Is the Lao Border Run still a thing?

As I understand it, the border crossing at the first Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge is theoretically open, only for those on pre-arranged package tours organised by authorised travel agents. However, I do not believe any such pre-arranged package tours via Nong Khai actually exist in practice.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As I understand it, the border crossing at the first Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge is theoretically open, only for those on pre-arranged package tours organised by authorised travel agents. However, I do not believe any such pre-arranged package tours via Nong Khai actually exist in practice.

You have to book them through approved tour companies in Laos. I believe they would take care of the details of the crossing at the bridge, quarantine etc. So not possible to do a quick trip over and back, but the border isn't completely closed at that one crossing. I don't think it's possible to get a Thai visa in Laos either, even if you did go over as a tourist because the embassy is not on the approved tourist route/venues in Laos, and presumably not even open for the possibility.

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You have to book them through approved tour companies in Laos. I believe they would take care of the details of the crossing at the bridge, quarantine etc. So not possible to do a trip over and back, but the border isn't completely closed at that one crossing.

It might be possible to enter Laos but returning to Thailand at the bridge would not be possible and if you did enter there would be a 14 day quarantine needed.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be possible to enter Laos but returning to Thailand at the bridge would not be possible and if you did enter there would be a 14 day quarantine needed.

Yes, on Laos FB groups it looks like people using the bridge to enter Laos. Seems like there are some VTE-BKK flights now so more convenient to fly into Thailand I guess.

OP try cambodia or vietnam. Cambodia is open but only by air and need some paper work to do to go. Vietnam will be fully open to anf flights in a week or 2. I also believe almost no paper work needed. 3 vaccines are enough with proof of course. 

Though coming back to thailand will take probably 2 weeks. All the thailand pass and other documents. 

4 hours ago, Faranguz said:

That sucks.

Any other ways to get an extension?

You have another thread with same question.

In that thread I asked which immigration office you are using.

You entered on visa exempt.

You should be able to obtain another covid extension.

So....

1. When does current permit expiry.

2. Which immigration office told you that you cannot obtain another CE.

3. Where are you located. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Faranguz said:

I don't know what to do to extend my stay further (only 2 months!)

Is the lao border run still available?

Malaysia border might be open next month... good luck though coming back with the Thai requirements of entry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Cambodia is open but only by air

Yes indeed, for tourists/ex-pats. From Thailand, all flights are from Bangkok (DMK and BKK) to Phnom Penh. Currently, there is one daily flight direct to/from Singapore to/from Siem Reap. Tourists are visiting Angkor Wat again but in low numbers. Cambodian land borders are closed to tourists but designated ones are open for legal migrant workers travelling to/from work approved by the Thai authorities, also commercial vehicles importing or exporting vital goods. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Think twice before writing.

The OP want's to do a visa run.

The simple cross the border is not possible and on return he would need to go through test&go or quarantine in Thailand.

Over the bridges only goods transported.

He is the OP. He asks for advice and then proceeds to flame someone offering advice

15 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

Don't ask friend, ask your local Immigration Office. Not rocket science.

If you ask a random immigration official at a random immigration office, the chances are that you would just get blank looks. However, there is a real risk that, not wanting to disappoint the hopeful foreigner, you would get a definite and convincing answer. That answer will be less reliable than those you can get through this board. A general rule is that Thai officials will rarely know anything outside of their own area of responsibility. The local immigration office will have received no information on the rules being applied on either side of the first Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge. They would not even be able to give you accurate information on Test & Go.

• Like 1