ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

@transam@KhunLAMaybe the forum resident MG experts would like to comment as it would appear Brake failure has happened in the past

Here an report from September 2021

MG’s first official response was to blame the presence of a dash cam in the car and that this somehow caused the issue. They refused to both look at the dash cam footage or inspect the car. The repairs won’t investigate the braking system as their mandate comes from the insurance and not the manufactures and the insurance won’t intervene or investigate.

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/brakes-failed.3473/

3 yrs don't make me an expert, especially since I've yet to even change the oil or a tire on our MGs.  Push the button, starts, foot on accelerator.

Now take to dealer, they peek, I drink coffee, and before I'm done drinking coffee, told all good, no charge ... HAVE A NICE DAY ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

3 yrs don't make me an expert, especially since I've yet to even change the oil or a tire on our MGs.  Push the button, starts, foot on accelerator.

Now take to dealer, they peek, I drink coffee, and before I'm done drinking coffee, told all good, no charge ... HAVE A NICE DAY ????

It seems to me that you didn't do extensive research as you would have known about the brake failure issue here another example

MG ZS EV 2021 brakes not working

Discussion

Hi, had my MG ZS EV for just over a year now (bought June 2021) in the past 3 months it's suffered from the brakes not working twice. I've written a more detailed post on the MG community forum. https://www.mgevs.com/threads/high-speed-brake-fail-ghost-braking.6633/

My post here is to spread awareness of this problem and to see if anyone else has had similar issues with their car, especially if it's from new around the same time as ours as I'd like to get a report to MG for a potentially faulty batch of cars as no brakes is a very serious fault!

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It seems to me that you didn't do extensive research as you would have known about the brake failure issue here another example

MG ZS EV 2021 brakes not working

Discussion

Hi, had my MG ZS EV for just over a year now (bought June 2021) in the past 3 months it's suffered from the brakes not working twice. I've written a more detailed post on the MG community forum. https://www.mgevs.com/threads/high-speed-brake-fail-ghost-braking.6633/

My post here is to spread awareness of this problem and to see if anyone else has had similar issues with their car, especially if it's from new around the same time as ours as I'd like to get a report to MG for a potentially faulty batch of cars as no brakes is a very serious fault!

NO, I didn't scourer the forums, for every little mishap someone had in an MG.  People wouldn't buy any vehicles if they listened to people's complaints and mishaps.

MG has been making the EV version for 5 ish yrs (2018), so plenty of time to work the kinks out, along with some very nice upgrades.  No big headliner of issues. 

One or 2 issues they sorted out since 2018, with upgrades.  If a recall comes up for anything, I'm sure I'll hear about.  SAIC been building cars for decades, quite successfully.  

SAIC & MG haven't had any scandals like most of the other western auto makers, so I'd trust them way more than the rest.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:45 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

That figure is from the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Whatever else the IMF might be, it could hardly be described as a leftist organization.

That you believe that is even more hilarious than the numbers...

From the link: "60 percent is due to undercharging for global warming and local air pollution..." 

They also count what governments pay for fossil fuels as subsidies. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

NO, I didn't scourer the forums, for every little mishap someone had in an MG.  People wouldn't buy any vehicles if they listened to people's complaints and mishaps.

MG has been making the EV version for 5 ish yrs (2018), so plenty of time to work the kinks out, along with some very nice upgrades.  No big headliner of issues. 

One or 2 issues they sorted out since 2018, with upgrades.  If a recall comes up for anything, I'm sure I'll hear about.  SAIC been building cars for decades, quite successfully.  

SAIC & MG haven't had any scandals like most of the other western auto makers, so I'd trust them way more than the rest.

I think most of the MG owners on this forum are wearing rose tinted glasses I know you weren't aware of the water getting into the battery on 1st generation MG ZS EV until it was pointed out to you and you research the issue in the MG facebook groups.

