Yellow Book (Pink ID card) Query - Extended period out of Thailand

Hi

I have managed to get all the paperwork required for my yellow book entry (eg marriage cert and passport stamped by MFA) plus the other things they asked me for however I now unexpectedly have to go back to the UK for possibly 2 or 3 years

Should I still apply for the yellow book (and pink ID card) - I would like both (I know some people say they aren't worth having but I do want both) - or is a foreigner who leaves Thailand for 2/3 years am I meant to unregister myself from a yellow book (and hand back pink ID card) , ie if this is the case there wouldn't be any point in me going ahead with getting yellow book and ID card now as I will be leaving in 2 or 3 weeks time

Thoughts much appreciated - but please remember I DO want both (if I can get them and allowed to keep them) - so I'm not looking for comments about how useful (or not) people think they are

Kind regards

Tim  

I have my yellow book and go back and forth between the US & LOS to work, last visit was 14 months (due to covid) and my yellow book just stayed where is has for the past 10 years.  There's no rush or need to change travel plans for something that maybe gets used once every 5 years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

In particular medical services supported by government funding are normally only available where you live. I have had free flu jabs and mobile health screening which have been subject to the yellow book being in the catchment area.

I don't know if it applies to yellow books, but the law changed quite recently for Thais ID card/blue book, they can now use hospitals in Any Province irrespective of their address on the 30b scheme. Allegedly.

23 hours ago, farmerjo said:

As long as your address stays the same i don't see any problems.

The pink id has a (10 year?) expiry date if under a certain age.  

if you are 60 or older the pink ID card no longer has the 10 year expiry. It lasts until the day you die.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

but the law changed quite recently for Thais ID card/blue book, they can now use hospitals in Any Province irrespective of their address on the 30b scheme. Allegedly.

You seem to be correct.

Thailand’s Public Health Minister says holders of the universal healthcare card can seek treatment at primary care units anywhere in the country. According to a newspaper report, Anutin Charnvirakul says cardholders will no longer have to request a referral from the unit they’re registered at. He says the change is part of reforms to the universal health care service and the 30 baht card.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I don't know if it applies to yellow books, but the law changed quite recently for Thais ID card/blue book, they can now use hospitals in Any Province irrespective of their address on the 30b scheme. Allegedly.

I wasn't referring to the "social ", as they call it, aspect. There are variety of schemes.

Certain programs like the free flu jabs and the mobile health scheme are supported by government funding and as the funding is based on registered residents, only they are eligible.

When I went for the flu jab program I saw old ladies being turned away because they lived outside the area. They were not being turned away by medical staff, there was a local government official checking ID cards as they entered the vaccination room. All a bit sad, queue up for an hour or so and then get sent home.

My wife is on the social from her previous work. She is registered at a hospital in Bangkok, never changed as she does not like the local one. She can go to any hospital but has to pay and claim it back.

• Confused 1

On 1/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, TimF said:

or is a foreigner who leaves Thailand for 2/3 years am I meant to unregister myself from a yellow book (and hand back pink ID card)

As far as i can gather, once granted pink card is valid for 10 years.

yellow book is associated with the house/condo you own and hence no changes even if you are away from Thailand. 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:11 AM, sandyf said:

What Thais do is up to them. As a foreigner wishing to make the best use of a yellow book then the address should be current.

In particular medical services supported by government funding are normally only available where you live. I have had free flu jabs and mobile health screening which have been subject to the yellow book being in the catchment area.

I have the yellow book and pink ID card and the services you describe, plus the three free Covid shots,  AZ plus the Phizer booster have been provided at no charge to those foreigners in my area who dont have the book or card.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Australian Embassy no longer serves Australian residents here in any manner at all, as far as I can see. They will not give Australians certification letters of their address in Thailand, required for a Thai Driver's License. The Yellow Book and Pink Card are accepted in lieu of a Certification Letter. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LoudHailer said:

The Australian Embassy no longer serves Australian residents here in any manner at all, as far as I can see. They will not give Australians certification letters of their address in Thailand, required for a Thai Driver's License. The Yellow Book and Pink Card are accepted in lieu of a Certification Letter. 

Get a residents certificate from immigration.

There have been reports that a Yellow book is not excepted at every drivers license office in Thailand.

Best to check first.

I only obtained my Yellow Book so's I could obtain the free medical treatment, for farangs, that was supposed to come with it. I admit I got the free treatment initially but they soon realised that they hadn't thought the whole thing through properly and cancelled it. So along with the 'pink ID card' they were a waste of time and money in obtaining. I haven't used them. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 1:44 PM, StevieAus said:

I have the yellow book and pink ID card and the services you describe, plus the three free Covid shots,  AZ plus the Phizer booster have been provided at no charge to those foreigners in my area who dont have the book or card.

I was referring to life outside covid.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, Neeranam said:

without that useless pink non-Thai ID card

You are perfectly free to think what you want,  hardly makes it fact.

For some of us it has been very beneficial.

If you cannot be a full  member of a club, associate is usually the next best option.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are perfectly free to think what you want,  hardly makes it fact.

For some of us it has been very beneficial.

If you cannot be a full  member of a club, associate is usually the next best option.

I can only think of one use for that card, that is using it to show your address when renewing your driver's license every 5 years, but some places ask for the yellow housebook.

Possibly when booking a hotel or going on a domestic flight, but a drivers license also can do that.

A friend of mine incidentally showed me his today and said he got free hospital treatment. The only reason I can think of is that the country clinic hadn't seen one before.

It's hardly 'associate', when it says clearly on the front, "non-member"!

On 1/31/2022 at 4:48 PM, LoudHailer said:

The Honory Consul in Chiang Mai continues to provide excellent service and assistance, in areas that are within his authority.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

said he got free hospital treatment. The only reason I can think of is that the country clinic hadn't seen one before.

Once upon a time the government decided to give free medical cover to foreigners. A condition to obtain free treatment was one had to have a 'Yellow Book'. I too received free hospital treatment in the beginning. Realizing their big mistake the government soon cancelled 'free treatment'. That was a few years back and the only reason why I obtained the book.

• Like 1

The Yellow Book and Pink Card meant zilch in helping to renew my expired Driver's License. I had wrongly presumed they would negate my having to go to Chaengwattana for the Letter Confirming My Residential Address. The bureaucratic nightmare continues. Everything is so grotesquely difficult for foreigners.

3 minutes ago, LoudHailer said:

The Yellow Book and Pink Card meant zilch in helping to renew my expired Driver's License. I had wrongly presumed they would negate my having to go to Chaengwattana for the Letter Confirming My Residential Address. The bureaucratic nightmare continues. Everything is so grotesquely difficult for foreigners.

Depends on the area you live, my yellow book does everything.

The problem is, some departments seem to do what they want and not what they should be doing..

• Like 1

I have noted some comment that  using a drivers licence instead etc. All well and good IF you have a drivers licence. If you dont or for some reason can no longer drive (renew), the Pink card is useful and preferable/convenient over carrying your passport around.

Dont assume everyone can read /write English the book and card are in Thai and can help with the ease of flow in some circumstances,

Is it a neccesity, probably not, but it does no harm, may prove useful to many and who knows what or how things may change, as they often do.You may be very glad you did,