Three senior monks caught in Kamphaeng Phet for drinking alcohol, claimed they were honoring ancestors so it should be allowed

snoop1130

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Alcohol  consumption  by certain spiritualist leaders  is part of the Loei Pee Ta Khon festival during the searching  of the river  before sunrise

Yes but how is that relevant to this episode? Were they practicing for the 3rd of June?

• Like 1

We were drinking local rice whisky from local residents who wanted to give the spirits to their ancestors as a blessing. So we drank this whisky in order to deliver alcohol to those dead people,.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

But first of all we thought we should strain it through our kidneys before delivering it.......said Monk Arpat...............

• Haha 2

They should become Catholic priests, they are allowed to drink wine in ceremonies (and smoke). In addition, the Pope and Vatican usually protects them from sins and bad behavior ????.

Edited by Tarteso

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

What is the problem?? If the monks are not allowed to drink alcoholand they do it, it is an issue for the temple or temple organisation to solve this. No need to get the police involved. 

Yes and no. They're sort of 'above the law' and the police can't arrest one until he has been defrocked. This is (I believe) why the police are involved in they do unmonkly things. Yes, I just made that word up.

• Haha 2

But in the OP it's pretty 'he said she said'

- There were no bottles found, but the odour was ACCORDING to the officers. strong in the area.

- Arpat 'reportedly admitted doing so'

- Arpat APPEARED highly intoxicated ACCORDING to officers

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

They should become Catholic priests, they are allowed to drink wine in ceremonies (and smoke). In addition, the Pope and Vatican usually protects them from sins and bad behavior ????.

In my younger days I was Catholic for a little while.  The rectory at the church had a full bar in it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, malathione said:

Yes but how is that relevant to this episode? Were they practicing for the 3rd of June?

Ancestors/ Buddhism/ Temple/Monks/Alcohol/

Perhaps  relevant  Perhaps  not but still very interesting that certain  tenets of the interwoven  belief  system that is Thai  Buddhism/ annimism/ spiritualism might include alcohol  consumption and ancestor worship but I doubt if they were practicing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Saw a couple of monks looking at the latest smartphones in a mall the other day.  I'm not sure how people can still be comfortable with the whole "monks live for free in return for doing monk stuff".  I bet that's one thing they're not in a hurry to modernise.

Even the poor, beggars and homeless immigrants  have mobile phones these days. Are you uncomfortable  with monks using mobile phones?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Ancestors/ Buddhism/ Temple/Monks/Alcohol/

Perhaps  relevant  Perhaps  not but still very interesting that certain  tenets of the interwoven  belief  system that is Thai  Buddhism/ annimism/ spiritualism might include alcohol  consumption and ancestor worship but I doubt if they were practicing.

Relevance, that never matters on TV and I do find it interesting. I was just being funny but it comes across as being a jerk and I apologize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Even the poor, beggars and homeless immigrants  have mobile phones these days.

They aren't monks so this is completely irrelevant.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Are you uncomfortable  with monks using mobile phones?

Not the using of them per se, if they are doing it purely for monk purposes it might be OK.  If they do anything that goes against the rules of being a monk or the teachings that they are supposed to follow (which is quite likely), then of course that is a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Why are cops invovled in an internal religious squabble ?

Why not?  These people tell these people how to live, take their money and other donations, then they go and get drunk in secret when they aren't meant to.  At the very least it could be classed as fraud, or even disturbing the peace.

• Like 2

'We were drinking local rice whisky from local residents who wanted to give the spirits to their ancestors as a blessing. So we drank this whisky in order to deliver alcohol to those dead people'.

And then:

'Officers went to a temple in the Na Borkam sub-district after they were notified by local residents who were concerned that the group of monks was drinking alcohol'.

Ha ha, fell for that one didn't you brothers. LoL.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

They should become Catholic priests, they are allowed to drink wine in ceremonies (and smoke).

....And, sadly as many children in the World have found to there cost, what the Vatican allows them to do does not end there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Even the poor, beggars and homeless immigrants  have mobile phones these days. Are you uncomfortable  with monks using mobile phones?

Coming from a Nanny State, I have mixed feelings about donating money to beggars playing with the latest i-phone.........

• Like 1