Thailand reports 7,526 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed.  Just imagine how many symptomless people there are who are not bothering to get tested at all, and are just walking around with "a cold"!

Yes great what vaccines/boosters do to help stop serious symptoms. Similar to delta breakthroughs

Extending the sandbox area's again which at least is something to be positive about

The registration to enter Thailand via the tourist sandboxes, with seven days quarantine period, in Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga and Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan and Ko Tao) will be reopened on January 11 after it was halted on December 22.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/36302/thailand-adjusts-entry-permissions-restarts-sandbox-entries-halts-text-and-go/

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

A predictable increase which should support the Junta's favourite restrictions which will be announced later today. 

Almost like clockwork... ????

So how many deaths from Omicron? Do they know yet if a person dies from Omicron or the Flu. The Chinese would know as they detected Omicron in Vietnamese Dragón fruit. Sad but true.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

A predictable increase which should support the Junta's favourite restrictions which will be announced later today. 

Almost like clockwork... ????

I suppose this also means that the "State of Emergency" will be extended again - for the 16TH TIME! ????

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Most measures announced in this article:

Thai Covid Center holds major meeting, makes Omicron measure related announcements

https://tpnnational.com/2022/01/07/thai-covid-center-holds-major-meeting-makes-omicron-measure-related-announcements/

Good to see no changes in the Blue Zones.  The "pub-eateries" can party on and I can have a glass of wine or beer with my meal.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NicholasTH said:
7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It's pretty clear that those cheap ATK kits are having problems detecting Omicron. 

Made in China I expect

So that's why China's numbers are so low????

These numbers are nothing compared to the daily totals for Los Angeles County,   But the state of California and Los Angeles County have got their priorities right:

L.A. County reports record 37,000 daily coronavirus cases but says Super Bowl still on

Too much money is at stake.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense, it is a Covid strain......a Corona Virus.

Colds are mostly  rhinoviruses

That will answer my question, where I caught my cold. They told me it was a buffalo, but it looked more like a rhino to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ianwheldale said:

So I skimmed through the entire thread and it seems the very low mortality rate is of no interest or significance to any of the posters. Absolutely unbelievable!

Low mortality rate but if hospitals end up with too many covid admissions and have to cancel routine health care then the health system is under too much pressure. It's not just the mortality, it's pressure on health services and don't forget the symptoms of long covid that can result, that is something no one in Thailand seems to talk about. A good friend had covid April 2020 and has struggled with his sleep ever since.

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was never one for closing bars now that Omicron is out in the wild, the UK managed Omicron without closing bars or clubs, although their immunity levels are higher than Thailand. The schools are the most important aspect to the measures that concern me. Having bars open and schools shut I will never agree with.

Schools don't generate enough money for those at the top, plus they need the uneducated to carry out all the unskilled work in their big industries. Can't have the peasants bettering themselves and threatening the elite circles hold on power. Totally agree with you though, if other nonessential business are open then schools should 100% be open.

Edited by Petey11
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Time to bid Omicron “welcome” to Thailand.

Will in theory spread like crazy here, due to little free testing and the “Go to hospital jail” rules, if positive.

Oz has tested itself Into a stupor and 78k cases today! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was never one for closing bars now that Omicron is out in the wild, the UK managed Omicron without closing bars or clubs, although their immunity levels are higher than Thailand. The schools are the most important aspect to the measures that concern me. Having bars open and schools shut I will never agree with.

As you know, I completely agree with you.  For a change, it looks like I'm lucky as my son's small international school in Bangkok has confirmed it's staying open (for the time being anyway!), term having started last week.  Every kid has to do a weekly ATK test on Sunday night, but I can live with that!

Hospitals are full or 100% ICU bed utilization are numbers that are dynamic.  When I was working in Los Angeles County Law Enforcement this would be frequent broadcast over the Fire Department frequencies: “County USC is full, divert to MLK or Harbor UCLA”.  The number of patients in hospitals can change by the minute.  Also, what percentage of the patients in ICU’s are strictly Covid?  

Just now, Fairynuff said:

Omicron is here so we can expect a massive rise in cases. How are they going to hospitalize people who just need to isolate for a week or so if numbers reach 200k a day like in the UK.

They're not.  Asymptomatic people should isolate at home.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Extending the sandbox area's again which at least is something to be positive about

The registration to enter Thailand via the tourist sandboxes, with seven days quarantine period, in Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga and Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan and Ko Tao) will be reopened on January 11 after it was halted on December 22.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/36302/thailand-adjusts-entry-permissions-restarts-sandbox-entries-halts-text-and-go/

Yet it still appears those with prior test n go approvals are still good to go, pending a clarification and publication.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JackGats said:

News just in at 13:30 local time in The Tiger: "BREAKING: Test & Go registration closed indefinitely, must enter before January 15"

Show a link to an actual government report and not a reporters view. Other reports have said no decision made on those prior approvals.

Edited by ThailandRyan

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Sometimes the problem is not with the tests but with how they are used. Swabbing nasal passages is just not enough, must do throat as well. Lots of posts on Twitter about this from those who are definitely positive, but get a negative ATK if just doin nasal swab

No It has to be China's fault, thats what we are brainwashed to think fullstop.

According to Dr. John Campbell, whose YouTube channel I watch daily, the reason that the present vaccines are not very effective against Omicron is because the animal vector of Omicron is different.  It originates from mice.   It is very transmissible.  Various members of my family living in different locations in the US have caught the virus from people who thought that they only had colds.  They are now quarantining.   

Due to my advanced age, I will try to get a booster shot tomorrow at Bang Sue.  The Moderna shots that I have bought are still not available.  When they are, there may be a competitive signup crunch as in the past.  I don’t like the way that the distribution of the vaccines is being handled in Thailand.  There is no priority given to foreigners of an advanced age.  I hope that I can get the Pfizer booster quickly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

According to Dr. John Campbell, whose YouTube channel I watch daily, the reason that the present vaccines are not very effective against Omicron is because the animal vector of Omicron is different.  It originates from mice.   It is very transmissible.  Various members of my family living in different locations in the US have caught the virus from people who thought that they only had colds.  They are now quarantining.   

Not according to John Campbell but according to a Chinese study, however its in pre print:

A similar study was conducted in the US.

"The authors emphasized that the inter-species transmission theory is just that, a theory, one of many posited so far for how omicron could have developed. (Others have previously speculated it may have developed inside a single immunocompromised person with a long-lasting infection.)"

I wouldn't put too much weight on that yet....

• Like 1