Taxi drivers in Phuket say they get it about allowing application hailing services to operate

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Jirasak also said the authorities were in the process of bringing more order to taxi ranks.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Taxi drivers have been a law unto themselves on the holiday island for decades with tourists frequently claiming big rip-offs. 

And will continue to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I cannot comment on Phuket as it has been many, many years since I was there. However, in Hua Hin the price difference is significant. As an example, if we take a normal taxi from our house into town the fare is 350 Baht. A grab taxi is 97 Baht. If we go from town to our house, which is about 7 km. a normal taxi is 250, whereas a grab taxi is about 85 Baht on average. 

I took a taxi from sukumvit 7/1 to sukumvit 31 .The first taxi asked for 600 bath.I said NO WAY..so i took another taxi with taximeter.Cost me 39 bath.

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I cannot comment on Phuket as it has been many, many years since I was there. However, in Hua Hin the price difference is significant

The price on a car hailing app is not that different to what taxis are supposed to charge. It's a whole world of difference, however, to what they actually charge.

• Like 2

To stop the taxi ripoffs is pretty simple really. Like they do in Singapore, integrate them into very apps they so hate, so even though they don't get to rip off everyone, they can still benefit from the service, just cuts out the higher up payment schemes...the digital age is almost on them and they'd better change their views or go do something else...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

And most importantly of all the fact that now things had changed - tourists could now use ride hailing apps legally.

He said the prices were not all that different.

One company given permission to operate is Hello Phuket Service. Others are in the offing.

Does this sound like the taxi mafia is starting its own ride hailing service with prices closely resembling the current rip off fares? And is Grab still able to operate without threat?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

To stop the taxi ripoffs is pretty simple really. Like they do in Singapore, integrate them into very apps they so hate, so even though they don't get to rip off everyone, they can still benefit from the service, just cuts out the higher up payment schemes...the digital age is almost on them and they'd better change their views or go do something else...

Like in Singapore!!!!..lol...Yeah..they need to start using younger drivers,or have them work less hours there,they have lots of elderly taxi drivers,i was in one with my gf years ago when working there,going to Clarke Quay,and was wondering why the cab never moved when the traffic lights turned green...the 70+ year old driver had fallen asleep at the wheel!!! I had to waken him up to get moving again ????????

On 2/3/2022 at 7:03 AM, Tbone999 said:

Nothing in Thailand will ever operate like Singapore. Corruption is so deeply embedded in all levels of the public sector, from the very bottom to the very top (and beyond). The only way to become more Singapore-like would be to have a complete purge of local and national government personnel as well as the police and military, and start over with a new no-nonsense PM, ala Lee Kuan Yew.  Not gonna happen.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:00 AM, Jimbo53 said:

Like in Singapore!!!!..lol...Yeah..they need to start using younger drivers,or have them work less hours there,they have lots of elderly taxi drivers,i was in one with my gf years ago when working there,going to Clarke Quay,and was wondering why the cab never moved when the traffic lights turned green...the 70+ year old driver had fallen asleep at the wheel!!! I had to waken him up to get moving again ????????

Haha, I remember those dang awful ding dong sounds when they went past 60mph, used to drive me nuts...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, chuang said:

Why the authority allows such thuggery...are they  in cohorts....

There is proof of complicity in a number of scams in Thailand between local authorities, incl. cops, and thugs. One of the better publicised ones is (was) between the Pattaya jet-ski scammers and the local cops, so what are the odds that Phuket authorities are not involved in this taxi-mafia business? After all, the problem has been publicised for decades now, and has caused damage to income from tourism (well, for others, anyway), but not much has been done by authorities to solve the problem.

Edited by StayinThailand2much