Forgot re-entry permit, visa cancelled?

Hello everyone

My Thai wife and myself just returned from visiting family abroad and on arrival the immigration officer in very broken English notified me there was something wrong with my visa. He called a superior and she explained I missed the required entry permit, which I did forget to apply for because of not traveling so long during the coronavirus period, it just slipped my mind.

They told me they would give me entrance but I would have to figure it out with our local immigration office as soon as we were able to leave our 7 alternative quarantine.

We know the staff at our local immigration office quite well so we sent them scans of my passport to see what we could do to rectify the issue.

They told us that the immigration officer cancelled my non-immigrant type O (based on marriage with my Thai wife) and gave me a W.30 (30 days tourist visa). They told us that we probably have to do the whole type "o" visa process again, completely from the start. This would mean I'd have to fly back home, apply for a visa from my home country, and then come back to Thailand? This surely can not be the case just because I forgot to apply for a re-entry permit in advance? I moved here about 3 years ago, have my dear wife's family here and can't imagine this is possible what they are telling me? 

Am I crazy for thinking this situation is crazy?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Confused 1

Thank you all for the helpful and detailed replies.

Glad to hear I won't need to leave and re-enter Thailand to apply for my new non O.

Won't make the mistake of forgetting my re-entry permit again, that's for sure.

Sort of related question:

In several years time I would like to apply for a permanent resident status, could this incident in any way negatively impact my application a few years from now?

Once again, many thanks to all of you for your friendliness and kind help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Thank you all for the helpful and detailed replies.

Glad to hear I won't need to leave and re-enter Thailand to apply for my new non O.

Won't make the mistake of forgetting my re-entry permit again, that's for sure.

Sort of related question:

In several years time I would like to apply for a permanent resident status, could this incident in any way negatively impact my application a few years from now?

Once again, many thanks to all of you for your friendliness and kind help.

You need 3 unbroken extensions of stay.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No need to obtain any sort of reentry permit at immigration.

If you need to exit you can obtain at airport. 

OP ,as ubonjoe has outlined...this is not a big deal. 

Just obtain new non O at immigration. As your familiar with your immigration office no doubt they will guide you through process.

re entry permits are available at the airports......not sure if can get at U'tapao tho'

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Mean you also work in Thailand with a work permit!

As for PR you need to prove of have paid tax in the last 3 years as well. And if yes, then you could go direct for Thai Citizenship, as you are married with a Thai. Not need to do the PR first.

I'm a bit confused, is working/having a job mandatory? I do have an income but my wife's is higher and from my understanding just one of the married partners has to have an income above 30k THB, not both? We don't have children (yet) if that makes a difference. Maybe I am mistaking, haha.

I mostly work freelance but with some convincing I think I could get a full-time job for a company if that would be necessary. Thanks for bringing it up.

Is it recommend to get Thai nationality over getting permanent residency? Are there no disadvantages comparing one to another? 

Edited by Cyclenshaven

Regarding obtaining Permanent Residency:  since you are married to a Thai you can apply for Thai citizenship after three (3) years.  You must be working legally in Thailand and earning sufficient salary based on your nationality with a work permit and paying Thai taxes and social security for at least 3 years (something you can do on a marriage extension).  Advise looking at Chris Larkin's website when convenient, lots of good information (something that cannot be said of some other sites on citizenship/permanent residency):

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Regarding obtaining Permanent Residency:  since you are married to a Thai you can apply for Thai citizenship after three (3) years.  You must be working legally in Thailand and earning sufficient salary based on your nationality with a work permit and paying Thai taxes and social security for at least 3 years (something you can do on a marriage extension).  Advise looking at Chris Larkin's website when convenient, lots of good information (something that cannot be said of some other sites on citizenship/permanent residency):

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/

Thank you very much for the tip and advice, I will also take a look at the link you sent. 

I greatly appreciate all the help I've been getting! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Is it recommend to get Thai nationality over getting permanent residency? Are there no disadvantages comparing one to another? 

There are some differences, as you have to check if your country allows double citizenship. I think this is the biggest disadvantage from citizenship of Thailand.

The advantage from citizenship is, you not have to take care of your permit anymore. As with PR you still have to do RE-Entry permit and PR you can lose if you stay away of Thailand too long. So this is to consider as well.

As PR are already quit good, with citizenship you have more rights, and if you not commit a crime you will not lose it.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

1. It is not your visa but your extension of permission of stay that was cancelled as a result of leaving without a re-entry permit. Your prior visa ended as soon as you originally entered the country on it, but you had extensions of stay. To keep those you needed to have gotten a re-entry permit.

2. The immigration officer at the airport  did not cancel anything. Your visa was long ago cancelled, after initial use, and your extension of stay was voided by leaving the country. All automatic, not an action of the Imm officer at the airport. You presented with neither a valid visa nor a re-entry permit.

2. You were not granted a 30 day tourist visa, immigration at airport cannot issue visas. You were given a visa exempt entry. This is valid for 30 days and can be extended for another 30.

3. You do indeed need to start all over with a new non-O visa and then get an extension of stay based on it. However, you can do so without leaving the country, by applying for it in-country as outlined buy UbonJoe above.

OMG I know you are correct but your post is full of pedantic nonsense. The only helpful point to the OP is your last point. The previous 3 points just point out to him that his terminology is wrong. There is no need for it. As a moderator you should be a bit more sensitive.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

I was thinking about applying in about 3 years so that sort of works out. Thank you.

Do you work in Thailand?  I think you need to be working here and showing that you have paid taxes.

Not getting a Re-entry permit is certainly a huge pain/inconvenience.  

I knew this .. so more incredulous I forgot on one occasion.  

Whilst waiting for an ordered meal at BKK (waiting for our flight) I remembered.  Cue girly (on my part), serious panic and fluster.

Rushed the meal .. and then rushed a long way back to passport control.  (Try rushing a Thai girl from food. Ha ha).

l got it sorted.  But was not easy to find where I had to go and time consuming.

But the memory of my huge panic is still very vivid. The Thai girl I was with did not understand why I so flustered. 

My only excuse is I do not travel out often. I was very lucky that I realised when I had just enough time to sort. 

I would not risk leaving it to do at the airport unless you live a large distance from an immigration office.  I live a 10 bhat bus ride from one so stupid of me not to have done it in advance. 

Edited by PAWNEESE
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PAWNEESE said:

I would not risk leaving it to do at the airport unless you live a large distance from an immigration office.  I live a 10 bhat bus ride from one so stupid of me not to have done it in advance.

I can understand your panic however in a normal situation where you are aware of need to obtain a reentry permit, I can assure you that it's a very quick painless exercise. 

I never even bother obtaining one at CW after my extension since it's at different desk and personally find the airport option a dream.

Your experience is due to not being prepared.

Bit surprised that the io at passport control didn't pick it up at departure and this also applies to the OP. 

They often alert folk with an extension permit and no reentry permit. 

Many of us routinely get a multiple re-entry permit at the time of annual extension of stay.  Saves a lot of hassle and worry especially in case of a sudden trip.

The only year I did nto do this was 2020 when there was, at the time I extended, no way to re-enter Thailand if I left.

• Like 2