New pneumonia vaccine- Prevnar 20

how241

Does anyone have any info or experience with this new vaccine.  I am 67 and was thinking it might be good to get.  Where can I get this vaccine in the Pattaya area ?  Any info on price or side effects from people that have recently got this vaccine  in Pattaya would be appreciated. Thanks for any help. 

First prevnar 13. I had one the last year. Stamped simply as 1st doze, no indication if and when the second one. 
after a year suppose to be prevnar 23. I will talk about it when doing seasonal flu in May. 
i dont think 10 is already available in thailand. Maybe for many years yer. 

i do vaxes at the red cross and mahidol travel clinic in bkk

• Like 1

Some info from Google:  

What's the difference between Prevnar 13 and Prevnar 20?
Prevnar 13 protects against 13 different pneumococcal serotypes. Prevnar 20 contains 7 additional serotypes compared to Prevnar 13. In a recent press release, Pfizer stated that the 20 serotypes contained in Prevnar 20 cause more than 50% of invasive pneumococcal disease cases in older adults
  • Thanks 2

Even if available, you most probably will be offered 13. After a year 20 or 23

get any now.
I dont think vaxines are priority.for thai health service. 

Almost all vax which i received the last year were very close to expiry date. This indicates a large portion of vaxes were for international travellers, taking advantage of the lowest prices in the world. Now a lot of them got wasted

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Even if available, you most probably will be offered 13. After a year 20 or 23

get any now.
I dont think vaxines are priority.for thai health service. 

Almost all vax which i received the last year were very close to expiry date. This indicates a large portion of vaxes were for international travellers, taking advantage of the lowest prices in the world. Now a lot of them got wasted

I fully expect to pay for this vaccine.  I don't expect the Thai Gov't. will give out out for free. 

I am hoping to find some recent info on what Pattaya hospitals have this vaccine in stock now.  

The wife and I had 2 pneumonia vaccines the last 2 years.  A year apart from each other.  I know they were diffenent ones but I don't know which ones they were.

We didn't have any side effects from them.  The good thing these are one and done, not annual boosters.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I don't have a clue as to the numbers for myself when I was home in 2019, my doctor indicated if I wanted the vaccine (Medicare)  just walk into any Walgreens and asked 10 minutes later done only problem sore arm for a day told to come back next year for the second. Came back for a visit next year 2020 I was a week early told I couldn't come back in a week problem I was returning to Thailand in a few days lucky I did! 

If I'm lucky when I return maybe this year I wonder do I need to start over again with the first shot?

As far as I know, Prevnar 20 is nto yet available in Thailand. In fact it was approved by the US FDA less than a year ago and is still nto widely available even in the US; ACIP revised guidelines came out just last month. (see https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104a1.htm?s_cid=mm7104a1_w)

Currently available in Thailand  Prevnar 13 and Penumovax 23.

For people over 65, get Prevnar 13 first then Penumovax 23 a year or more later.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I know, Prevnar 20 is nto yet available in Thailand. In fact it was approved by the US FDA less than a year ago and is still nto widely available even in the US; ACIP revised guidelines came out just last month. (see https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104a1.htm?s_cid=mm7104a1_w)

Currently available in Thailand  Prevnar 13 and Penumovax 23.

For people over 65, get Prevnar 13 first then Penumovax 23 a year or more later.

Thanks.  It looks like I got things screwed up. I am 67 years old and I went to BPH  and got  Penumovax 23.  The doctor there also recommended I get Zostavax.  He insisted that is was OK  to get both at the same time, in different shoulders.  When I got home and read thru the Penumovax 23 paper insert, it said NOT to do Zostavax at the same time as it was live virus and would have a lowered effectiveness.  Also I am reading that Zostavax has been pulled off the USA market and 'Shingrix' is recommended(2x). What should I do now ??  One day later I have no side effects other than a slightly sore arm. The Zostavax cost 6000 baht and Penumovax23 cost 1400.

Just now, how241 said:

Thanks.  It looks like I got things screwed up. I am 67 years old and I went to BPH  and got  Penumovax 23.  The doctor there also recommended I get Zostavax.  He insisted that is was OK  to get both at the same time, in different shoulders.  When I got home and read thru the Penumovax 23 paper insert, it said NOT to do Zostavax at the same time as it was live virus and would have a lowered effectiveness.  Also I am reading that Zostavax has been pulled off the USA market and 'Shingrix' is recommended(2x). What should I do now ??  One day later I have no side effects other than a slightly sore arm. The Zostavax cost 6000 baht and Penumovax23 cost 1400.

1. Shingrix is not available in Thailand. in fact, it is available in only a limited number of countries at this point. This will change but it will take time as the manufacturer is having trouble keeping up with demand in the countries where it has already launched. There is nothing wrong with Zostavax (i.e. it is not unsafe), it is just less effective than Shingrix. If in future you are able to spend 2 months in a country where Shingrix is available you can get it then. Having had Zostavax does not preclude getting Shingrix later.

2.  The US CDC recommends giving Zostavax together with pneumococcal vaccines. That this contradicts what it says on the Merck Pneumovax 23 insert has been raised several times, always with the answer that CDC/ACIP continue to recommend that they can be given together. I would not worry about it.

3. Regarding the Pneumovax it is somewhat a long story in that up to 2019 it was recommended to get first Prevnar 13 and then Penumovax 23 a year later for optimum immune response- but if for some reason Pneumovax 23 was given first, Prevnar 13 could be given a year later. (Just less optimum response than in the other sequence). ). In 2019 the recommendation shifted somewhat and the Prevnar 13 step (for people over 65) was made more optional (a recommendation for doctor and patient to discuss and reach a "joint decision" as to whether or not to do Prevnar 13 + Penumovax 23 or only Pneumonvax 23). The basis for decision was not/is not crystal clear except for certain obviously high risk conditions, and further complicating things us that the recommendation is specific to people living in the US where the incidence of the strains of pneumonia which Prevar 13 protects against has dropped way down due to widespread vaccination of children, a situation which may not apply elsewhere.

If I were you I'd go ahead and get Prevnar 13 in a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sheryl,  for your detailed answer and explanation.  I will rest easier knowing that it was probably OK  that I got both vaccines at the same time.  Honestly,  the doctor at BPH  was trying to get me to get the  Prevnar 13 first but his English was surprisingly limited and I couldn't understand why he thought it was better to get the  Prevnar 13.  Being uneducated,  I assume that the  '23' would be better than the  '13' as it covered more types of viruses.  Next year I will get the  Prevnar 13.

Thanks again for all the help you offer daily.