Teen drowns in Chao Praya river - submerged tree stump to blame

webfact

2pm2.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Ruam Katanyu divers were called to Ayutthaya to search for a missing 18 year old after a trip with friends went tragically wrong, reported Thai Rath.

Kanok, 18, was eventually found after a two hour search. He was discovered with a facial wound.

It is believed that he dived into the Chao Praya River and hit a submerged tree stump and was knocked out and drowned.

He was with four other friends on a boat and swimming trip on the river. 

One friend, Orkas, also 18, said they had been filming live on Facebook when his pal jumped into the water and disappeared. 

He said he was not a strong swimmer. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I lived near a river when I was a kid and the first thing we learned, besides how to swim, was never dive into the water because of submerged logs etc.

That is common sense....a rare quality here unfortunately

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he was not a strong swimmer.

Such a tragedy and sadly very avoidable.

not a strong swimmer... no shame in wearing a life jacket while swimming.

If your mates don't like it, change them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

poor boy ....  very sad tragic accident,   why oh why don't they realize the dangers of submerged objects. 

rip young man. never forgotten

I dunno ... enough smashed themselves to bits 'tombstoning' off cliffs in UK.

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Real terrible .....family would be real devastated!! They can easily make swimming as part of physical education. It cost nothing in terms of sports other than a swimming costume. Unfortunately most deaths are teenager and kids who doesnt understand dangers when they jump in water.

They taught us at age 7 in UK in the north east. Primary school had a 3' deep learners pool, 20x10m. All so sad - it's not enough to learn to swim a length or two. We got regular swimming sports lessons at senior school as well, with certificates for completing tasks, and swimming endurance and so on. 

It became my favorite sport and I swam competitively till about 17yrs.

Drowning used to be a major cause of death amongst UK kids (especially those who lived close to rivers and sea of course) till they introduced swimming lessons to the curriculum.

I know one school in Pran Buri that does it with small children.

Edited by BusyB