Thai virologist Dr. Yong predicts daily COVID-19 infections may reach 100,000

webfact

For what it’s worth::

my wife’s sister owns the village shop next door to our house, my wife also has a small shop selling fruits outside the front of the house.4 weeks ago the sister husband and daughter all went Omicron positive, both shops had to close and all people in the village that used the shops had to test and isolate, only 50 came forward and admitted close contact, 

on the 7th day all of those close contacts were tested for a second time including us and all were negative, if this variant is super contagious why was there not a major outbreak in this village as I’d started in the communal village shop?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

That's right. I am in Adelaide atm and the annual Festival is dead. It doesn't matter that omicron is less dangerous than delta, the number of infections is keeping people away.

Correction, the paperwork, testing and risk of quarantine is what’s keeping people away. 

for example, the USA and UK have far higher cases numbers such that people more or less ignore Covid and in the UK that will soon be official government policy. So why would people from those countries be put off coming to Thailand on holiday?

No, it’s the hassle and quarantine which puts people off.

just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

When was the last time there were 80 road deaths in a day? There were over 300 covid deaths one day last year to. I get the sentiment but better to keep to official figures same as you are with covid deaths. Today there were 21 road deaths, yesterday there were 20.

In 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that Thailand had the second highest rate of traffic-incident related fatalities in the world. An estimated 22,941 people die each year due to traffic-related incidents in Thailand, constituting nearly 33% of the country's total deaths.  Thats an average of 65 per day each and every day.  To date Thailand has reported 26,596 covid deaths or 37 per day.  Excess deaths may well double this figure but its still only equivalent to the road toll and likely to drop significantly now that vaccination rates are up and Omicron is prevalent.  That's where I get my figures.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess the sky is the limit with Omicron.  It has been elsewhere, but as quickly as it went up elsewhere it went downwards.  However, from when the first cases were found here in Thailand Omicron has not acted like it has elsewhere until just the past 5 days, so one has to ask themselves why?  What is so different about Thailand that the virus acts completely out of character before it takes off just like with Delta and the original strain.......

Omicron started everywhere very slowly increasing speed after weeks.

So the expertise of this doc might be OK. 

And don't forget his brain is working not damaged by poisoning black hair color.????

7 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Of course people who are pro THIS vaccine will spin the lower death and serious cases in the direction of the vaccines....

No! It's people who are rational and looking for facts, and are not trying to downplay them in order to keep their misconceptions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

In 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that Thailand had the second highest rate of traffic-incident related fatalities in the world. An estimated 22,941 people die each year due to traffic-related incidents in Thailand, constituting nearly 33% of the country's total deaths.  Thats an average of 65 per day each and every day.  To date Thailand has reported 26,596 covid deaths or 37 per day.  Excess deaths may well double this figure but its still only equivalent to the road toll and likely to drop significantly now that vaccination rates are up and Omicron is prevalent.  That's where I get my figures.

Excess deaths may not double the number of Covid deaths, but triple them.. Since the beginning of the pandemic in April,  they have consistently been around three times higher than the official number of Covid deaths. 65,292 excess deaths between April and December 2021. So 37 official Covid deaths should  correspond to around 100 excess deaths.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Screenshot_20220209-134541.png

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not quite correct. He's not talking about closing the borders and another health crisis is he? The only people mentioning things like that are this forum's "usual suspects".

He's talking specifically about the omicron BA.2 variant. Whilst it seems to have a faster and higher rate of infection and work is ongoing on how it evades some detection and the effectiveness of vaccines, it does seem to have a low impact on the health of most people as the original omicron, especially in the vaccinated and boosted. Only the elderly and/or those with pre-existing conditions appear to be at higher risk.

The unvaccinated get what they deserve.

You should be careful about what you are saying here, my wife was not vaccinated, but only on her doctors advice as it would be harmful to her, there will be others in the same position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Yet you claimed:

"32 deaths from covid today.  It will be another 120 from excess sugar (Diabetes and High blood glucose), 80 from road accidents, about 90 from pollution (at least).  Just sayin"

Now you are proving yourself wrong by the WHO statement being an an average of 65 road deaths per day not the 80 as you stated, you've not even acknowledged that, its quite a difference over a year. So according to WHO 2021 Thailand had around 22,941 road deaths.

