What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thought I would have a go at watching the series on BBC iPlayer called, "The Responder" with Martin Freeman as it has been highly rated but.......couldn't  be bothered to finish even the first episode because for me the Liverpudlian accent made it very difficult to understand, so I switched over to one of their other series (documentary) with Neil Oliver going over the history of ancient Britain, which I did like!! 

Subtitles available for The Responder.

• Thanks 1

Whilst channel hopping, I happened accross a 3-part documentary series on CNA called Make It Work and was hooked.

In 3 x 50 minute episodes we follow the fortunes of three people made redundant as a result of Covid and their trials and tribulations to start new careers to support themselves and their loved ones. The people are: a young chap in Singapore, a lady in Bangkok and a former air hostess in Hong Kong.

At times inspirational, funny and moving, it is one of the best things I have seen for a long while.

All episodes are available on YouTube, CNA Make It Work.

• Like 2

Mystic River popped up on my Netflix feed tonight & I'd forgotten what a great movie/actors it was/has, IIRC it was also one of the 1st movies Clint Eastwood directed. 

Well worth a (re)watch.

Edited by Mike Teavee

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

The original documentary was far better, and the "murderer" wasn't a very likeable character at all, quite the opposite.

I really enjoyed "The Staircase" can you please share the name of the original documentary as I would love to watch a different take on the story (FWIW I though he was guilty). 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I really enjoyed "The Staircase" can you please share the name of the original documentary as I would love to watch a different take on the story (FWIW I though he was guilty). 

Same name.

I posted a youtube clip on the previous page.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

It was called The Staircase and came out 2004. It's available to download from PB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

It was called The Staircase and came out 2004. It's available to download from PB.

How can this be good giddyup -- if it came out in 2004--- it wasn't even a quarter of the way through....He was in court in 2017--many twists and turn from the original arrests made  around that Doco date.  -- I think I have seen that one-- difficult to remember because they then had Staircase 2.....& its featured on 48 hours/Dateline...many other TV programs.

Television productions about the case

The Staircase, a French miniseries, also broadcast on Netflix and as part of the BBC Storyville series, under the title "Death on the Staircase", including a sequel, "The Staircase II: The Last Chance"

"A Novel Idea" - Forensic Files

"Debut" - Cold Case

"Written in Blood" - The New Detectives

"Blood on the Staircase" - American Justice

"Murder, He Wrote" - Dominick Dunne's Power, Privilege, and Justice

"Staircase Killer" - True Crime with Aphrodite Jones

"The Staircase Murders" - 2007 TV Movie written by Aphrodite Jones

"Stairway to Hell" - The Devil You Know

"Reversal of Fortune" - Dateline NBC

"Down the Back Staircase" - Dateline NBC

Trial and Error Season One (Loosely based)

“Voids, Part I & II” - Silent Witness (Loosely based)

The Staircase - HBO Max dramatization mini-series

• Thanks 2

This one was worth a watch.

The Speedboat Killer: The Killing of Charlotte Brown

RAR

The story of the escape of Jack Shepherd, dubbed the Speedboat Killer, who went on the run after the tragic death of his online date Charlotte Brown.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

How can this be good giddyup -- if it came out in 2004--- it wasn't even a quarter of the way through....He was in court in 2017--many twists and turn from the original arrests made  around that Doco date.  -- I think I have seen that one-- difficult to remember because they then had Staircase 2.....& its featured on 48 hours/Dateline...many other TV programs.

Television productions about the case

The Staircase, a French miniseries, also broadcast on Netflix and as part of the BBC Storyville series, under the title "Death on the Staircase", including a sequel, "The Staircase II: The Last Chance"

"A Novel Idea" - Forensic Files

"Debut" - Cold Case

"Written in Blood" - The New Detectives

"Blood on the Staircase" - American Justice

"Murder, He Wrote" - Dominick Dunne's Power, Privilege, and Justice

"Staircase Killer" - True Crime with Aphrodite Jones

"The Staircase Murders" - 2007 TV Movie written by Aphrodite Jones

"Stairway to Hell" - The Devil You Know

"Reversal of Fortune" - Dateline NBC

"Down the Back Staircase" - Dateline NBC

Trial and Error Season One (Loosely based)

“Voids, Part I & II” - Silent Witness (Loosely based)

The Staircase - HBO Max dramatization mini-series

Maybe the date is wrong, I saw it quite a while ago, and PB says 2004 which is probably wrong, but it was the same doco made by the French team that is also featured in the dramatised version. Search and ye shall find.

Only watching Netflix still and the Good Doctor series. 

Watch the odd film that pops up and added the one about America's anti nuclear missiles systems with a lady actor was entertaining of such. 

'Fire in the Blood' tells the story of how Western pharmaceutical companies and governments blocked access to low-cost AIDS drugs for the countries of the global south in the years after 1996 - causing ten million or more unnecessary deaths - and the improbable group of people who decided to fight back.

fire.jpg

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Dark Winds----AMC Crime  6 episodes  2 out on Rag now

Storyline: Follows Leaphorn and Chee, two Navajo police officers in the 1970s Southwest that are forced to challenge their own spiritual beliefs when they search for clues in a double murder case

Rotten tomatoes gives it a rating of 100%    -- but then they are giving "Barry" a 99% rating & I fell asleep watching the last 2 episodes.

Zahn McClarnon is riveting as a coiled cop in Dark Winds, a solid procedural that derives much of its texture from an underrepresented cultural milieu.  100% Rotten tomatoes

Downloaded the first 2 episodes today but based only on looking at the IMDB rating. I did not realize that it was based on the Leaphorn and Chee book series by Tony Hillerman until reading you post. Look forward to watching it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Becoming Elizabeth.

Just downloaded the first episode, the way they talk and interact is in a modern way of speaking as if its happening now,to say its rubbish to be honest is an understatement  ,flicked through to the end ,of course you can guess that gentelmen were in it who were not there as officers in the army are in it ,but hey ho, its a shame so many good actors agreed to be in this awful series.

Edited by bert bloggs

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just downloaded the first episode, the way they talk and interact is in a modern way of speaking as if its happening now,to say its rubbish to be honest is an understatement  ,flicked through to the end ,of course you can guess that gentelmen were in it who were not there as officers in the army are in it ,but hey ho, its a shame so many good actors agreed to be in this awful series.

just tried it ,managed about 10 minutes

• Thanks 1

Top Gear----BBC 1....... Season 32----3 episode 2 out now Rar

Unless its a misprint they have it on IMDB etc as July 12 release--but its out now. (well 2 out of 3 )  June 5-12-14

On 5/13/2022 at 10:37 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

They were not pursuing and ideological goal

Your assestation is that barring women from acting roles, or any significant role in society was not ideological? Am I understanding you correctly?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Mini series about the police in Baltimore and corruption

We own this city,enjoying it.

gosh i like this as well ,i dont know how ,as i have been told many times i am racist ,when i comment on certain tv series????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

The Old Man

Thanks Will27 I like John Lithgow's acting--- Haven't seen him in anything since The Perry Mason Series -he has been doing a  lot of Voice acting Simpsons/Shrek etc.

7 episodes--2 out tomorrow then weekly----  & if anyone didn't catch the HBO The Perry Mason Series---its well worth a look...

Series 1 now 7 episodes series 2 out soon--L.A in the 1930s -lawless place.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2077823/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10

• Like 1