I think potential brake failure is a concern for everyone both MG and non MG owners

Here are a few recalls notices for just this year

MG HS PHEV & MG HS +EV - Plug-in Hybrid Electric medium SUV

Due to a manufacturing defect, the carpet underlay may be positioned between the nut and the electrical ground stud. If the nut loosens overtime due to vibrations whilst driving, it could cause the wiring beneath the floor to overheat and it may result in a fire inside the vehicle.

https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-005652

SAIC Volkswagen recalls over 83,000 vehicles in China

https://www.shanghai.gov.cn/nw48081/20230811/807f58438244460486fa425db7b4077f.html#

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think most of the MG owners on this forum are wearing rose tinted glasses I know you weren't aware of the water getting into the battery on 1st generation MG ZS EV until it was pointed out to you and you research the issue in the MG facebook groups.

I think potential brake failure is a concern for everyone both MG and non MG owners

Here are a few recalls notices for just this year

MG HS PHEV & MG HS +EV - Plug-in Hybrid Electric medium SUV

Due to a manufacturing defect, the carpet underlay may be positioned between the nut and the electrical ground stud. If the nut loosens overtime due to vibrations whilst driving, it could cause the wiring beneath the floor to overheat and it may result in a fire inside the vehicle.

https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-005652

SAIC Volkswagen recalls over 83,000 vehicles in China

https://www.shanghai.gov.cn/nw48081/20230811/807f58438244460486fa425db7b4077f.html#

Yes, I was still researching when that was pointed out, thank you.  Had 6 months to finalize to research, actually 5, as car arrived 1 month early.

Ordered, and did not receive yet, actually quite a few months away when pointed out.   I almost cancelled the order, as very happy with the ICE version, and less than 2 yrs old.  Getting solar sealed the deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

@vinny41 waht car are you driving?

None at the moment Looking at ev at the moment but think there will be future developments over the next 3 years its a case of when is the best time to buy

I personally believe the market will be split into 2 ranges

Range 1 vehicles with a range of 900 km and under B1,500,000

Range 2 vehicles with a range exceeding 900km and with a price tag exceeding  B1,500,000

I don't think the range exceeding 900km will ever drop below B1,000,000

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, vinny41 said:

@transam@KhunLAMaybe the forum resident MG experts would like to comment as it would appear Brake failure has happened in the past

Here an report from September 2021

MG’s first official response was to blame the presence of a dash cam in the car and that this somehow caused the issue. They refused to both look at the dash cam footage or inspect the car. The repairs won’t investigate the braking system as their mandate comes from the insurance and not the manufactures and the insurance won’t intervene or investigate.

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/brakes-failed.3473/

MG will soon come out with a safety upgrade.

Anyone driving these Chinese contraptions should be on suicide watch.

Stock-anchor.jpg

t7redux-1_us_air_force_promo.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I saw a car almost crashed into the rear of another car. I thought it was a MG with brake failure but realised it was only a Thai driver with the usual brain failure.

I saw a runaway car and thought, oh crap, I'm selling my EV.   Looking closer, realized just another ICEV with stuck throttle, and panicked, brain dead driver, didn't think to just turn it off or put in neutral ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I saw a runaway car and thought, oh crap, I'm selling my EV.   Looking closer, realized just another ICEV with stuck throttle, and panicked, brain dead driver, didn't think to just turn it off or put in neutral ????

Where there is an accident, there is a MG.

Accident on Ratchapruek Road, outbound, Bang Wa BTS section, in the middle of the bridge over Petchkasem Road, four cars collided, there were no officers.

F7p0N9KawAA6nOs.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Where there is an accident, there is a MG.

Accident on Ratchapruek Road, outbound, Bang Wa BTS section, in the middle of the bridge over Petchkasem Road, four cars collided, there were no officers.

F7p0N9KawAA6nOs.jpeg

Very clearly caused by the ICE Honda trying to squeeze into a space that didn’t exist. The brain dead ICE Toyota driver thought his obsolete Jap made vehicle had the same safety features as CH made EVs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Very clearly caused by the ICE Honda trying to squeeze into a space that didn’t exist. The brain dead ICE Toyota driver thought his obsolete Jap made vehicle had the same safety features as CH made EVs.

The Vios is Thai made isn't it? 

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The Vios is Thai made isn't it? 

Yes, though I think discontinued, which makes sense, as the Varis is same thing.  Saw one today that actually looked nice, vs my usual opinion of them.  High gloss white paint job & very nice wheels.   Still a Varis though.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Watch that 'Jap' stuff, as I had posts deleted and warned not to use offensive slurs ????  Actually didn't know it was considered offensive.   Though possibly post reported as I think I might have been winning the discussion.

