Thai TV hardly covered the Olympics - what else will we miss?

webfact

35 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Singing contests are the best thing about Thai Tv, apart from the backstory sentimental settings they like, along the lines of poor family living in a shack, dads got cancer mum working 100 hours a week selling noodles etc. It does help if you know the songs, who sang them originally and who the judges are. Thais have an enormous talent for song and dance and many famous stars owe their success to talent shows. Today they still throw up some remarkable talents, even kids. This girl nong guitar is one of them, singing a famous Pumpuang song-

Maybe you missed the original comment.

Talent shows with talented people are absolutely fine.

But some shows show intentionally people who can't sing. It's not that they try and are not very good. They just can't sing and Thais make a show out of that. That is the horrible part!

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you missed the original comment.

Talent shows with talented people are absolutely fine.

But some shows show intentionally people who can't sing. It's not that they try and are not very good. They just can't sing and Thais make a show out of that. That is the horrible part!

That's the x factor etc not Thai shows. You must have seen a lot so can you post a few examples of shows made from Thais who can't sing, according to you.

Edited by clivebaxter

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Welcome to the bubble.

Wait until a Thai wins something, then you'll see it on every station and newspaper for about 2 weeks (until they get busted for PEDs).

Mink just won the womens world snooker championship but hardly a mention, so your claim is not true.

3 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Mink just won the womens world snooker championship but hardly a mention, so your claim is not true.

I can't remember which publications I'm allowed to link to but it's all over the Bangkok Post, The Nation, Phuket News as well as the Thai press.

So my claim is in fact true. Same as we never see any international boxing news until Rungvisai won a title and then it was all over the place.

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

That's the x factor etc not Thai shows. You must have seen a lot so can you post a few examples of shows made from Thais who can't sing, according to you.

My gf selects them and watches them. I don't know the names of the shows and it is not important enough for me to find out.

I know in one show are maybe 10 people who are maybe able to sing or maybe not. And then the so called experts guess if they will be able to sing or not. And then comes the moment of truth when they actually "sing". About 50% know what they are doing...

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My gf selects them and watches them. I don't know the names of the shows and it is not important enough for me to find out.

I know in one show are maybe 10 people who are maybe able to sing or maybe not. And then the so called experts guess if they will be able to sing or not. And then comes the moment of truth when they actually "sing". About 50% know what they are doing...

It is only for  feeling good... as there is no fail policy even the worst singer will get good comments, but hairs are standing right up... A screaming public will make the show complete... Happily Thai people have to love it, because there is nothing else to see except some adds

6 hours ago, JayBird said:

Countries that do not have much if any participation in the Olympics typically do not offer much coverage of it.

Thailand had a bigger presence in the summer Olympics, so they covered it better.

The Thais have about as much interest in the winter games as I do....close to zero.  Well, the news story about the Russian teenage druggie was sort of interesting....for about 5 minutes. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How can you judge only 50% know what they are doing when you don't know the song, the original singer or the style and what the requirements are of a particular genre ? Maybe you should ask the gf for a lesson on some background, even if it's not important to you it obviously is to her.

10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Paid $5USD for a month of PeacockTV (NBC) to watch Superbowl and Olympics. 

The solution, I think, is NOT to rely on Thai TV as the source of one's desired international/foreign sporting content.

I think, folks who have access to live TV content from their home countries probably could have fared a lot better than relying on Thai broadcasters.

I could have watched hundreds, probably thousands of hours, of Olympic broadcasts from the U.S.  But in fact, I watched NONE.

Reasons being -- 1. I had no time.  2. the Chinese government disgusts me. 3. I'm not a big winter sports fan, period.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

How can you judge only 50% know what they are doing when you don't know the song, the original singer or the style and what the requirements are of a particular genre ? Maybe you should ask the gf for a lesson on some background, even if it's not important to you it obviously is to her.

Which part is so difficult to understand? The show shows deliberately people who can't sing. There is no question about that. They sing unbelievable bad, not just not so good.

I live in Thailand since 25 years and I heard lots of Thai music. I like a lot of it and I can accept it almost all when the singer can sing (like the original versions). But imagine the worst karaoke performances which you heard. That is the level which they show on TV. 

2 hours ago, jgm005 said:

Agree. I didn't watch a lick of it. 

It seems that even the countries that paid for the feed NBC in the states took a bath.  With all the <deleted> happening with judges that are corupt doping and rules that get changed or ignored at the whim of the IOC the olympic games are a farce.

The only chance that people would watch is if they televised the bog t hings for the US and Canada live.  People would have stayed up and tuned if the NHGL players had of been  allowed to compete.  

China had too much control and sucked.  Even looking on youtube there is not very much.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Which part is so difficult to understand? The show shows deliberately people who can't sing. There is no question about that. They sing unbelievable bad, not just not so good.

I live in Thailand since 25 years and I heard lots of Thai music. I like a lot of it and I can accept it almost all when the singer can sing (like the original versions). But imagine the worst karaoke performances which you heard. That is the level which they show on TV. 

Thai singing shows do not put people on to make a mockery out of them, that is the sort of nonsense you see on western shows. At least not that I have ever seen myself. I have been watching them for over 25 years and been to recordings of them at Tv studios. While some are less than great they are not deliberately selecting people who cannot sing. I'm only talking about Thai music contests featuring luktung, morlam, phua chee wit, or rarely, lukrung, not Thais singing western material or string, that is usually awful IMO.

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Thai singing shows do not put people on to make a mockery out of them, that is the sort of nonsense you see on western shows. At least not that I have ever seen myself. I have been watching them for over 25 years and been to recordings of them at Tv studios. While some are less than great they are not deliberately selecting people who cannot sing. I'm only talking about Thai music contests featuring luktung, morlam, phua chee wit, or rarely, lukrung, not Thais singing western material or string, that is usually awful IMO.

You didn't see it so it didn't happen. Yeah, sure.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are there really people who expect that free  Thai TV stations do cover Winter Olympics?? ????

Stations that depend on commercials?

I will ask German public TV to cover Takraw championships.

It's easier to sell heaters in Dubai than interesting Thais in bobsledge.

Ridiculous.

I think you miss the point. It's about finding every day something new to complain about.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

It was hard to catch the Ashes, rugby, or even Wimbledon last year, and now with Fox Sports only available through Disney Plus, it will be harder this year.

Fox also showed The Masters from Augusta live so maybe we will not be able to enjoy that event too.

Oh the disgrace. Life will have no meaning anymore. Quick drink that cicuta.