I’ve never seen a Thai person reading a book

Dave Dave

19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

One book costs more than a days wages.

No libraries to borrow a book.

My wife loves to read.

She mostly downloads books to her Iphone.

Its a cheaper "Amazon Kindle"

alternative.

Thais read a load of Books 

Specially the School Kids and Students. Take a walk into any shopping mall, and probably one of the first shops you see will be ' Se-Ed " book shop, or Asian Books.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Thais read a load of Books 

Specially the School Kids and Students. Take a walk into any shopping mall, and probably one of the first shops you see will be ' Se-Ed " book shop, or Asian Books.

That would be because they have to….. doesn’t count…..fan of Asian. Books….. but never seen a male Thai customer there..

The local bookshop like NaiIn and the likes might be dead and even Newspaper and Magazine racks are sitting empty, but the annual book fair at big convention halls see plenty of Thais hauling off books for their enjoyment, these Thais are probably the minority, and the activities of middle class and up, with decent Thai books costing 2-300 baht, it's definitely not for the working class

but taking books on commute to read in the train/bus or even to enjoy in cafes or lunch break are definitely strange to Thais 

On 1/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, BKKBike09 said:

You almost never see any Thai person reading an actual book on the BTS. I'd say 95% are staring mindlessly at their phones. Some may be reading an e-book but mostly it just seems to be social media. On the Tube in London you still see a fair number of people reading actual books, but it's a dwindling number.

How many farangs have you seen reading an actual book on the BTS then?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

How many farangs have you seen reading an actual book on the BTS then?

I don't take names and numbers, but I do see foreigners reading actual books from time to time. Japanese BTS users in particular (and not reading manga). While I would not claim that Caucasian BTS users are avid readers, I would say that they are much less likely to be staring at a smartphone.  

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, robblok said:

Actually your quite right when i lived in Bangyai and went to the big mall i often went to B2S its full of books and plenty of Thais buying and reading books. So they probably don't read them where the OP is but it does show Thais read otherwise these companies would not be existing. 

I agree. For quite a number of years, I have been waiting for the bookshops in malls to close, but they have survived with some diversification. And their customers are  predominantly Thai.

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You haven't got a clue what they are reading on their phone.

Er, it's very easy to look at people's phones and see what's on the screen. Or you can tell by the frantic swiping up and down, left and right, that they sure as heck aren't reading War And Peace. 

21 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Do people really read books on a phone? I have both a tablet and an e-book reader and I'm fine with those, but whilst I can skim through a Daily Mail article I wouldn't want to read anything of substance on such a small screen.

I read articles on my phone, stuff about fitness or computers or whatever. No books. Never tried reading a book on my phone. Probably because when i use my phone im not doing any long waiting / traveling. If i knew i was going to wait for a long time or travel i bring my kindle. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Remind me again how many inventions or Nobel prizes or great universities or great scientist’s or philosophers or great artists / musicians …. anything …. apart from Muay Thai or decent temples….from Thailand…. that regrettably would be ZERO.

What great university did you go to? You aren't well informed about music, other sports or artists. What contribution to this world have you done so far?

Edited by FritsSikkink

On 1/3/2022 at 8:02 PM, Dave Dave said:

It’s just an observation I thought I’d make after living here for 4 years

Wow, four years and one observation. Brilliant sir.

Seriously, thais probably don't read books in public because they may be arrested.

This may have been "before your time"?

download.jpg

thailand_book_reading_protest.jpg

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you look at everybody's  phone screen and their facial expression, there is something wrong with you.

Let's play a new game called "spot the book reader" ...

1094572462_ScreenShot2022-01-05at13_36_24.jpg.9dee86abba1f4704cbaa8d52217188bb.jpg

Perhaps they're all on their way to a book fair and are looking on their phones for ideas as to what books to buy?

I did try an image search using "people reading books in BTS train thailand" but it didn't throw up any results. Funny, that.

5 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I did try an image search using "people reading books in BTS train thailand" but it didn't throw up any results. Funny, that.

Wow no Luddites on the BTS. Who woulda thunk?

Honestly who lugs a book around. 

Did you just wake up from a 20 year nap?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What great university did you go to? You aren't well informed about music, other sports or artists. What contribution to this world have you done so far?

Not about me. Subject is that Thais don’t read. You have said nothing about that. Just a silly emotional personal attack. Nothing in real response to my case that Thais are simply not on any intellectual plane…..

16 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Not about me. Subject is that Thais don’t read. You have said nothing about that. Just a silly emotional personal attack. Nothing in real response to my case that Thais are simply not on any intellectual plane…..

Typical trait of most humans on earth.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:10 PM, TropicalGuy said:

Remind me again how many inventions or Nobel prizes or great universities or great scientist’s or philosophers or great artists / musicians …. anything …. apart from Muay Thai or decent temples….from Thailand…. that regrettably would be ZERO.

Seems you're taking credit for others accomplishments.  How many "inventions or Nobel prizes...." etc. have YOU had.  ZERO.  It seems you've done absolutely nothing for mankind.

48 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Seems you're taking credit for others accomplishments.  How many "inventions or Nobel prizes...." etc. have YOU had.  ZERO.  It seems you've done absolutely nothing for mankind.

Again the personal attack. unable to comment properly. topic is not about me. you  know nothing about me. Did once help an old lady across the road though ????and paid tax….????

6 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Again the personal attack. unable to comment properly. topic is not about me. you  know nothing about me. Did once help an old lady across the road though ????and paid tax….????

So why would you even bring up the "inventions or Nobel prizes" and other nonsense?  Any success of western civilization has nothing to do with you.  So for you to be bashing on the Thais when you yourself have accomplished zilch is pretty pathetic to me.

12 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So why would you even bring up the "inventions or Nobel prizes" and other nonsense?  Any success of western civilization has nothing to do with you.  So for you to be bashing on the Thais when you yourself have accomplished zilch is pretty pathetic to me.

repeating with every irrational word the same vitriolic personal off topic nonsense like a broken record.

Comparing populations and cultures is legitimate. All western people are members and hopefully supporters of western civilization.That’s Sufficient. You are obviously unreasonable and no great philosopher! 
Not required for Civilization Supporters to be considered Stone Age perhaps until inventing or creating, which less than 1% do. 

Reading books is not a Thai thing outside of classrooms. That's why their general knowledge is quite lacking outside of work and schools.

I was shocked to see some of their universities doesn't even have a bookshop unlike western universities which has university level books from many authors.

They get all their materials from their lecturers. They don't learn anything outside what their lecturers teach.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, BritManToo said:

Beer bar scene has been gone for almost two years.

With no sign of any return.

As for OP, agree, never seen a Thai reading a book for pleasure.

My kids are forced to read books for school/university, but they'd prefer not to.

When I go to the government hospital, hundreds of Thais, just me reading (Kindle).

When I sit in the park, dozens of Thais, just me reading.

Pre-Smart-Phone there may have been a few Thais who read books.

Nowadays everyone, Thais and Farang included, have their snouts embedded in their 'smart phone' devices.  Personally I hate the things.

I used to like to spend time in a pub or cafe reading a paperback or one of the English language newspapers.
Now virtually all the used books stores are gone in Chiang Mai, finding a English language newspaper is close to impossible, and the pubs and cafe I use to frequent are out of business.

So I stay at home and read ebooks on my computer.

• Like 1