastily replied; "at least—at least I mean what I say—that's the same thing, you know.".

"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter.

A cut and paste. Try and use your own words to explain  what you are  trying to say. It will help focus your mind and define  your thoughts

3 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

And judging from that piece of nonsense, neither do you? ????

I stand corrected  for the typo exponential but reiterate my comment.

An exponential rate of increase becomes quicker and quicker as the thing that increases becomes larger:

The word exponential has common usage meaning not limited to its mathematical  definition.

1 hour ago, Dirk Z said:

Not quite but along the lines of? Exponential in simple terms means anything that multiplies by a power more than 1. So if you were to use say a relatively small power of 1.01, that would mean that for every 100, after the 1st stage you would get 101 and after the second stage you would get 101 x 1.01 etc? Whilst a power of 1.01 would result in very little actual growth, it is still technically exponential?

The OP’s original post is somewhat contradictory though in that he mentions the square root of exponential? So if you were to take a base number of 2 and raise it exponentially by the power of 2, after the 1st stage, you would have 4. However, if you then took the square root of this, you would end up with 2, i.e. the number that you started off with?

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

And yet world deaths from covid continue to decline.................

Forget deaths, the admissions are astoundingly low.  Usually unvaccinated in the hospital.  

Let's talk those on oxygen.  In south africa they have been nearly flat.  Flat!  This is an upper respiratory pandemic now, nothing more.  IT has done what we all hoped it would do, become dominant and turn into a true and honest damned cold.  

Its current form is a cold.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Forget deaths, the admissions are astoundingly low.  Usually unvaccinated in the hospital.  

Let's talk those on oxygen.  In south africa they have been nearly flat.  Flat!  This is an upper respiratory pandemic now, nothing more.  IT has done what we all hoped it would do, become dominant and turn into a true and honest damned cold.  

Now now....stop it with the positive vibes....This things survivability rate was already 99.7% for most....now its probably a lot higher than that. I think we all need to panic. I think we need to stock up on toilet paper. I think 3 masks should be minimum, preferably while hiding under your bed. Nope, sorry, I am still of the mind to treat all strangers as though the mean me harm! I love mainstream media.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Virt said:

Don't Thailand use those new PCR tests that can detect omicron without doing whole genome sequencing.

That could maybe save them some time.

these PCRs do not directly detect the virus but a mutation exclusive to a variant ... it is necessary to sequence regularly because a new variant with an identical mutation may appear.

Edited by vVDB
Correction

1 hour ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Now now....stop it with the positive vibes....This things survivability rate was already 99.7% for most....now its probably a lot higher than that. I think we all need to panic. I think we need to stock up on toilet paper. I think 3 masks should be minimum, preferably while hiding under your bed. Nope, sorry, I am still of the mind to treat all strangers as though the mean me harm! I love mainstream media.

Your numbers are misleading, and you are mocking the worst epidemic in modern history. Nothing good will come from that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Watch and learn.