How much can you negotiate off the price of a new house?

AlexCanada

On 1/22/2022 at 1:56 AM, mstevens said:

My sister in law managed to get almost a million off a house in a new development in Bangkok which she bought early last year. Asking price was 8.8 million and she ended up getting it for 7.9 million baht. She's in sales herself and obviously knew how to go about it.

She probably still paid a million or more too much. There is a new condo building near where I live where the list prices are prosposterous. I would consider half of the listed prices still too much.

18 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Totally agree. Farang should not show his face

It wouldn't matter if he showed his face or not. He knows where the money came from - they are not stupid. Whether the house is a cash sale or a bank loan makes a big difference too.

It wouldn't matter if he showed his face or not. The agent knows where the money came from - they are not stupid. Whether the house is a cash sale or a bank loan makes a big difference too.

Edited by JensenZ

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

Average monthly salary in Thailand is about 15,000k baht, which is nothing in developed western countries.  Vendors know that.  If they see a farang involved, they will hold out for more money.  Same in the local markets here as well.  

Anyone on 15,000 baht a month is not in a strong position to negotiate.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sungod said:

Anyone on 15,000 baht a month is not in a strong position to negotiate.

The topic digressed a little to if a farang was involved in negotiations, would a Thai owner be more inclined to hold their ground on price.  I said they would, you disagreed, but failed to say why.

The monthly salary of any Thai involved is irrelevant to this subject.

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The topic digressed a little to if a farang was involved in negotiations, would a Thai owner be more inclined to hold their ground on price.  I said they would, you disagreed, but failed to say why.

The monthly salary of any Thai involved is irrelevant to this subject.

If you think its irrelevant, then there was no sense in you bringing it up.

As has been pointed out by others, sellers have their price and cash is king.

Capture.JPG

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

They will be less inclined to budge on price if a farang is involved.

Nice edit, you did say the price would be higher if a farang was involved.

You said on a previous post you never said that, but you just did.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sungod said:

Nice edit, you did say the price would be higher if a farang was involved.

I edited because I didn't want that comment to be taken as listed prices would be higher because of farangs being in the market.

It's not just property, it can be things in the local market.

It's been said many times over the years that if you speak some Thai the local sellers will know you are an expat, rather than a tourists, and treat you accordingly, but I guess you will deny that happens as well.

Edited by Leaver

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I edited because I didn't want that comment to be taken as listed prices would be higher because of farangs being in the market.

It's not just property, it can be things in the local market.

It's been said many times over the years that if you speak some Thai the local sellers will know you are an expat, rather than a tourists, and treat you accordingly, but I guess you will deny that happens as well.

Not talking about listed prices, talking about negotiated prices. You said that Thais would not negotiate with farangs, which you insinuate they would with other Thais. That obviously means the price for farangs would be higher (which you now deny) .

Now you contradict your own sweeping statement that Thais would not negotiate with farangs, to they may do if you are an expat and speak Thai.

Top tip, if you want to argue then at least stick to your guns...................

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sungod said:

Not talking about listed prices, talking about negotiated prices. You said that Thais would not negotiate with farangs, which you insinuate they would with other Thais. That obviously means the price for farangs would be higher (which you now deny) .

Now you contradict your own sweeping statement that Thais would not negotiate with farangs, to they may do if you are an expat and speak Thai.

Top tip, if you want to argue then at least stick to your guns...................

I clarified that statement.

Of course money is money, and Thai's don't care who pays it.  

I simply meant, as I have repeatedly said after my initial comment, Thai's will be less inclined to negotiate so much with farangs, because they know farangs have a higher capacity to pay.  They will not come down in price as much as they may with Thai's.  

This is something you deny, yet offer no reason for your opinion.  

Here's a tip for you, it's an internet forum, not your English school.  ????   

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No change of heart.  

Do you have any content to post, or are you just practicing for your TESOL exam?  

No, English is not my strong point, struggle without a spell check.

That saisd, bought/sold some properties in my time, more of a numbers person.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

I would hire the services of a bar girl and send her to negotiate on your behalf, a. they are very good negotiators, (i speak from experience) and b. she might offer something in exchange your wife can't...

I am not sure they have the status you believe with the bank staff......

OK, buying housing is all about the 3 L's

If it's in a good area that is popular you'll find there won't be any negotiation, or very little. 

If the housing estate is located Nakon Nowhere or similar you'll find more flexibility with the price.

• Like 2

From experience it varies on how popular a project is. If it's selling well, you'll get little to no discount. But your property value should increase overtime.

If you choose a project with little to no units sold over a long period of time,  you'll probably get a bigger discount. But you may live in a quite empty development, maintenance may not be up to par and it might prove difficult to sell it later on.

I wish you and her good luck.

• Like 1