Personal Challenges in Thailand

Guest Isaanlife

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Do government hospitals treat foreigners the same as Thai's? Past experience to me has shown that they are massively overcrowded and even simple procedures taking months. Hospitals in my area are very run down and I would not wish to place my life in their hands. It would be nice if there was a hospital system that was semi private but not extortionate in it's prices. I had a minor op cost 2000 pounds and a biopsy for about 800 quid. Money disappears very quickly in the private hospitals. 

Yes there's the possibility of hopping on a plane if it's not urgent but the UK has long waiting lists for non urgent ops, perhaps India is an option for those without insurance.

Any info on how the hospital works in India if you are just a tourist?

1 hour ago, Isaanlife said:

Any info on how the hospital works in India if you are just a tourist?

You have to get a medical visa for entrance to India...

If you think these hospitals are crowded you're in for a huge awakening at the sea of humanity waiting to be seen in the hospitals there - literally 100's & 100's.... Incredible sight....

I had opted to have a procedure done there - gall bladder...

Never again would I opt to go to India, especially after also having surgery here & able to compare services & facilities - hip done here...

Also beware you may/will be scammed at the airport on the flight out....We flew in with the allowable 50# limit....Flying out you are allowed 40# & taxed on the overage = cost me $400.00 "tax/surcharge/tariff" to take the exact same weight of luggage out that we flew in with ... 

Horrible place - dead bodies on sidewalks stripped of their clothes...Robbed after death....NO respect for personal space....Traffic that makes the drivers here look good/sane .. .. Misery & dirty everywhere you look....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's also the option of having no treatment at all.

Lots of stuff gets better if left alone (free), and if you die still free, or was misdiagnosed by the doctors.

I've refused two operations on me (must have or die), 8 years later still here.

And one on my five year old son (must have or die), 5 years later still here.

Overall, on average, I wouldn't want to bet my life on your approach to things.... unless I had a death wish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredscats said:

Is this in your dreams?  medical visa?  b.ollocks,tourist visa 6 months 2 visits allowed. Laughable to extreme this statement, "dead bodies in street robbed, after death"  ,how u know they were robbed after death,maybe before ?   ,make believe,  "flew in/flew out scammed " LOL  Think you missed the right dept while there sunshine.

Just Google or Skype any of private 50 hospitals there in Calcutta, nearest point,see recommendations,surely cannot in Thailand 

True state run hospitals are overrun and foreigners go there too to for treatment, why oh! why?    ,NHS UK flew out patients there,hip/leg replacements   been myself many times   prostate op 43000 baht quote Th, 700US there,one week private room. India medical hub of the world ( Medifee.com)  How much colonoscopy here in TH   35000baht ish     starts 800 baht there

But I do know where you landed....Mumbai,bit of a shock,but just Mumbai,  Calcutta  ? clean,ultra modern,really good,fantastic sights too   2 hours away from bkk    5000baht return,when covid allows

This was in Chennai & everything as stated = happened....

Flew in from the states...Received the medical tourist visa from their office in SF as per their instructions.... About 2007...

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

This was in Chennai & everything as stated = happened....

Flew in from the states...Received the medical tourist visa from their office in SF as per their instructions.... About 2007...

Firstly you were taken for an idiot,"as per their instructions"  right,  saw you coming a mile off lol....you paid over odds for visa,paid over the odds for operation at run down state run hospital in Mumbai,  changed airline in India for onward flight to BKK with lower weight limit

You needed some research,not much tho,Google is your friend

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have 2 examples of that also, a meniscus tear in my knee, i had an op booked and decided to cancel, been fine for a few years now. Shoulder injury, consultant in UK said 50\50 better with op and 6 weeks no golf so I didn't go ahead, shoulder fine for years

Same here,was in Spain tho when tear occurred,gees was it painful,but on way to airport BKK bound

BKK hardly off plane, took another flight to Calcutta couple of hours away,had op following morning 5am,bandaged up,hopped on retuning plane back to BKK within 24 hours,took 6 weeks to become pain free,but cost saving immense

• Like 2

I am personally challenged by things I can do something about. The rest is wasted energy.

1/ Staying mentally active

2/ Maintaining/increasing physical fitness

3/ Staying below 90 kg

4/ Enjoying sex with my GF

5/ Breaking my age on the golf course

6/ Maintaining communication with friends

7/ Staying alive and unscathed in Thai traffic

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Firstly you were taken for an idiot,"as per their instructions"  right,  saw you coming a mile off lol....you paid over odds for visa,paid over the odds for operation at run down state run hospital in Mumbai,  changed airline in India for onward flight to BKK with lower weight limit

You needed some research,not much tho,Google is your friend

Had never been to Thailand at that time....Flew in & out of SFO United Airlines via Frankfurt....

And, obtained the visa as India required....

