How much can you negotiate off the price of a new house?

AlexCanada

15 hours ago, mstevens said:

My sister in law managed to get almost a million off a house in a new development in Bangkok which she bought early last year. Asking price was 8.8 million and she ended up getting it for 7.9 million baht. She's in sales herself and obviously knew how to go about it.

That is just about the normal 10-15% one can get off the asking price

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

Correct... It is a buyers market... But I've found sellers in Thailand are very very unrealistic with their selling price.. They would rather have a property empty for years.. 

Capital gains, seldom happen in Pattaya, so it's essential, to buy well... 

The Chinese and Indian made the market overheated. 

When you look around all is very overpriced due to this.

How can it be that a Thai house made of thin concrete slabs costed more then a decente build european house. That needed more materials then the Thai house.

House is price of the landlord and then building of a building.

And this building of a Thai building does oat more then a Europe an building in Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Opposite to us newly built house empty for more than one year. Price inreased by THB 200k and sold. Good location and wealthy developer. Thai must be under real financial pressure to lower prices, else they just wait.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Certainly, if the vendor sees a farang involved, they will be less inclined to negotiate.  

Why?

Money is money and a sale is a sale. I actually find Thai's are more unrealistic and expect something for free.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sungod said:

Why?

Money is money and a sale is a sale. I actually find Thai's are more unrealistic and expect something for free.

Average monthly salary in Thailand is about 15,000k baht, which is nothing in developed western countries.  Vendors know that.  If they see a farang involved, they will hold out for more money.  Same in the local markets here as well.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Same as everywhere, simply offer what one is willing to pay.  It's Buyer' Market, or should be.

our sons girlfriend sells houses on new estates ,sales have not slowed down ,second hand houses now may be a different matter ,on our estate ,they seem to sell quite quickly and at good prices ,well a good bit more than we paid .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sungod said:

How many houses have you sold and bought?

Business is business, higher prices because its a farang is nonsense,

Show me where I said higher prices.  

I said, "if the vendor sees a farang involved, they will be less inclined to negotiate."  Do you disagree with this?  

• Like 1

I bought the place I am currently in at a 60% discount.  I just made an offer and stated I was willing to go the land office tomorrow.  I always make an offer on the basis that the seller must pay all taxes and fees.  I just show up with a cashiers cheque and that's it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

How can it be that a Thai house made of thin concrete slabs costed more then a decente build european house. That needed more materials then the Thai house.

I do not believe property prices are very much linked to the cost of materials needed to build. Think land, location, location, location..... a construction in Nakhon Nowhere may meet your theory better.

• Like 1

This really is a "how long is a piece of string" question.

Try and do some research for the area, actual sales for similar properties etc and start from there.

In the absence of actual sales date, asking prices mean nothing, they can literally be 2-3 times what the property is worth, and just based on the stupid price the neighbor is asking.

• Like 2