Swedish Youtuber about her collapse in Thailand: I thought I was going to die

webfact

From what I can gather the You-tube "reality TV" lifestyle, with the constant pressure to perform, produce new content, attract viewers and subscribers, exposing your vulnerabilities and exposing yourself to viewer criticism in the process, is pretty unsustainable.

Your life eventually reverts to the mean, people lose interest, revenue goes down, you age. The whole focus seems to be on experiencing things and image, with little time for true inner personal growth or any activities which don't make for good content.

A lot of pressure on the couple too, especially if one partner feels under constant pressure to mug in front of the camera, and play the hot/loving girlfriend or boyfriend role. Travel can be stressful enough without a camera constantly in your face. I've noticed more than a few of these travel vloger couples end up splitting up. The Gabrielle Petito/Brian Laundrie murder/suicide may be an extreme example, but it does illustrate the pressures which can come with the "influencer"/travel vlog lifestyle.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Many indications showed that symptoms were due to stress.

Oh yes I can't even imagine how stressful the life of a YouTube star has got to be. The horror.

All that aside, I'm glad she made a recovery, whatever the underlying cause of her collapse might have been.