If war breaks out in Ukraine, what do you think will be the impact on your expat life in Thailand?

Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Does everyone remember that time about 20 years back when the US invaded didn't invade Iraq? It was an invasion wasn't an invasion; it was an attempt to help parts of Iraq and Shia people who wanted their independence.

But by all means, choose sides if you want!

What's going on reminds me of the saying don't do as I do, do as I tell ya. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is the  purpose  behind that link to demonstrate the genuine turmoil of political  dispute , the ludicrous elements of it, or the futile dependence on political representation of the  masses? In each or either way it more or less indicates  how  infantile humanity is . IMHO !

• Like 1

Back on topic --- What (financial) impact on expat life in Thailand? ---

Interesting behavior of risk assets as of right now just after 6 pm in Thailand. At least the dumber part of financial markets anyway.

Looks a lot like Sell the Rumor, Buy the Fact. And probably an element of hasty dismissal of the more severe sanctions on the table.

2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Back on topic --- What (financial) impact on expat life in Thailand? ---

Interesting behavior of risk assets as of right now just after 6 pm in Thailand. At least the dumber part of financial markets anyway.

Looks a lot like Sell the Rumor, Buy the Fact. And probably an element of hasty dismissal of the more severe sanctions on the table.

2.jpg

No. The term was merely redefined, removing 'invasion' so that scheduled meetings between bureaucrats might take place later in the week.

3 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

There is a member on this forum ‘connda’ who has just posted a laughing emoji on my comment about Russian tanks and troops rolling into Ukraine; today is a very dark day for Europe, and indeed for the whole world, quite how anyone can find anything funny about it is completely beyond my comprehension.  ¯\_()_/¯

Here's some real comedic relief*.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10536659/Kremlin-producing-Hollywood-style-fake-news-inflame-tensions-Ukraine.html

As dark as the matter is, I challenge anyone not to laugh out loud at the sincere attempt at acting. If you do L.O.L, you must be a big fat anti-Russian (*GASP*) fascistic imperialistic racist!

*Beyond the entertaining mental acrobatics elsewhere on this thread, of course.

Edited by Atlantis
text formatting to make it all prettier

9 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Here's some real comedic relief*.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10536659/Kremlin-producing-Hollywood-style-fake-news-inflame-tensions-Ukraine.html

As dark as the matter is, I challenge anyone not to laugh out loud at the sincere attempt at acting. If you do L.O.L, you must be a big fat anti-Russian (*GASP*) fascistic imperialistic racist!

*Beyond the entertaining mental acrobatics elsewhere on this thread, of course.

Dam those whiselblowers.

I have little respect for Putin.  But I can well understand why he is not happy about Ukraine clamouring to join NATO.  Bit like stationing Russian soldiers on the border of Mexico and the USA.  Ukraine must be loopy to think that Russia would stand by and accept western troops in the Ukraine.  Ukraine is simply in the wrong place geographically, as are the Baltic states.  They should remain independent and neutral.  Siding with NATO is like waving a red flag to a bull.....  The chance of WW3 is far greater IMHO if Ukraine is a 'western' power. 

Remind yourselves of what the USA did when Russia supported Cuba (in the US backyard...)

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have little respect for Putin.  But I can well understand why he is not happy about Ukraine clamouring to join NATO.  Bit like stationing Russian soldiers on the border of Mexico and the USA.  Ukraine must be loopy to think that Russia would stand by and accept western troops in the Ukraine.  Ukraine is simply in the wrong place geographically, as are the Baltic states.  They should remain independent and neutral.  Siding with NATO is like waving a red flag to a bull.....  The chance of WW3 is far greater IMHO if Ukraine is a 'western' power. 

Remind yourselves of what the USA did when Russia supported Cuba (in the US backyard...)

I don't know Putin haven't met him. 

The Russians have been misunderstood since end of ww2 and I can't blame em after loses 27 million people and certain generals saying let's attack Russian now. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Which country did NATO invade?

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I did, there were none. You can't get away with "google is your friend" and find sympathy for your cause..

Then, obviously google is not your friend. 

Or, on the second thought, Google is a friend of NATO.  ????

Edited by Saanim

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Russia is conducting a peace keeping mission to protect Russian people who want independence from Ukraine why do you find that so difficult to understand. 

This where the wonderful word "Ostensibly" can be justifiably be used. lol

I say justifiably because the argument in opposition to the stance you suggest is difficult to defend and employ the same !

18 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Yes, kill for peace. Invade a sovereign nation because Little Vladdy really cares.

The guy is maybe 5'2", but has several inches of lifters built into his custom made shoes. What might be the cause of his woeful personal inferiority complex?

You should make clear which of Little Vladdy  5'2" did you mean. Was it Volodomyr Zelensky? But he is 5'1"... 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saanim said:

You should make clear which of Little Vladdy  5'2" did you mean. Was it Volodomyr Zelensky? But he is 5'1"... 

Wait!  Now I understand.  They both have inferiority complexes because of their small stature!!

36 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My knowledge of history is not as good as yours Simon. I seemed to have missed the bit where Ukraine was actively trying to install US nuclear weaponry on its territory.

I also can't seem to find the bit where the US annexed Cuba because POTUS was not happy about the Cubans clamoring to join the commie club.

I do seem to vaguely remember that Ukraine had ambitions to join the European Union. But even this was such a big no-no for the poor poor victimized Russians that they soon lost Crimea to a Russian invasion.

17 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

The little guy made his name two decades ago when he was put in charge of 'taming' Chechnya. He unleashed the Russian military and slaughtered 200,000 people in Chechnya, thus quelling the independence movement. Funny how those people were NOT Russian Orthodox, had their own culture and language, but were not allowed independence.

It seems Vladdy's consideration of who should be granted 'independence' has changed.  Donetsk is declared 'independent' by an external source, but Chechnya? Sorry.

It seems that you are confused not only by the Vlads but also by the Chechnya wars, they were 2 of them.  The first one was dealt with no Vlad but with a Boris (not the current clown) who happened to be a good friend of a president at another side of the world.

And he bombed not only the Chechnya terrorist (is there another way how to deal with terrorists?) but also his own parliament with his own people.  And for this bombing he was applauded by his friend president...