Ssssnake ID anyone?

Crossy

1.30AM and the dogs decided it would be a good time to alert Mummy and Daddy to the presence of an intruder.

This chap was relaxing in the outdoor kitchen, completely ignoring the frantic barking yapping of our two rotties chihuahuas.

He was persuaded to depart back into the jungle we laughingly call a "garden" where I'm sure he will find somewhere to hide and lots of rats / frogs etc. to eat.

Anyone ID him? Sorry not the best of photos (did I say it was 1.30AM?).

69852.jpg.2b5039481efab3474e3599212fd74977.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Anyway, not an snake expert, so hope everyone reading readers  I'd here on ASEAN, do not try to handle snakes they do not know, or without experience.

I think most people don't try it . I am not scared of snakes , but i do respect them , meaning , keep distance and leave them alone when possible .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sezze said:

I think most people don't try it . I am not scared of snakes , but i do respect them , meaning , keep distance and leave them alone when possible .

Most try to kill them, and thats when they most likely will be bit

Edited by Hummin

We get a few snakes and I'm sure when I eventually clean up my storeroom area one will get me.

Was sitting by the pool and one came up to the pool, did a bellyflopper into the pool then up and out the other side. Really can move on water.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Really can move on water.

Golden Tree Snakes can fly (ok glide) too! I tell you, you're not safe from Hissing Sid anywhere!

I didn't recognise our new friend hence my posting here, but I suspect he's been resident for some time. On several occasions I've caught glimpses of something fairly large moving through the leaf litter around the edge of the garden. If he's assisting the cat in keeping the rat population down he's welcome to stay.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Golden Tree Snakes can fly (ok glide) too, I tell you, you're not safe from Hissing Sid anywhere!

I didn't recognise our new friend hence my posting here, but I suspect he's been resident for a some time. On several occasions I've caught glimpses of something fairly large moving through the leaf litter around the edge of the garden. If he's assisting the cat in keeping the rat population down he's welcome to stay.

We have one sunbeam or more (most likely) around the pond, several rice paddy's, wolf snake, about 2m rat snake, only seen one golden tree snake the last 2 years, never seen a cobra, No vipers, or any other lethal snakes here I live. I know there is pythons since we found some young ones in our building materials when we started out here. 

My cat love the chase the rat snake and pinch his tail ????

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, thaisail said:

For a really fast ID, contact the FB group "Snakes of Issan". There you will find the most knowlegeble snake ID experts!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076644525809817/

Yup, a very fast response from them confirming he's a Sunbeam Snake (งูแสงอาทิตย์).

An excellent group!

Note they also have several parallel groups for different regions in Thailand https://www.facebook.com/groups/2004459626509147/ is for Bangkok.

• Like 1

We had a snake looking a lot like that slither across our patio and park in front of the aquarium.  My wife was screaming at me to kill it and just when I went to grab she lifts up and fanned her hood at me.  Looking at pictures it seems to have been a black cobra and common in Thailand.  BTW: my wife beat the cr@p out of it and tossed in the vacant lot next door.  Never did get a photo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

We had a snake looking a lot like that slither across our patio and park in front of the aquarium.

This is always the problem with snakes, many of them look similar (long and thin) and making a mistake can be deadly (mistake a Banded Krait for a Laotian Wolf Snake and see how long you last!).

Our friend was totally unperturbed by the attentions of the dogs and when I "persuaded" him with a long piece of PVC pipe that was to hand he simply ambled (can snakes amble) behind the bin and vanished into the garden.

As noted before, always assume it's venomous even if you are "sure" it's not. Better safe than sorry!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

We had a snake looking a lot like that slither across our patio and park in front of the aquarium.  My wife was screaming at me to kill it and just when I went to grab she lifts up and fanned her hood at me.  Looking at pictures it seems to have been a black cobra and common in Thailand.  BTW: my wife beat the cr@p out of it and tossed in the vacant lot next door.  Never did get a photo.

Id have been confirmed by one of the mods in Isan snake pages on fb. Same snake as I posted link to, a Sunbeam snake,  a harmless snake. 

if you can not id a snake, give it room, and let it go. Snakes do not like humans or threatning animals, but will defend itself if someone come to close, and or they do not have any places to escape. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wavel said:

Ngo Sing = Rat Snake aroy mak

He's been positively identified as a Sunbeam Snake, but his demeanour  when being "persuaded" had me thinking he was a rat snake, it was the "rattler" tail shake that confirmed it for me and the Snakes of Isaan Facebore group concured.

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Dont usually get much trouble with them until recently. Used to be maybe 3- 4 a year but recently had 2 in  two weeks. REDNECK KEELBACK this specie has proven to be deadly apparently.

Redneck kelback one of my favorite beautiful snakes I forgot to mention we had here. 

A rear fanged snake that you have to let chew on you when biting to give you a lethal dose. 

A very easy snake to kill unfortunate, and very few incidents with this snake, where they have been playong with them, and also let them chew on them for some reason. 

I understand the fear when you have kids around, but still, this snake will not be a treath to the kids, unless they play with them and also chew on the kid. 

Another non aggressive snake unless cornered. Also easy to remove with snake hooks

https://thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/red-necked-keelback-venomous-mildly-dangerous/

7 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

run or chop it head off 

Why? It wasn't being agressive towards the dogs. And he has turned out to be a non-venomous constrictor. AFAIK it's still in the garden hopefully chomping down on a juicy rat or ten.

If it was being agressive and a possible danger then maybe it would have had a different fate.