The car dropped us at the airport with just enough time to check in....Many people were unhappy with the tarrif....Some discarding stuff, others shipping separately - which we didn't have time to do....The airport had souvenir shops selling a lot of heavy brass/metal bells & trinkets..... Fortunately, we didn't add any weight getting any....We left with the exact same luggage weight we arrived with...

You keep telling me where I was & where I flew to, what hospital; and to no one's surprise = wrong on all counts.....

Find someplace else to spout your misguided  nonsense....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Had never been to Thailand at that time....Flew in & out of SFO United Airlines via Frankfurt....

And, obtained the visa as India required....

The car dropped us at the airport with just enough time to check in....Many people were unhappy with the tarrif....Some discarding stuff, others shipping separately - which we didn't have time to do....The airport had souvenir shops selling a lot of heavy brass/metal bells & trinkets..... Fortunately, we didn't add any weight getting any....We left with the exact same luggage weight we arrived with...

You keep telling me where I was & where I flew to, what hospital; and to no one's surprise = wrong on all counts.....

Find someplace else to spout your misguided  nonsense....

Not Mumbai? Delhi then? not much better,good job it wasn't Mumbai tho,you would have been even more  shocked,but airport lounges are far superior there

Not far off tho with state run hospital,yes bodies do pile up,until guy with hand cart piles 'em high,bullocks not allowed to carry 'em away in carts,they s.hit all over

Having had private medical care in India and Thailand, India is much more professional, cheaper and the doctors actually converse with you like an adult with concerns about your health. 

Thailand beats India on everything else though except Doctors. 

My major challenges are a) what does the future hold, things change on a whim here (everything) b) dealing with the heat and humidity most of the year (March to September I usually go back to europe a couple of times) c) reading the news, I detest Thai politics, HiSO system and media.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think moving on in Life .and knowing what to do .would like to buy  a house with a trust worthy women. And not being tricked into doing something I don't. And she moves on ...if not get what she wants From you .and take whatever she got from you ..but trying to keep your life in your control is not moving on.i still feel like a tourist..

• Like 2

Pacemaker Implantation Cost In India. The price for pacemaker implantation starts at USD 3,400 for single chamber implantation, and it varies depending upon various factors that include: Requirement of Pacemaker

This is what would concern me eventually,here in Thailand this procedure would be a fortune,there,not so,last for 10 years or so ,even more,get battery check up  Anything to do with heart inc by-pass etc  cheap

6 hours ago, fredscats said:

Is this in your dreams?  medical visa?  b.ollocks,tourist visa 6 months 2 visits allowed. Laughable to extreme this statement, "dead bodies in street robbed, after death"  ,how u know they were robbed after death,maybe before ?   ,make believe,  "flew in/flew out scammed " LOL  Think you missed the right dept while there sunshine.

Just Google or Skype any of private 50 hospitals there in Calcutta, nearest point,see recommendations,surely cannot in Thailand 

True state run hospitals are overrun and foreigners go there too to for treatment, why oh! why?    ,NHS UK flew out patients there,hip/leg replacements   been myself many times   prostate op 43000 baht quote Th, 700US there,one week private room. India medical hub of the world ( Medifee.com)  How much colonoscopy here in TH   35000baht ish     starts 800 baht there

But I do know where you landed....Mumbai,bit of a shock,but just Mumbai,  Calcutta  ? clean,ultra modern,really good,fantastic sights too   2 hours away from bkk    5000baht return,when covid allows

I spent two years in India from 95 till 97, travelling around, Varanasi was the only place I saw dead bodies, they were by the Gangees river, where the cremated them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Securing enough quality ganja.

I notice some enterprising Thai's selling quality seeds on FB. It's possible to grow your own these days. Everything you need is on Lazada and Shopee. All you require is an unused shower room are large closet...for an indoor tent. They say the hardest part here is keeping the temps reasonable . A/C is a must.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

I notice some enterprising Thai's selling quality seeds on FB. It's possible to grow your own these days. Everything you need is on Lazada and Shopee. All you require is an unused shower room are large closet...for an indoor tent. They say the hardest part here is keeping the temps reasonable . A/C is a must.

Just buy from UK seedbanks, they have no problems posting here and much better prices than FB.

My friend can recommend 'The Vault' and 'Grizzly'.

They come in a plain brown jiffy bag.

No need for aircon, they grow just fine at normal Thai room temperature.

So my friend tells me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

I think moving on in Life .and knowing what to do .would like to buy  a house with a trust worthy women. And not being tricked into doing something I don't. And she moves on ...if not get what she wants From you .and take whatever she got from you ..but trying to keep your life in your control is not moving on.i still feel like a tourist..

No need to find a trustworthy one. That is perhaps impossible.  Just one that is great in bed.  Then buy a house that you can afford to walk away from.  Mine cost me 270K baht.  It is 5 minutes from a stunning west coast beach.

• Like 1