Pattaya officials and law enforcement give stern warnings to “restaurants” to ensure no alcohol sales are allowed after 9PM

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It makes sense... as everybody knows that after 9 pm this is when the Covid/Omicron bugs go out to attack imbibers who drink alcohol after those hours, yep, make sense to me...

It´s as I always thought too. Covid is sleeping all day just to be alert and attack at night. Then, if you drink over 4 beer, you are most vulnerable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Alcohol must stop being served at restaurants and converted restaurants (see below) by 9 PM. A normal restaurant that doesn’t sell alcohol can stay open until it’s regular legal closing time, however, if the venue primarily sells alcohol or is a converted restaurant (formerly a bar) it must close at 9PM.

Why the confusing statement(s)?

Give the establishment(!) a licence that says it is a "restaurant" or a licence that says it is a "converted restaurant (formerly a bar)" on receipt of the appropriate brown envelope and an appropriate sticker outside for all to see what time it is meant to shut.  No more confusion (55555)!

• Haha 2

I think the way they decide who can stay open after 9 or not is this:

If they have a genuine kitchen and an actual restaurant license, they can stay open until late so long as they clear the tables of booze at 2100.

If they have just a Sterno and a bag of Mama Noodles, they're likely not a genuine restaurant and must completely close at 2100.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, smedly said:

if you test positive for covid you will be taken away and detained for at least 10 days and extorted for another wad of cash

I asked a number of questions about testing and got no answers.  The testers stand at the entrance to a complex of bars posing as restaurants, if you decide you want to go in, you agree to a test?  If your test shows you have the disease what happens?  Are you whisked away & incarcerated forcibly?  Who pays for the incarceration?  Treatment? What if the test is wrong?  

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I asked a number of questions about testing and got no answers.  The testers stand at the entrance to a complex of bars posing as restaurants, if you decide you want to go in, you agree to a test?  If your test shows you have the disease what happens?  Are you whisked away & incarcerated forcibly?  Who pays for the incarceration?  Treatment? What if the test is wrong?  

they already have your details before you take the test - there have been several people reported they are forced into isolation but no solid real confirmation, Thais are told to go and quarantine at home 

There is no way I am exposing myself to this - I am fully vaxed and if I suspect I have omicron (cold symptoms) no matter what a test says I will go home and isolate myself, I know of many doing this already or have done 

PS is you are forced into quarantine you will be paying - more like a scam to me

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Is the rule serving after 9pm or drinking after 9pm? Can you buy 5 beers at 20.59 then spend 2 hours drinking them?

Of course. Or go to the next soi near every shophouse in Thailand has a concrete table and no rules.

Thailand not very good at enforcement. In Houston TX years ago saw last call around 1:15AM. At 01:45 armed cops working overtime shifts come in threatening jail unless bottles are put down mid sip and customer don't leave immediately. A true Police state.

4 hours ago, big dendrobenaes said:

so people had better STOCK UP at 8.50 (20.50)  or earlier !!!!!

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is the rule serving after 9pm or drinking after 9pm? Can you buy 5 beers at 20.59 then spend 2 hours drinking them?

With respect, from the OP above:-

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

if the venue primarily sells alcohol or is a converted restaurant (formerly a bar) it must close at 9PM. This includes all customers being removed from the venue.

No such "temperance" BS rules here in Cambodia. Many restaurants, bars, beer gardens etc. open all day (including from 2pm to 5pm) until well into the evening (beyond midnight in some places), Omicron allowing!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

At the first easing of restrictions bars and restaurants in Spain had to close by 6pm. 

There were lots of work hours missed because 'Pedro' took it upon himself to extended the normal 2pm to 4pm siesta/lunch  hours to 6pm getting smashed outta his face!

It didn't take long to realise that it was a bad idea, if your going to open then OPEN if not stay CLOSED!

All the government are doing is paving the way for bars etc to be subjected to a bit of easy 'tea' money.

20 hours ago, smedly said:

they already have your details before you take the test - there have been several people reported they are forced into isolation but no solid real confirmation, Thais are told to go and quarantine at home 

There is no way I am exposing myself to this - I am fully vaxed and if I suspect I have omicron (cold symptoms) no matter what a test says I will go home and isolate myself, I know of many doing this already or have done 

PS is you are forced into quarantine you will be paying - more like a scam to me

Thank you.  After two days of asking, yours is the ONLY response.  This suggests a lot of members do not know or have not considered the ramifications of their visits to these 'restaurants'.  Like you, I am not willing to open myself to this sort of risk given the sullied reputation of Pattaya's enforcers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

you hand them over as a condition of testing

Really, you rock up to a venue and they want you to take a test before entry and you have already given them your name, telephone number and address.

Why in <deleted> would you do that?

42 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Really, you rock up to a venue and they want you to take a test before entry and you have already given them your name, telephone number and address.

Why in <deleted> would you do that?

from another thread 

I have a lady friend in Pattaya she tested positive.  Strange they told her to go home for 2 days, now they put in a quarantine hotel for 10 days.  Why not just let her stay at home? 

don't know if Thai or not 

Edited by smedly

1 hour ago, smedly said:

from another thread 

I have a lady friend in Pattaya she tested positive.  Strange they told her to go home for 2 days, now they put in a quarantine hotel for 10 days.  Why not just let her stay at home? 

don't know if Thai or not 

Stil don't know how they got the person details.

but my post to you was about the post you quoted by mikebell in regards to be tested at entry of beer bar complex.

51 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Stil don't know how they got the person details.

but my post to you was about the post you quoted by mikebell in regards to be tested at entry of beer bar complex.

when you go to enter a venue they will send you to an official test point - treetown being one of them, before they will test you they will ask you for you details, if you refuse to give your details they will refuse to test you and you will be refused entry into the venue, it really is that simple  

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

when you go to enter a venue they will send you to an official test point - treetown being one of them, before they will test you they will ask you for you details, if you refuse to give your details they will refuse to test you and you will be refused entry into the venue, it really is that simple  

thanks for added detail that I was not aware off.

Not a chance in hell would I volunteer my details to take a dodgy ATK test to enter a venue for food or drinks.

Am gobsmacked that there is fools out there that would.

• Like 1