2022 Honda 160 adv vs FKM Venture 150 ?

rayinkrabi

Hi all,

I've owned a 150 PCX for around 9 yrs & although it's proved extremely reliable I have been a bit disappointed with a number of issues including poor quality.  Have casually been looking into replacement 'contenders' (within my criteria) for some time which include Yamaha & the Honda adv 150 or 160 as I really like the look of them, but is it just me or are these scoots vastly overpriced & 'underspeced' ?  One particular brand does stand out to me however in the looks & specification dep't, never heard of them before but I reckon I would seriously consider the Fekon FKM Venture 150 (as it ticks all the boxes & more) IF it was available here in Thailand...Any thoughts? I'd particularly be interested to hear from folk 'in the know' regarding build & component quality as I have zero experience in this field.

Regards, Ray.

Fekon Venture 150.jpg

11 hours ago, mosan said:

The Fekon FKM Venture 150 is a "clone" Honda ADV 150 produced in the Philippines for their market...  Dayang ADV150: Chinese copy of the Honda ADV 150 adventure ... (motonewsworld.com)

Sorry to disagree but this whole point is so wrong as a clone is defined as an exact copy, which these scoots are definitely not..In fact even a quick glance at both shows many differences so my questions still stand.

Anyway the FKM won't be available in Thailand. Go for the real deal, Honda ADV. 

If you're on a budget, finance is cheap and there's also 2nd hand models available.

I've rented the Adv150 for two weeks in Phuket. Fantastic bike but lacking power. Looking forward to the adv 350

• Like 1

My wife wanted the Taiwanese Lambretta made by SYM. A good looking retro bike but after one year things just started to break. Like the ignition,  breaks making noise with only 3,000 kilometers.  Turn signal stopped working twice now. And the chrome parts rusting.  Honda can't be beat. With 75 % of all bikes sold in Thailand being honda that says it all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

My wife wanted the Taiwanese Lambretta made by SYM. A good looking retro bike but after one year things just started to break. Like the ignition,  breaks making noise with only 3,000 kilometers.  Turn signal stopped working twice now. And the chrome parts rusting.  Honda can't be beat. With 75 % of all bikes sold in Thailand being honda that says it all. 

????Yup....all Flies eat <deleted>, cant be beat????

• Haha 1

Honda poor quality?  I own a PCX 2012, got over a 100,000 KM forgot to check coolant one time reason I burned a piston?  I had it rebuilt for 4000 baht since then clock another 15,000 KM regularly service oil 10 years a switch here and there no major problems. Handles great power you don't need too much more CC to kill yourself.  Yes the new PCX ADV, close to 100,000 if not more I think a few YouTube video PHL show race comparison with the Yamaha DMax out ran them all price 10000 cheaper might also check out the Aerox starts at 68,000?

Edited by thailand49

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I've got a Yamaha.

It's nice.

But Im sticking with Honda next time.  I find them more practical and comfortable for driving longer than 50 kilometers.

If you want to stick with Honda, be careful. They have stopped selling batteries for the Forza, and if you go to any off the Battery Shops you have to wait about 3 days for delivery. Imagine getting stuck in another part of Thailand on a road trip and needing a new battery.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If you want to stick with Honda, be careful. They have stopped selling batteries for the Forza, and if you go to any off the Battery Shops you have to wait about 3 days for delivery. Imagine getting stuck in another part of Thailand on a road trip and needing a new battery.

I wonder why. 

There more Honda dealerships here than anyother motorcycle brands.

I usually get off brand batteries on Lazada or Shoppe.  

19 hours ago, rayinkrabi said:

include Yamaha & the Honda adv 150 or 160 as I really like the look of them, but is it just me or are these scoots vastly overpriced & 'underspeced' ?

when you say Yamaha, do you mean the Nmax or the Aerox? The Nmax is the attempt by Yamaha to compete with the PCX, the ADV 150 is the attempt by Honda to compete with the Aerox.

They are all pricey, but the Aerox considerably less so and it's possible to find it with both key and keyless ignition. I definitely would not say it's underspec'd. Personally I never liked the PCX as I don't like to sit so low, but of course others might say the opposite.

I am on my second Aerox (I change frequently as a principle), keyless, I never had an issue, only regular maintenance at the prescribed intervals. As for spares and shops, I think Honda and Yamaha are both very reliable and all over the place.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rayinkrabi said:

Sorry to disagree but this whole point is so wrong as a clone is defined as an exact copy, which these scoots are definitely not..In fact even a quick glance at both shows many differences so my questions still stand.

You're nit picking and you know it.  The bike is a knock-off and a rip-off specifically designed to imitate and undercut Honda - which I might add is doing a fine job at that. But carry on...

• Like 1

My choice ADV, They make a 750 too ... and there's a strong rumour (amongst the bike press etc) that a 350 will be released around March.

I ride a 750 when I go up to do rides around Chiang Mai, The Loop, and to Chiang Rai ... I find them a very comfortable easy to ride bike. Having the option to manually change gears on the 750 is a great option too. Suspension feels better than for other 150's to me.

I've ridden Forza's etc and would not compare any of these to the ADV for comfort over any distance. Ride for more than a few hours ... there's no comparison for comfort in my opinion. The 150 is not a quick bike off the mark but once away rides along at low rpm and pulls well through the entire power band right up into the post 100 kms per hour speeds.

I never noticed any shonky build quality issues with the 150 I used to own or my current 750.

