Property Taxes Will Be Billed in Feb., Must Be Paid by April

Banana7

On 1/25/2022 at 5:52 AM, chrissables said:

Just go to the town hall north Pattaya they sort it out.

I took your advice and it was so easy. I had bills from 2562/63/64 and all she wanted was the latest one. She printed out a new paper which I then took to another window for payment. This had 890 baht as fee but she only charged me 130 baht after discount. All up took less than 5 minutes.

So 3 years of tax, with 3 bills and 6 follow up letters for 130 baht. Hardly seems worth their effort and letter stamps ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I took your advice and it was so easy. I had bills from 2562/63/64 and all she wanted was the latest one. She printed out a new paper which I then took to another window for payment. This had 890 baht as fee but she only charged me 130 baht after discount. All up took less than 5 minutes.

So 3 years of tax, with 3 bills and 6 follow up letters for 130 baht. Hardly seems worth their effort and letter stamps ????

This is why so many properties sit vacant here, and all across Thailand. 

No fees and taxes as a motivation to lease or sell.  

On 1/26/2022 at 6:50 AM, jacko45k said:

Rather suspect advice you seem to have got there, did they justify it?

Suspect advice from the top legal firm in Pattaya? Quite a few of their clients had been getting similar demands before I received mine, so there was nothing suspect about it. City Hall are legally allowed to charge 11 years of back-tax, even when they never sent you the bill in the first place, but they were being generous and giving us a 1 year discount. You'd have to be pretty hard-up to object too much to 7,500 Baht a year in tax, but a demand for over 70,000 Baht was ridiculous. Still, there was nothing to be done about it, though one guy put his house in his wife's name and wound up the company. He said that he never heard from them again, but he still had to pay around 200K Baht in transfer tax to change the ownership from his company to his Thai wife's name. There was no cheap and easy way out of this mess, but if they've now dropped the back taxes then people shouldn't complain too loudly, it's almost certainly a lot cheaper than you'd pay in your home country.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Guderian said:

Suspect advice from the top legal firm in Pattaya?

So who says.... and have they never lost a case nor let a client down? I heard of a few such events. I suspect lawyers pretty much all fall into a similar category!

one guy put his house in his wife's name and wound up the company.

I asked about this option, and was told this would be very expensive as there would be the tax on the sale to my 'wife' and the house had been depreciated on the books over many years, and would jump back to market value, and incur  tax on that profit. I do believe the yearly tax was being paid when I did the annual accounts.  

Edited by jacko45k

I'm really confused. I've owned my condo for 12 years and only received a tax bill in last 3 years. This cost me a total of 130 baht by going to city hall.

Why is someone else charged 70,000 Baht and they paid it based on legal advice? How is it possible to have such different tax treatment?

Note: my bill showed condo tax was 0.02% of their valuation of condo. This then seemed to be discounted by about 85%. They also ignored previous 2 years and just wanted me to pay the current year.

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm really confused. I've owned my condo for 12 years and only received a tax bill in last 3 years. This cost me a total of 130 baht by going to city hall.

Why is someone else charged 70,000 Baht and they paid it based on legal advice? How is it possible to have such different tax treatment?

Note: my bill showed condo tax was 0.02% of their valuation of condo. This then seemed to be discounted by about 85%. They also ignored previous 2 years and just wanted me to pay the current year.

Can you please tell me what documents you were required to show at city hall when you paid? Just the bills, or if more what exactly? Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Can you please tell me what documents you were required to show at city hall when you paid? Just the bills, or if more what exactly? Thank you.

I took the 3 bills and she only wanted the most recent bill which she used to enter on the system and print out a payment document.

Nothing else required so anyone can pay without need for any ID or condo papers

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I took the 3 bills and she only wanted the most recent bill which she used to enter on the system and print out a payment document.

Nothing else required so anyone can pay without need for any ID or condo papers

Thank you.

That's very weird considering you owed previous years (as I do). 

I somehow suspect that this is one of those "your mileage may vary" kinds of situations.

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you.

That's very weird considering you owed previous years (as I do). 

I somehow suspect that this is one of those "your mileage may vary" kinds of situations.

I'm pretty sure they wiped all previous years, just look for latest bill with 85-90% discount if you pay...

• 1 month later...