Property Taxes Will Be Billed in Feb., Must Be Paid by April

Banana7

Attached is letter from Pattaya property tax collector stating they will be sending residential property tax bills in February and payment is due in April. If you don't get one, your taxes will still be due in April. In past years, the tax payment office in Pattaya city hall is usually very very busy, with long lines in March and April .

If you are a foreigner and want to avoid property taxes on your condo, which is worth less than 10,000,000 baht (as determined by the land office), get a yellow house book. The owner must be registered in the house book before January 1 of the tax year, to avoid property taxes. Thai owners should be registered in the blue house book. Also inform the tax department of your registration in the house book to avoid issues.

IMG_9413.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

A couple of hundred baht for a few million baht condo with a blue book paid across the counter at any Krung Thai Bank with the bill.  What's the big deal ?

Now it has a 90% discount, ends next time i think, it will predictably start increasing

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Attached is letter from Pattaya property tax collector stating they will be sending residential property tax bills in February and payment is due in April.

Do you know why you have a tick in the first box but no others?

I received this and went along and basically was told this was just for information and I had nothing to pay. However that was after they checked on the system. So I am curious what is the difference with the other underlined para headers?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Henryford said:

It's not a problem now but will increase big time over the years. Councils in the UK and USA see property taxes as the golden goose with unlimited revenues.

USA does not have councils. County charges property taxes. They can't arbitrarily increase it. States have laws capping property taxes. Yes they can increase but not substantially. I think in the USA we already pay lots of property taxes. 

• Like 1

What's the penalty for ignoring the bill?

Without going into.details I can't pay by barcode and I don't want to visit a crowded government office anytime soon.

If you do go in other than bills what exact documents do you need to bring?

I have no yellow book and won"t be getting one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Nobody likes to get an unexpected bill.

Agreed although this one should not be unexpected after all the articles and threads about land/house tax last couple of years.

What was unexpected when I came back was a bill for waste water - backdated for 8 years as well.......

I don't really understand as I have been here longer than that and don't remember ever seeing the bill before..........

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Is there a way to view and, more importantly, to pay the tax online for those of us overseas?

At this time, I don't know the answer. There is a LINE ID in the letter for the Pattaya tax office. I recommend phoning those phone numbers listed in the letter. Where and how to pay, it's best to ask the tax office.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

My understanding is the maximum tax rates for land and buildings are: Agricultural use 0.15%, Residential use 0.3%, Other (like commercial) use 1.2%, Empty or unused 1.2%. The percent is of the land office valuation.

If the land or building is left empty or unused for a period of more than three consecutive years, it will be subject to an additional rate of 0.3% every three years, but the amount will not exceed 3%.

All subject to change!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

At this time, I don't know the answer. There is a LINE ID in the letter for the Pattaya tax office. I recommend phoning those phone numbers listed in the letter. Where and how to pay, it's best to ask the tax office.

they are responsive if you add the Line ID. It's the Revenue department

On 1/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, Jen65 said:

does this apply to a company owned house - or do the taxes paid by the company cover this ? 

I recently had a visit from Pattaya City Hall and was given a bill for nearly 50K. They back dated it, but not for the full time i have been here.

7,500 a year tax.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:30 PM, Jingthing said:

Without going into.details I can't pay by barcode and I don't want to visit a crowded government office anytime soon.

I paid mine in Krungthep bank last year, the one that on central road like 100 meters from the beach. I was like single customer there.

I've been away for over 2 years and have about 10 letters in Thai with valuation numbers and fees so I assume this is what it's  about.

Can't understand any of it. Is there an agent in Pattaya who can sort it out? 

Never had this bill for 10 years prior to my covid isolation?

Edited by aussiexpat

On 1/23/2022 at 8:59 PM, aussiexpat said:

I've been away for over 2 years and have about 10 letters in Thai with valuation numbers and fees so I assume this is what it's  about.

Can't understand any of it. Is there an agent in Pattaya who can sort it out? 

Never had this bill for 10 years prior to my covid isolation?

Just go to the town hall north Pattaya they sort it out.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:30 PM, Jingthing said:

A few years ago when I first received the property tax bill, for 7,500 Baht/year backdated 10 years, they were demanding a bit over 70,000 Baht in total. With my lawyer's agreement (Magna Carta). I ignored the bill but around 6 months later I received a very nasty looking letter, lots of red ink if you know what I mean. I took it to the lawyer's office and he said they were threatening to go to court and get an order to auction off my house if I didn't pay up. Again with the lawyer's agreement, I paid up, lol!

YMMV. Since then, I've heard people say that they aren't charging 10 years of back-tax any more, so just as with Immigration it seems they make up the rules to suit themselves as they go along. You could always pay an agent or Thai friend to do it for you. I send the GF to City Hall every year to pay mine, but now the bank option is available I'll try that (and send her when it doesn't work, lol).

12 hours ago, Guderian said:

A few years ago when I first received the property tax bill, for 7,500 Baht/year backdated 10 years, they were demanding a bit over 70,000 Baht in total.

Rather suspect advice you seem to have got there, did they justify it?