Five on a motorcycle! Pick up driver flees scene after grandparents take children out - one dead, four injured

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police in Satun in the far south of Thailand are hunting for a pick-up driver who fled the scene after hitting a motorcycle in the rear.

There were FIVE people on the motorcycle. 

There were grandparents Teesa and Chort, both 64. Teesa died at the scene, Chort the grandfather and driver was seriously injured.

Also seriously injured were three children - Amira and Ratchanon aged 3 and 6 respectively have a western sounding surname. 

Theerapong, 6, with a Thai surname was also injured. 

All the injured were taken to hospital after the accident on the Ban Chalung to Langu Road, a four lane highway.

Tha Phae police at the scene found a Honda wave on its side and 150 meters away a Toyota pick-up with Songkhla plates. 

The motorcycle had been dragged 150 meters, reported Daily News.

The front left of the pick-up was badly damaged and there was fuel oil on the roadway. 

The driver of the pick-up had fled the scene and is being sought.

The grandparents and their grandchildren were going between one house and another yesterday.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-11

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 11

It seems doing a runner is nathional pastime in Thailand when it comes to road accidents. GF's new car has been run into twice in the past year by Motos and both times the guys got up back on the bike and you guessed it....did a runner. She even snapped a photo of one of them who took off her side mirror as he passed by....but local police did nothing....not worth their effort without a suggested donation which she refused.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tonray said:

It seems doing a runner is nathional pastime in Thailand when it comes to road accidents. GF's new car has been run into twice in the past year by Motos and both times the guys got up back on the bike and you guessed it....did a runner. She even snapped a photo of one of them who took off her side mirror as he passed by....but local police did nothing....not worth their effort without a suggested donation which she refused.

Shocking!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

It would only be doable if she had a picture of the motorcycle numberplate. Plus the guy could deny it unless the actual accident was on camera. It would be no different in my country, you might call it lazy but how would you try to get the evidence round a cop. If he denies it what then ? and how to trace without a numberplate (if there was a numberplate then it would still be her word against his) unless of course on cam.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Even after all this time I still get confused with the "likes" and "sad" emoticans. They can mean you agree with someone about something when you don't and vice versa.

That is why I used just the one word to express my feelings on this. I may do this more often.

The sad emoticon is indeed a bit of a mystery, usually i see it as someone not agreeing with a post. But it could mean something else too. But in general i think it means they don't agree with your post.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Even after all this time I still get confused with the "likes" and "sad" emoticans. They can mean you agree with someone about something when you don't and vice versa.

That is why I used just the one word to express my feelings on this. I may do this more often.

Ref the emoticon I was being ironic. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Lite Beer said:

Even giving the kids a helmet might help.

My Wife's daughter and partner carry their 2 year old standing on the front of the bike even though they have one of those 3 wheel bikes that would at least be a bit more stable.

I am always have a go at them but they look at me as though I am mad.

Same as kids sitting on a mother's lap in the passenger seat of a car. A child safety seat does not cost much.

You just cannot fix stupid.

I agree a helmet would be the least they can do.  That is something people should be able to afford. But like i said for many a motorcycle is all they can afford. Its a bit harsh to judge them on how much money they have.

But yes some precautions could certainly be taken.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yet you hear farangs always talking about not stopping as it is dangerous.

Very true.

My friends think that I am stupid as I always stop when I see an accident to see if I can help.

On three of those occasions, the local gawkers have tried to blame me. To the extent that the police came to my house.

Luckily witnesses or 'forensics' showed that there was no case each time.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

A U turn on a 4 lane highway that is the stuff of nightmares (for both car and motorbikes)

Whenever I'm asked what I think is the most dangerous place to be in Thailand, that is always my reply !

1 hour ago, robblok said:

The sad emoticon is indeed a bit of a mystery, usually i see it as someone not agreeing with a post. But it could mean something else too. But in general i think it means they don't agree with your post.

And then the confused emoticon.

One makes a crystal clear comment, and the confused emoticon appears!

Leaves me confused ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

These confused emoticans seem to be proving my point. ????