Bringing a guitar into Thailand from Laos. Customs? Tax?

Kenny202

Thinking of buying a guitar just across the border in Laos. Kind of friend of a friend so know the guys legit. But he claims no tax to bring the guitar into Thailand and he has sent to before? I find that a little hard to believe or maybe he was just lucky before. I have bought guitars from Japan and customs 30%. Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this?

I import whole containers of 'used'  items into Thailand and use an agent who advises me that the duty etc on musical instruments is high. That's all  I will divulge on the matter. However, when you say you are thinking of bringing a guitar into Thailand from outside Thailand implies you are 'visiting' Thailand and thus you are able to bring personal effects with you.  So your clothes , watch, beach towel whatever is only staying here for the duration of your stay and will leave with you when you leave. 

Thus ...no import taxes.

• Like 2

Put it in a case, if new remove all labels, hand carry it thru.  It will never be questioned.

Have carried several guitars in and never been questioned.

But, stop and volunteer to the friendly customs agent you have a new instrument, inquire if there is any duty owed and he will gladly hold you up for a while to sort it out and take your cash.

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

It would be coming in on road transport. Wont be bringing it personally unfortunately

Well, you are scr3wed on that one.  Be prepared to have it held and have funds ready to transfer.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

It would be coming in on road transport. Wont be bringing it personally unfortunately

If you knew any local Thai musos in Nong Khai doing a gig in Vientiane or even a Thai truck driver doing a run?Or any Thais taking their own vehicles over and back.I've driven to Laos numerous times and nobody checks vehicles.I play slide on National Resophonics and I have never even seen another one in Thailand let alone a cheap one so I can understand your frustration of so near yet so far.I would even rent a fishing boat and skip across the river to pick it up.I know that many locals cross the river both ways in ferries for a few baht.Sorry I can't provide useful info on the tax situation.Might be worth a shot to trust the seller on the no tax and see how it goes especially if it's secondhand.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So I can become educated as to why people import guitars whist they can be obtained here cheaply. 

Cheap guitars are horrible to play. They sound terrible too.

That could be why professionals don't buy 1500Bt 'guitars'.

BIt like buying cheap Bolex watches. It may look like a good one from a long distance but when the sun goes down and your watch shows 9.45 am, you may wish to reconsider whether buying cheap was a good idea.

Here are some examples of good guitars. I'll leave it up to you if you think they're cheap at a couple of hundred thousand baht....

https://www.bigtone.in.th/product-category/guitar/?filter_brands=gibson-custom

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If you knew any local Thai musos in Nong Khai doing a gig in Vientiane or even a Thai truck driver doing a run?Or any Thais taking their own vehicles over and back.I've driven to Laos numerous times and nobody checks vehicles.I play slide on National Resophonics and I have never even seen another one in Thailand let alone a cheap one so I can understand your frustration of so near yet so far.I would even rent a fishing boat and skip across the river to pick it up.I know that many locals cross the river both ways in ferries for a few baht.Sorry I can't provide useful info on the tax situation.Might be worth a shot to trust the seller on the no tax and see how it goes especially if it's secondhand.

Don't know of anyone casually going in and out of the country atm. Too many chances to have problems coming back in

In addition to a customs fee, a VAT may apply. 

Unless predetermined by a trade agreement between Thailand and Laos, value of imported items are at customs discretion and not necessarily on purchase price as basis for applying customs fee. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

In addition to a customs fee, a VAT may apply. 

Unless predetermined by a trade agreement between Thailand and Laos, value of imported items are at customs discretion and not necessarily on purchase price as basis for applying customs fee. 

I found that out the hard way....it's up to them...even if there is a purchase receipt and declaration with the goods. We got taxed $40 on a small box of used baby clothes from Australia my mother sent over when we had our child. And back when I was using Ebay and Thai tax  / duty already paid in the States through DHL (Apparently). DHL Thailand....."what Ebay?".....And it's If you don't like it bad luck, we keep your stuff. There is no arguing with them.

I bought a "Chibson" LP online from a Chinese vendor about 6 years ago, and it was delivered via Thailand Post.  There was no tax or duty collected when I picked it up at the post office, however two postal employees came by the house later that day and informed me that they forgot to collect the tax owed. Somehow, they knew the actual value despite the invoice listing a significantly lower amount, and calculated the tax based upon what I had actually paid. Beautiful guitar BTW.

17 hours ago, mrfill said:

Cheap guitars are horrible to play. They sound terrible too.

That could be why professionals don't buy 1500Bt 'guitars'.

BIt like buying cheap Bolex watches. It may look like a good one from a long distance but when the sun goes down and your watch shows 9.45 am, you may wish to reconsider whether buying cheap was a good idea.

Here are some examples of good guitars. I'll leave it up to you if you think they're cheap at a couple of hundred thousand baht....

https://www.bigtone.in.th/product-category/guitar/?filter_brands=gibson-custom

Absolutely correct with a 1500 Baht guitar , however it is recognised in the music industry generally that a $200 guitar with a $2000 amp sounds infinitely better than a $2000 guitar played through a $200 amp.

I have hand carried 2x new and 2x used guitars from the UK via Suvarnabhumi airport, was asked once by customs what was in the case, but never stopped, inspected or charged duty.

If they were shipped I expect I would have been charged

Oh no don't tell me about the pitfalls.

Yes i will,   copy goods.  you may well get stitched up with a

copy / look alike or out right fake with some genuine parts on it.

that the owner does not even know it is a lemon.

But hey what do i know. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coffee1:

Kind of friend of a friend so know the guys legit.

But the guitar may not be.  :giggle:

Edited by Orinoco

On 2/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, Dancer57 said:

I have hand carried 2x new and 2x used guitars from the UK via Suvarnabhumi airport, was asked once by customs what was in the case, but never stopped, inspected or charged duty.

If they were shipped I expect I would have been charged

Let us know how you get on Kenny202 as I will probably do the same again in the future

On 2/7/2022 at 11:05 AM, Kenny202 said:

he claims no tax to bring the guitar into Thailand and he has sent to before? I find that a little hard to believe or maybe he was just lucky before. I have bought guitars from Japan and customs 30%. Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this?

The answer to your question is that guitars imported to Thailand are, officially, subject to import duty and VAT.   Whether your purchase will actually be selected for examination and tax assessment is a question no one can answer without useless speculation unless your seller has an unofficial "arrangement" at the border.

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

That calculator does not include Laos on it's list of countries, specifically, but it's reasonable to assume that Laos-Thailand imports/exports are not exempt from duty/VAT.

not read all comments but i was wondering what would happen if you just hang it on your shoulder when crossing the border and tell them it is yours if they ask if you bought this rare guitar from laos or not? would that work? I have seen many people (farang) crossing the border with guitar... 

But its a different story if you want to carry it in with all new rare guitar box and with the paper work of it.

OR ask someone to do it for you?

Also, i was thinking, im not expert about guitar shops in thailand or in laos but i do believe if they have it in laos.. its a big chance they have it in thailand too. 

please update what happened. thanks

Edited by problemfarang

24 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i do believe if they have it in laos.. its a big chance they have it in thailand too. 

Exactly, hence my post at the beginning of the thread.. I bought my daughter an expensive guitar online here. Cheap enough.