Tyre replacements

poppysdad

My Toyota CHR is now 3.5 years old and just under 70,000 kms on the clock. My delightful wisdom of all knowledge lady says I should replace my tyres, the front ones were replaced over a year ago more due to uneven wear than anything else which also resulted in the tracking being adjusted. However the rear 2 are still the originals and still have plenty of tread depth and no visible signs of fatigue etc. So should I listen to the other half or just continue with them until any problems may or may not appear.

7 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

I decided to listen to my wife and bought new Bridgestone's. Cost about 12.000= bath for 4 new tyres. Now the car runs sooo smooth that I had to thank her by buy dinner 555 

She's got you sorted out...........????

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Brock said:

In the Thai heat, (or Oz for that matter) tyres should be changed after 5 years regardless of the tread depth. The heat causes the tyres to harden, so they dont grip as well and the side walls can develop micro cracks. You dont want an exploding tyre. I recently had the tyres on my BT50 replaced due to age.

The age of the tyre can be worked out from the date code on the side wall..

Is that why my Isuzu pickup used to screech when doing u turns , despite there being plenty of tread ?

Use your best judgment.  I don't listen to my wife about car or motorcycle things. She is the one that tells me you have to sweep up the dead bugs after you spray . And put them out side. Because they wake up after 45 minutes.  Or a thai woman can not touch me because some have black magic and I will forget all about her and family.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tires today have tread wear indicators.  Aside from checking sidewalls for any cracking they are your best indicators it is time to change tires.  The date on the side walls is all too often used by dealers to convince women they all need to be changed.  A front end alignment and tire balancing and rotation every 10,000 km will make your tires last longer.  Your personal driving habits will also affect/cause premature tire wear.  Above all, if there is any cause for concern I always make sure the best tires are on the rear wheels.  A blow out on a rear wheel transfers part of the cars weight to the rear making a controlled stop almost impossible.  A blow out on a front tire transfers the weight forward usually allowing for a controlled stop.  In either situation careful braking must be applied, panic braking with a blown tire front or back can be very dangerous. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seems that I disagree with the majority of posters on this topic.

There are several videos comparing the performance of new v older tyres on the internet. Worth a look.

New tyres will definitely stop in a shorter distance… which could result in no damage to your car or not changing someone’s life forever.

And from experience new tyres, like for like.. definitely give a better ride experience.

Of course if financial are the priority then as most have said tyres can last for years.

13 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Seems that I disagree with the majority of posters on this topic.

There are several videos comparing the performance of new v older tyres on the internet. Worth a look.

New tyres will definitely stop in a shorter distance… which could result in no damage to your car or not changing someone’s life forever.

And from experience new tyres, like for like.. definitely give a better ride experience.

Of course if financial are the priority then as most have said tyres can last for years.

Mrs. Trans performed better when she was new, but like tyres, you get used to them....????

• Haha 2

Tyre manufacturer recommendations I have seen say car tyres over 10 years old should be replaced regardless of wear and condition.  They generally recommend annual inspections after 5 years. 

These are maximums and there is certainly nothing wrong with replacing tyres earlier to avoid performance degradation.  Just like replacing tyres before the legal tread wear limit of 1.5mm to avoid reduced wet braking performance etc.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

I have never heard this before, a blowout on the front is worse than having a blowout on the rear.

Most Tyre wear will be on the fronts as most cars are front Drive as opposed to rear's. Like everything you get what you pay for. Cheap Chinese tyres might seem a bargain but 8=9 Months down the line you will see wear. Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli's, will last a few years if looked after.

22 hours ago, poppysdad said:

My Toyota CHR is now 3.5 years old and just under 70,000 kms on the clock.

I changed my first lot of Bridgestone's on my Ford Ranger at 90,000 clicks or 2 years, 2nd lot at 80,000 clicks, also 2 years, Bridgestone's are the brand for my car, only changed the 2nd lot earlier than the 1st lot because one got a tear on the side wall which I wouldn't repair, even if I could, plus I needed a wheel alignment, I figured as I was going to have to change the one on the opposite side as well, might as well kill 2 birds with the one stone so to speak and did the lot.

Father-in-law was happy as, because he gets the crumbs (treads) when I am done, he still has the 1st ones, as his pick up is over 10 years old and never leaves the village, and I reckon he still has his original tyres on the car that came with his pick up. 

Tyres are replace when the tread wears near to the minimal depth, are worn unevenly to the point that part of the tread is worn into the minimal tread depth allowed by law or damaged e.g. tear in wall or a puncture/tear in the tread so large that the tyre may delaminate, or can't be fitted safely with a inner-tube or new inner tube if a tubed tyre in the case of a tread puncture, or if the car is left for a long time in the open tropical sun without being driven. There is no need to change tyres otherwise.

29 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Honesty?

Your life might depend on proper tyres......and you want to save only some Money?????

I'm not allowed to use the approbiate word for this behaviour.,????

Has your Mrs got a rubber tree plantation by any chance..........????............................????

• Haha 1