ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

17 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So you'd happily sit behind the exhaust pipes would you?

I think if you're driving sitting behind the exhaust pipe you're doing it wrong. In the Toureg I sat on camel coloured Puglia leather breathing in fine Vanilla scents. No smell whatsoever. And as for the car being "rattly", not even a little.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For those needing a visual aid ... BEV & ICEV buyer start out with same bank balance, used to buy in & to energize / fuel vehicles for 8 years @฿5 / kWh (PEA) and ฿36 / L (PTT) respectfully.   UP2 U 

image.png.6b7f517bc1822a2cbadf85dab526c317.png

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Steering back to ICEV vs EV ... here's  fine example why I'd never buy another underperforming, overpriced ICEV, of any version.

I get the impression, ICEV shoppers don't look at specs.  Something I do, compare specs before I even walk into a showroom.   Why waste my time looking at under spec'd vehicles.

Which would you choose  ... and why ?  

Or post 2 like, apples & apples cars for comparison, and convince me the ICEV is a better value.

My earlier 700k baht car comparison didn't even look at specs, just the petrol savings.

image.png.b3bade99a96bae73b76dffef5d48c33d.png

image.png.ba16d9649c7e207dbaf033410e099d6d.png

image.png.9931f0bcfe6337fdd601da3c7d28070d.png

Your earlier car comparison didn't turn out well when comparing MG ZS with MG ZS EV

The figures are using lots of Cherries

2020 MG ZS EV purchase price B1,190,000 

2020 MG ZS purchase price Model D B700,000

On one2car 2020 MG ZS price range from B309,000 to B428,000

On one2car 2020 MG ZS EV price range from B386,000 to B499,000

Current new prices for MG ZS EV B599,000

Current new price for MG ZS model D B599,000

MG ZS EV 2020 price has been reduced by B591,000

MG ZS 2020 model D price has been reduced by B101,000

On top of all of the above add insurance costs for MG ZS EV compared to MG ZS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't understand how you can find a Hybrid driving experience superior to a BEV.  That makes no sense.

Indeed it's not the driving experience. It's the ability to fuel up at a petrol station whenever I need to. Unlike with a BEV which can't do that. So range, with a Hybrid, is never an issue. But with a BEV it's a headache.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Your earlier car comparison didn't turn out well when comparing MG ZS with MG ZS EV

The figures are using lots of Cherries

2020 MG ZS EV purchase price B1,190,000 

2020 MG ZS purchase price Model D B700,000

On one2car 2020 MG ZS price range from B309,000 to B428,000

On one2car 2020 MG ZS EV price range from B386,000 to B499,000

Current new prices for MG ZS EV B599,000

Current new price for MG ZS model D B599,000

MG ZS EV 2020 price has been reduced by B591,000

MG ZS 2020 model D price has been reduced by B101,000

On top of all of the above add insurance costs for MG ZS EV compared to MG ZS

That's because you're using the old price, and ignoring the new price available, which makes them the same buy in price.  For lack of repeating myself, and for others actually interest.

image.png.4159fdc71cef7ad779ca5760f714577a.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Indeed it's not the driving experience. It's the ability to fuel up at a petrol station whenever I need to. Unlike with a BEV which can't do that. So range, with a Hybrid, is never an issue. But with a BEV it's a headache.

If you do long journeys regularly, a BEV is not for you unless you enjoy the breaks.  I do Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai every 2-3 weeks and I could get there and back without recharging.

I occasionally go to Kamphaeng Phet, I could probably get there without charging in ECO mode, but I prefer the NORMAL mode.  I don't go any further than that by road.

11 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

False, you can top up when ever you want to, and range has never been an issue in my BEV experience, unless you enjoy driving 4+ hrs straight without stopping.

CS are location (country) dependent, but no prob in TH ... 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

An MG4 EV with 4 exhaust pipes sound like.....a nutter on wheels 🛞?

20240901_093826.jpg

20240901_093806.jpg

I posted this before but I saw a similar Atto 3. Same location as yours. I guess it's a Thonglor thing.

WhatsAppImage2024-01-06at18_25_22.jpeg.3bbf9546a5a11916cd9ce5089521badd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bkknirvana said:

EVs are all about control. They have nothing to do with the environment because global warming is a hoax.

Probably correct, in the future.   But at the moment, it's a better performing vehicle, that cost less, or should, if in a country that isn't anti CH.

32 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What are you using for water heater or is it cold 🥶 showers only in ur household?

Regular water heater with no problem.  Still well under my 6.2 KW limit.  Think the 5 second limit is 10KW.  My situation is much different than yours.  I have a small home and rarely run both ACs at the same time.  You probably use as much energy at 3am that I do at noon.

I do take cold showers in the afternoon and jump in my ice bath which is an energy hog.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And you are  ignoring the fact that anyone that bought   a MG ZS EV in 2020 would have seen the value of their car being reduced by the Brand by a whopping B591,000

It seems you made the right choice in 2020 going with the MG ZS and not the MG ZS EV

as you said yourself  hard to justify extra B500,000 for ZS EV at the time

https://aseannow.com/topic/1233709-electric-vehicles-of-all-kinds/#comment-16864154

At the time, I wouldn't pay 1.2M for any car.  EV 949k was a big stretch for me, though really glad we did, as the performance is almost worth the 250k over the our 2020 ICE version price.

Now, knowing how well they perform, if younger, I'd probably pick up that Maxus 9, if discounted a bit, and convert it.   Or another van that wasn't so plush & cheaper.   Unless someone came out with a decent E- pick up, worthy of putting 'E-camper' on the back.

That's (pick up) actually still an option I'm open for, since it's just the 2 of us, and I don't need a back seat.

Need to do it fast, as I ain't getting any younger.