That seems to happen quite a lot, so put those folks on ignore list.  At least 3 use the report button to rid posts that point out their silliness.  Too funny.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 11:06 AM, Lacessit said:

The existing data says there are two intense shipboard fires with two cargoes of mixed EV/ICE vehicles.

Now show me an example of an intense shipboard fire involving a cargo of ICE vehicles alone.

QED.

Are you honestly trying to suggest that if there is a mixture of ICE and EV cars, any fire that occurs must be due to an EV?

And if you do think that, then I have some news that may surprise you.

See news item below, where a parked diesel Range Rover recently caught fire in Luton Airport multi-storey car park, completely destroying it and writing off around 1,400 vehicles.

Range Rover fire which sparked Luton airport car park collapse comes six years after Land Rover destroyed Liverpool's Echo Arena car park

Moreover, and as the headline points out, this was not the first time a fire caused by an ICE vehicle caused the loss of well over a thousand vehicles. The article goes on to point out that:

In 2017 a Land Rover burst into flames within a multi-storey car park in Liverpool, creating a 1,000C inferno that incinerated up to 1,600 vehicles. The fire was hot enough to melt aluminium and engulfed seven floors of the parking structure at the Echo Arena on Liverpool's waterfront. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Are you honestly trying to suggest that if there is a mixture of ICE and EV cars, any fire that occurs must be due to an EV?

And if you do think that, then I have some news that may surprise you.

See news item below, where a parked diesel Range Rover recently caught fire in Luton Airport multi-storey car park, completely destroying it and writing off around 1,400 vehicles.

Range Rover fire which sparked Luton airport car park collapse comes six years after Land Rover destroyed Liverpool's Echo Arena car park

Moreover, and as the headline points out, this was not the first time a fire caused by an ICE vehicle caused the loss of well over a thousand vehicles. The article goes on to point out that:

The data says ICE fires are much more frequent than EV fires. However, it is possible to extinguish an ICE fire. The same cannot be said of a an EV fire, and the combustion products are considerably more toxic.

You are making quite a good argument for avoiding the Rover brand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lithium batteries are heavy, toxic and highly explosive, expensive. Failed technology sold to public on false premise

Batteries are banned on undersides of planes but idiots will get in cars and do 150 kph

Only women and homosexuals drive cars with batteries. I am proudly neither.

spacer.png

So, if you're looking to get some head in while driving your ICE just look for the driver of an EV and give em a wink

Edited by Jelli
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jelli said:

Only women and homosexuals drive cars with batteries

And some would think only pussies would make a statement on a forum, that they wouldn't say to someone face.

And what's wrong with women and homosexuals' ?  I know a few that are truck drivers and would mop the floor with your prejudice A$$

You do know your ICEV has a battery ...

zgatoy_13645.gif

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BenStark said:

https://news.yahoo.com/most-americans-still-dont-want-172005090.html

Most Americans still don't want an electric car — and many EV buyers end up going back to gas

Since most Yanks can't rustle up $1000 for an emergency expense, does not buying a new car in the future surprise anyone.

Didn't read, but sounds like just another silly anti EV hit piece.

Not sure what UK, AU, EU or USA has to do with TH motor forum.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Since most Yanks can't rustle up $1000 for an emergency expense, does not buying a new car in the future surprise anyone.

Over a million new cars a month are sold in the US, and you do not need any money to buy one. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Over a million new cars a month are sold in the US, and you do not need any money to buy one. 

Except for that monthly payment .... 360M - 12M cars/year, sounds about right.  A bit less, as 1/3 too young, and maybe 1/6 too old = ~180M people.  

Top 3 best selling 2022 were trucks (+ 2 more in top 10), then the Rav4 @ #4

And here I though the yanks were struggling.   MSM doom & gloom BS strikes again.

Top 10 and none are inexpensive entry level:

source

Edited by KhunLA

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Problem is that most cars sold in the States are American and European brands. Very few MGs and BYDs are sold there, could be the anti-China sentiment. Other than Tesla, the most popular EV brand is Ford, meaning Mach E, F150 lightning etc. If I owned one of these, I would probably not buy another EV either.

• Like 1