Omicron set to delay reopening of bars and pubs

webfact

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And that, is the whole issue with the Omicron Variant.

The numbers getting sick are huge, and of those, only a small percentage will probably need Hospital Care.

However, that mall percentage will probably be enough people to overwhelm the Health Care Services in many Countries.

Of the 600 people you say with a serious problem in Thailand, in 2 Days time that number could well be 1200, and in 4 Days 2400 such is the speed at which Omicron transmits.

Short lived though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Just entering late puberty at 61.  Heavy smoker and drinker, perfect blood pressure and cholesterol, take no medication for anything whatsoever and never have done.

Difficult to believe the heavy smoking hasn't damaged your lungs!  Can you run a couple of Kms?

Still, made it this far and still going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

If I had to rate it against my worst case of influenza in about 1995 that laid me up for a fortnight and I lost 15kg in weight,

I am in agreement with you i had the same about this time (mid 90s)  that was truly bad

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

You would have been reasonably correct until circa 2015. 

In today's brave new world, criticizing someone's opinion is the same as criticizing them personally, and only one step below genocide - although I believe the Intersectionalists are working on rearranging the batting order.

I had intended to finish with "of course if you wish to carry on like a big girl.......". Bit late now. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Infection number are not important at all. the amount of people getting real sick and need to got to a hospital are. There are less than 600 people in Thailand with a serious problem.

It is infections that are currently closing places down.....so to say the numbers are not important is narrow sighted and plain wrong. Tell that to those forced to isolate, go into quarantine, isolation, or close down their business. 

That may be an incorrect policy.... but it is what we have!

I also am admittedly puzzled by the authorities speaking as though they can open and close venues of different sorts, without any relation to the reality out there, when there are multiple places that have never closed and a ton that recently opened. I know TIT, but this is getting bizarre even for Thailand. There is a newish makeshift complex of 20 or more tiny bars jammed together on a certain soi in the Nana district of Sukhumvit, with a few hundred people at night, more than half of whom would fit the description of "bar girl", the rest (besides the operators) farang men. Mask use at maybe 10 %. And it's all invisible? I don't want to rain on the parade, but this could be a news story very soon; if I'm wrong and it doesn't happen, then the coast is clear to rush to the finish line of the pandemic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Only the ones I know, or heard talking.  The anti vax mob are vociferously  loud and self  righteous in their views. I certainly  did not see foreign bar owners setting an example in getting vaccinated or helping their staff get vaccinated. Did you?

How would you know? Did you visit all the bars? Come on. A sweeping assumption.????

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Only the ones I know, or heard talking.  The anti vax mob are vociferously  loud and self  righteous in their views. I certainly  did not see foreign bar owners setting an example in getting vaccinated or helping their staff get vaccinated. Did you?

Leading by example and helping staff get vaccinated  would be a marvellous  and responsible way to support  the Thai  medical  authorities.  Where was that support? Bars could have been part of a positive  campaign instead of education , help and support.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It is infections that are currently closing places down.....so to say the numbers are not important is narrow sighted and plain wrong. Tell that to those forced to isolate, go into quarantine, isolation, or close down their business. 

That may be an incorrect policy.... but it is what we have!

The policy based on infections is plain wrong, this should be based on stress on the hospitals and their staff.

2 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Didn't yu learn anything  about Hitler, Stalin  and other governments when it comes to the media?  You actually  believe everything  you read?  You actually  believe  the numbers are correct.    Hey!  That reminds me I have some beachfront  property  in Arizona.   Its not expensive.   Would you like to purchase  some land on the moon?    The numbers have veen going down, indeeed.  How is tgat possible  when the rest of the worlds numbers are breaking daily records?  I been here two years watching this, and I can tell you with certainty that I know more people around me with the Vid tgan there was before.   Did you even  think about your statement  beforehand?

Have you ever learned to read properly? i am talking about the numbers of people in hospitals, not about people who have the virus but are asymptomatic.

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Bar staff had to be vaccinated  but their owners and managers, often covid cynics, anti mask and anti vax did not have to be vaccinated.

We're all vaccinated even me (staff, owner, partner and wife) nobody risks in a restaurant not beiing vaccinated

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

I wonder when the muppets will decide that Omicron is being spread by the swimming pools and beaches, and so they all need to be closed again? Plus ca change, etc.

Please don't talk about it and give them ideas.. 

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

I wonder when the muppets will decide that Omicron is being spread by the swimming pools and beaches, and so they all need to be closed again? Plus ca change, etc.

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Fully expected this to happen.  You can kiss away any entertainment to be sanctioned for opening until June, and that may be wishful thinking.  Thailand is now on a full-throttle downward dive into oblivion.

I got covid on New Years Eve after getting the Pfizer jabs last year.  Don't know what flavor because I self tested, not wanting to end up in a Gulag (or even a Stalag) by being officially tested by the local Commissars. 

Anyway, I've done the right thing and stayed home like a good little Comrade and done my best to prevent myself from initiating the destruction of mankind.

Now day 5 or 6, a runny nose, the odd sneeze, healthy appetite, and restful unbroken sleep.  If I had to rate it against my worst case of influenza in about 1995 that laid me up for a fortnight and I lost 15kg in weight, the covid I'm experiencing doesn't even rate as a mild Cold.  I'm actually disappointed.

Informative. Did you get night sweats? Did you test more than once?

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Friend was over for beers yesterday afternoon and he said massage shops were being closed again from Today.

Anyone heard about this ?

Yeah but many/most of the "closed" ones in Udon and Jomtien last year were wide open and never turned me away. Not to worry. The girls just lounged around out front in street clothes instead of genie uniforms. ????????

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A key figure at the Thai Ministry of Public Healthy indicated yesterday that pubs, bars and nightlife entertainment were likely to remain shut after the middle of this month.

Time to re-model.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

It wasn't  spreading until they allowed the bars to open under the radar, and the pleasure  before saftey  seekers started showing up in Thailand  and neglecting  to follow protocol.   I still see these geniuses  walking around maskless.  Greed and pleasure  before saftey  of neighbors  and self!

• Like 1