To make a comparison with covid deaths in 2021 that was well over 22,000 so not so much of a difference now is it. That's without the added Excess deaths which will bring it far higher and over the road deaths count.

As for this year like I said before averaging and guessing your numbers, better to stick to the official tally, both road deaths and covid deaths are published daily.

11 hours ago, Rockhound said:

But personally I don't see the point of lunatic testing numbers.  If you aren't ill you aren't ill.  If you are you'll go and see the Doc and they'll put you in hospital if you need to be there.  (Well that's what always happened before the planet lost its collective marbles.)

BINGO! Since when before this crazy virus did any sane person wake up and say, "Hey, self... I feel pretty good today, I think I'll go get tested to see if I have the flu."? Before you get your panties all in a bunch, I understand that you may want to test yourself if you've been exposed and don't want to get granny who is living with you sick but this continual cry for more and more and more testing just to increase case numbers is lunacy. Fewer people are dying and fewer are in hospital relative to the number of actual cases. Those are the only important numbers now.

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, from when the first cases were found here in Thailand Omicron has not acted like it has elsewhere until just the past 5 days, so one has to ask themselves why?  What is so different about Thailand that the virus acts completely out of character before it takes off just like with Delta and the original strain.......

Interesting points.

Haven't things been kind of silently relaxing gradually?  It seems that many places have been reducing covid restrictions gradually over time.  People are sick of the restrictions, less scared of Omicron and generally try to see what they can get away with. 

Also, most things built in Thailand have a very short period of durability and effectiveness, generally just take the photo then leave to collapse in a number of weeks.  It could be the shelf life of the recent Omicron protections has been reached.

It wouldn't surprise me if most people were of the mind "let's just get it over with, we've seen what happens in other countries, that seems OK" regardless of what the top people are saying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Almer said:

if this variant is super contagious why was there not a major outbreak in this village as I’d started in the communal village shop?

Since many schools have gone back, I'd expected there to be major breakouts within weeks and schools going through a rolling open-cases-close-open-cases cycle, but it doesn't really seem to be happening.  I think one issue might be that a lot of info comes from countries where it's so cold people don't do much outside, while in Thailand people often do things outside or simple under shades, with a tremendous amount of through draft.  So much so that a lot of Thai people are effectively not far from being outside all the time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Nobody can control the pandemic.

Even this anemic Junta.

That's true, but this Junta could accept it and stop using it for their own ends, I think you know what I mean. They should look at other countries and stop using these unnecessary restrictions.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

So what? Omnicron is relatively harmless. Stop talking about infection rates and start talking about hospitalisations (I mean real ones not people that were already sick with something else). This is irresponsible scaremongering by someone that just wants his picture in the papers.

Over 70,000 hospitalized now for Covid. That is scary.

Four pages (so far) of people talking about how Omicron isn't really much to worry about. May be true, maybe not.

But what is true is the next variant will come out of some poor, crowded country because rich govts looked after themselves first. The next one may be the big killer. Or not.

We're all in the dark. I think it's wise to be cautious & prudent, not take unnecessary risks in indoor social situations. I very occasionally eat in a restaurant but pretty much only if I'm the only diner.

Boring? Yeah, for sure. But, fer Crikey's, show some responsibility. Unfortunately, there are many people who, sick or not, feel forced to work to put food on their table. That's what happens when there's no support from a greedy, grabby, grubby cabal of wannabes.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

That's true, but this Junta could accept it and stop using it for their own ends, I think you know what I mean. They should look at other countries and stop using these unnecessary restrictions.

I agree.

There worse than the virus.

• Like 2

More scaremongering, more trying to keep peope on a leash and more lagging behind..  The bus, train and taxi already left and those people in charge missed them all while a huge part of the world has moved on...  I seriously pity the people that have lost every bit of their livelyhood due to some crazy decisions of individuals controlling the country, and they dont face a single wrongdoing anywhere from anyone for that..

• Like 1