Will Songkran be cancelled again?

Gjk7777

I think the OP is referring to the wild water fights and large public gatherings and yes they probably will be cancelled and many of us will be pleased. But Songkran as a public  holiday  linked to Thai cultural beliefs and their calendar will not be cancelled.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gjk7777 said:

One bar in Pattaya has had to serve food to open, my guess is yes they will, but not all.

Yeah a lot of the bars in BKK are doing the same thing.

It really makes no difference if they cancel Songkran or not for the Thais.  

The difference is will they be open for tourists and have everything they want opened.

The Silom party did not start because the government said let's have a party it started because a bunch of drunk Farang started to party and the bars served beer.

I celebrated Songkran on Patpong in 97 and can tell you that there were only about 30 of us.

1 hour ago, warrima said:

Honestly if the water chaos was just one day (like christmas) it would be fine. The annoying part is it going on for days and over a week. There's zero fun in trying to get to work with someone chucking ice water down your back. 

Maybe a bit less than a whole 24 hours, say just one hour, I could just about cope with that.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BE88 said:

If you believe these rules will be changed soon then you are very optimistic.

No intention to remove it from the government certainly for the whole of this year.

This sentence makes no sense!  'Remove' what from the government?

"certainly for the whole of the year"..???? Songkran is a few days in April! Not the whole year..

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Could be either or both I just get the lastest from the Mrs and on every exit / entrance to the village even tiny Soi's there are guard posts checking people in and out. 

So basically you have no clue.

What does it mean "checking people"... they take the temperature? they do so at almost every establishment in the country. they check your vaccination? does it mean 50% of the village cannot leave their homes? they run an ATK test? your village must have a very solid budget.

6 hours ago, arithai12 said:

So basically you have no clue.

What does it mean "checking people"... they take the temperature? they do so at almost every establishment in the country. they check your vaccination? does it mean 50% of the village cannot leave their homes? they run an ATK test? your village must have a very solid budget.

Checking people means they take names and addresses and phone numbers of people who come in and out of the village Soi's leading off the high street road which has never been done before.

Vehicles and people can drive through if they stay on the main road through.

1 hour ago, marcusb said:

I think they will continue to "mull" the decision, make it look grim, then Uncle Too will declare it a holiday as if it is a gift to the peasants from him.   ????  just a theory 

It already is a holiday! It's a Thai national public holiday. How can you not know that? LOL

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It already is a holiday! It's a Thai national public holiday. How can you not know that? LOL

I think the poster means large gatherings of people chucking water will be allowed to go ahead, including bands playing, been nothing in the last 2 years, or didn't you know that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as I remember in 2020 songkran holiday was cancelled as a work free days and in plac of it long weekends were introduced later on.

So many people worked. I think including the government institutions, banks and private companies (who wasn't told to work from home).

the last year's was not cancelled. Just on Saturday 10th April the government said not to travel, at the same time road blocks on major entrances to provinces. That spoiled some fun, but hindered travel.

Nothing like this this year. 

Judging by the New Year celebrations an extra day was added on 31.12 as a holiday. All participants in large gatherings had to have jabs, tests and capacity was fenced to 5k people.

I would think similar for songkran as it was for the new year. But it's not really possible to control the younger generation, informal gatherings will go on. Police would not enforce rules, maybe just tell people not to carry on into late night, just for the sake of some order.

That is fine.

Priority, as always, should be speeding and drink driving. Thailand failed that the last year. Even if the police said it was the great improvement over the usual years

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If you want to be pedantic yes it always will be a holiday. Happy? 

Will the people be able to celebrate in the traditional (sorry and also non traditional) ways?   

Is that more clear?  

oh, LOL LOL (what are you a teenage girl LOL LOL) 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, LukKrueng said:

Worst ever infection how? How many people have severe symptoms? How many have to be hospitalised (due to severe condition, not as a government policy isolation)?

Read the news I had 2 friends in Germany who died of covid (both were Nurses ) and yes they were young, not underlying conditions another friend in Russia is hanging on her life (yes a nurse as well)

today we had 1 guy died of covid and he was tripple vaccinated don't give me that nonsens about less than the flu

9 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Read the news I had 2 friends in Germany who died of covid (both were Nurses ) and yes they were young, not underlying conditions another friend in Russia is hanging on her life (yes a nurse as well)

today we had 1 guy died of covid and he was tripple vaccinated don't give me that nonsens about less than the flu

I didn't say anything about the flu. I only asked what did he mean about the worst ever infection in his village.

The 3 cases you mentioned are all at high risk positions. If they were exposed to many COVID patients they probably got a very high load of the virus, unlike most people that get a very low load and their body can manage it (at least healthy people).

And the 4th case you mentioned beings up a hard question about the vaccines.

I can tell you about many cases I know of that vaccinated people got mildly to moderately sick and unvaxed people who were exposed to the same infecting person in the same room at the same time and although tested positive, had no symptoms at all, thus not sick.

13 hours ago, rott said:

I thought the official position was that the water chucking "celebrations" would be cancelled if infections rose to 30,000 a day. That is sufficiently vague on the details. 

Please could you send the link to this official position please..