Edited by KhunLA

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you do long journeys regularly, a BEV is not for you unless you enjoy the breaks.  I do Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai every 2-3 weeks and I could get there and back without recharging.

I occasionally go to Kamphaeng Phet, I could probably get there without charging in ECO mode, but I prefer the NORMAL mode.  I don't go any further than that by road.

Yes, so basically you could never drive from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, or take a tour through Thailand with the car without careful planning and calculation as to charging, where are the charging facilities, etc. It's just a headache you don't have a with a Hybrid or ICE.

Not saying I do that every day, but it's nice to have that option.

It's not just the sensible range arguments though, it's also the more intangible factor "feeling". Even when I see a new Honda Accord it can make my beating heart race faster. However, none of these Chinese BEVs can achieve that. Not sure why that is, but it seems to me the BEV only really appeals to people who are extremely careful with money or environmental people. But BEVs don't speak to the heart. When even a Honda Accord can accomplish that.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

At the time, I wouldn't pay 1.2M for any car.  949k was a big stretch for me, though really glad we did, as the performance is almost worth the 250k over the our 2020 ICE version price.

Now, knowing how well they perform, if younger, I'd probably pick up that Maxus 9, if discounted a bit, and convert it.   Or another van that wasn't so plush & cheaper.   Unless someone came out with a decent E- pick up, worthy of putting 'E-camper' on the back.

That's (pick up) actually still on option I'm open for, since it's just the 2 of us, and I don't need a back seat.

And you have the added bonus that your 2022 MG ZS EV has only reduced in price by MG B350,000 compared to  B591,000 if you had bought the ZS EV in 2020

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

Yes, so basically you could never drive from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, or take a tour through Thailand with the car without careful planning and calculation as to charging, where are the charging facilities, etc. It's just a headache you don't have a with a Hybrid or ICE.

Not saying I do that every day, but it's nice to have that option.

It's not just the sensible range arguments though, it's also the more intangible factor "feeling". Even when I see a new Honda Accord it can make my beating heart race faster. However, none of these Chinese BEVs can achieve that. Not sure why that is, but it seems to me the BEV only really appeals to people who are extremely careful with money or environmental people. But BEVs don't speak to the heart. When even a Honda Accord can accomplish that.

If I wanted to drive to Bangkok, I wouldn't need to do any planning, there are high speed chargers every 30km or so.

If I was going somewhere off the beaten path, I may need to plan depending where it was, but I can't think of anywhere, I would comfortably drive to Khao Lak or Phuket though I would much rather fly.

A Honda Accord doesn't do it for me.  Unless it had a 5 litre, twin-turbo engine and could match the performance of my EV.  I like the thrill of a powerful car.

I also love the amount of time I save not having to fill up my car at fuel stations.  I particularly like the way they have set up the suspension, I love that I can power slide it predictably.  I've only ever had one car I could do that with predictably, that was a Honda and 25 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, bkknirvana said:

EVs are all about control. They have nothing to do with the environment because global warming is a hoax.

I don't know if global warming is reality or not. Neither do you, even though I sense you will tell me you know for sure it is a hoax 🙂  I'm not overly concerned about you or 99.99% of people on this earth. 

You're combining global warming and EV ownership together for some strange reasons.  The only reason EVs are taking off is that they are arguably cheaper to drive.  It has almost nothing to do with the environment.  My cynical opinion 🙂

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

A Honda Accord doesn't do it for me.  Unless it had a 5 litre, twin-turbo engine and could match the performance of my EV.  I like the thrill of a powerful car.

According to Car and Driver, the Honda Accord V6 does 0-60 in 5.6 secs, 

The MG ZS EV needs 8.3 secs.

It seems the Honda Accord V6 is more powerful than most BEVs.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, atpeace said:

I think that is a good description of many EV owners.  I'm going to buy an EV because I enjoy traveling but don't do it as much as I would like because of the costs to fuel my truck.  Also, any type of car from a Porche to a Tesla S doesn't excite me much.  Just want to get to where I'm going and do things that do excite me.

I can see that from a purely economic perspective a BEV can indeed make sense. If that's the main concern for people, then of course why not.

Just now, Cameroni said:

The Accord V6 was dropped in Thailand a long time ago.

My EV does 0-60 in under 3.8 seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

The MG ZS EV is a small family SUV.   Do apples to apples ...

MG4 Xpower ... 3.8 secs

At least post something that's available.  Honda Accords available now, are a bit slow.  Even the HEV is rated at ~8 secs

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

And you are  ignoring the fact that anyone that bought   a MG ZS EV in 2020 would have seen the value of their car being reduced by the Brand by a whopping B591,000

It seems you made the right choice in 2020 going with the MG ZS and not the MG ZS EV

as you said yourself  hard to justify extra B500,000 for ZS EV at the time

https://aseannow.com/topic/1233709-electric-vehicles-of-all-kinds/#comment-16864154

Seems like you’re ignoring the fact that we are in the closing stages of 2024…

Edited by HighPriority
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Seems like you’re ignoring the fact that we are in the closing stages of 2024…

w

Willful stupidity or creeping dementia…?

If you purchase a vehicle how much do you expect the Brand to reduce the price in a 4 year period and would you buy the vehicle knowing that the price could be reduced by nearly 50%

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If you purchase a vehicle how much do you expect the Brand to reduce the price in a 4 year period and would you buy the vehicle knowing that the price could be reduced by nearly 50%

That is a problem for EV owners. What is the most expensive part of an EV?  It is the battery with its battery management system and the prices for 2020 batteries/BMS which were great and still are good has dropped by more than 50%.  It is ironic that the biggest buying concern might be that it would be better to wait because the rate of battery improvements is  insanely fast.

Edited by atpeace
  • Thumbs Up 1