Like others have said the Philippines clone is just that, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. You pay for what you get as they old adage goes.

Honda's are proven, and very well engineered, with engines and gear boxes you can't kill with a stick. Yes the price is somewhat higher.

You can pick up a demo model in BKK @ NAVAPAT - Khun Pam (I bought 2 bikes from them and they were near perfect, with about 1500 kms on the clock ... a lot cheaper than a new bike but with warranty in place etc. Can't recommend them highly enough. They posted both my bikes to me in Phuket for about 350 baht a piece with Thai Post .. easy as falling off a log. 

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I wonder why. 

There more Honda dealerships here than anyother motorcycle brands.

I usually get off brand batteries on Lazada or Shoppe.  

Lazada sell the same batteries as OEM Honda but without the logo. Fast delivery too. Recently bought one for my ADV150 and very happy.

• Like 1

If the OP is complaining about poor quality then I'd say he'll not be impressed with an unheard of brand knock off bike IMO. If a quality established brand such as Honda doesn't cut it then a clone is unlikely to either!

Still loving my ADV150 and just planning another road trip around Thailand in the next month. Likely to head all the way to Satun and back from Bangkok.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If you want to stick with Honda, be careful. They have stopped selling batteries for the Forza, and if you go to any off the Battery Shops you have to wait about 3 days for delivery.

You forgot to add "Where I live"

Largest Honda dealer and parts supplier in CNX, Sahapanich, has 2 different brands of batteries to fit the Forza.

Honda Big Wing CNX stocks batteries.

On my ride into town - a distance of 18km from my home to the super hiway, there are 3 battery shops just on my side of the road. One had them in stock, the other two could have them in an hour or 2.

Once they send a guy to ... wait for it ... Sahapanich

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, seedy said:

You forgot to add "Where I live"

Largest Honda dealer and parts supplier in CNX, Sahapanich, has 2 different brands of batteries to fit the Forza.

Honda Big Wing CNX stocks batteries.

On my ride into town - a distance of 18km from my home to the super hiway, there are 3 battery shops just on my side of the road. One had them in stock, the other two could have them in an hour or 2.

Once they send a guy to ... wait for it ... Sahapanich

If the two large Honda dealers in Nakhon Sawan don't stock them, there must also be others.

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Does the Forza have an emergency kick start?

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Does the Forza have an emergency kick start?

No. The Forza is automatic, it is a great bike especially for the comfort on long road trips, I think the sensible thing now is to carry a spare, I mean imagine being on a road trip and getting caught out with a dud battery in the Nakhan Sawan area.

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No. The Forza is automatic, it is a great bike especially for the comfort on long road trips, I think the sensible thing now is to carry a spare, I mean imagine being on a road trip and getting caught out with a dud battery in the Nakhan Sawan area.

I think you're making a big deal out of this (on this thread and another one I saw). Just because the Honda shops around you didn't have it. I have a Forza and there is nothing special about it's battery, like most other bikes or scooters can use any 12v battery.... , I don't give it a second thought on my travels around Thailand....!

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

I think you're making a big deal out of this (on this thread and another one I saw). Just because the Honda shops around you didn't have it. I have a Forza and there is nothing special about it's battery, like most other bikes or scooters can use any 12v battery.... , I don't give it a second thought on my travels around Thailand....!

On my first trip to CNX in the 90's the battery on my HD failed.

I went to the closest battery shop, got a 12V battery, used foam supplied by the shop along with a chunk of wood to space it in the battery box, and carried on.

Was it the same size ? NO Did I work just fine until I could find the correct one. YES

Reminds me of the guy posted on here who brought a tire for a Honda Jazz from Hawaii !!! 4FS !

Edited by seedy
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

I get what you are saying, only a couple of days ago, a friend emailed me and said that almost any 12 volt bike battery will fit, just like a car. I never looked at it that way.

When I bought the bike in 2016, the first battery only lasted for 12000ks, I thought that it was maybe because the battery was a cheap one, the replacement cost about 5000bt, that one has lasted about 33KS. My new one only cost 3800BT. my local agent got it for me though not from Honda. Thanks for your input.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I get what you are saying, only a couple of days ago, a friend emailed me and said that almost any 12 volt bike battery will fit, just like a car. I never looked at it that way.

When I bought the bike in 2016, the first battery only lasted for 12000ks, I thought that it was maybe because the battery was a cheap one, the replacement cost about 5000bt, that one has lasted about 33KS. My new one only cost 3800BT. my local agent got it for me though not from Honda. Thanks for your input.

I think that you're making a very bid deal out of it.

On another thread (now blocked by mods), you did get a number of replies AND solutions. Didn't you?

I, personally, suggested you buy a a trickle charger to keep your scooter's battery in good shape... and you seemed quite offended because I had the audacity to call your scooter a scooter... ????

5 facts (and I stand to be corrected if wrong):

1. Honda doesn't produce batteries, 

2. Procurement Depts at Honda make OEM agreements with batteries manufacturers,

3. Therefore, you can buy and use the battery brand you like (according to the specs from bike manufacturer),

4. You wrote that one of your batteries lasted 12000ks... I guess you meant "km", which is the abbreviation for kilometers. Anyway, one doesn't, usually, measure battery's life in km. Actually, more one uses his/her bike longer the battery will tend to last. People measure battery life in years (or months) NOT in km,

5. There are many ways to buy a battery (from supermarkets to car/bike dealers, from online dealers... even from brick 'n mortar battery dealers)