Internet (only) speed with a simcard router, Ais, Dtac or True?

Felt 35

All three major providers here offer similar pricing/packaging, and network coverage.

There is no one single clear universal winner.

Maybe 10 - 15 years ago this was a thing.

An eventual True-DTAC merger might give that new provider a slight edge if ever so briefly.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Maybe 10 - 15 years ago this was a thing.

Yep. I was surprised when I checked DTAC coverage map just recently. Had not looked into for many years.

Of course one has to decide what he is willing to pay.

For cheap you get 10 to 20 Mbit/s flatrates as low as about 1300 to 1900 Baht/year.

High datarates often with volume capping on monthly basis (60 / 100 GB) or really expensive.

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

Getting this today with SIM router and AIS 

You're on mobile data, not WiFi from a mobile data router?

Yes, one can create a hotspot on a mobile phone, so maybe no need for a router for infrequent usage when traveling.

And why such low speeds?

The short straw is often not the SIM/mobile data.

It's the WiFi in your "router" and in your phone.

Hence the choice of a router, and the phone, become the primary factors.

The plan, package or SIM the OP needs really depends on their application requirements. But yes, typically one of the fixed bandwidth (1/4/10 Mbps) unlimited volume 1 year SIMs might be a good fit. Slow, but sure. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

AIS 300 unlimited 10m plan

TP-LINK TL-MR6400 ?  ~ 2,000-ish. Good price for this bit of kit.

That router has some inherent limitations, 10/100 LAN ports, and various limits on the WAN side (300 Mbps but that's not real-world) and limits on the WiFi side.

But it's a decent option for many applications. Portability? So-so.

You're getting 70x40 on a 10Mbps plan? I guess anything is possible, including that the speedtest is "reliable"?

Who knows what the OP's application requirements, budget, equipment budget are? Until then, it's a shot in the dark. Aim low, but not at your feet.

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its the same thing. You can put the sim in a phone or a router, its the same network, speed etc.

Yeah but it's not.

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Maybe I have got it wrong, but I would have thought the download speed would be dependent on the sim card, and not much different in a phone or a router.

Pretty sure thats back to front? Some one can correct if wrong. The SIM from any provider can provide speeds depending on the package you apply for at any given time, don't think a SIM is limited to one package speed only is it? Whereas the phone/router will all have differing speeds depending on the hardware/specs albeit any new mid range smart phone these days will have good specs.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Maybe I have got it wrong, but I would have thought the download speed would be dependent on the sim card, and not much different in a phone or a router.

I have a voice only sim in one slot and a DTAC low cost annual internet sim in the other slot and that works quite adequately for my needs, even with the BBC news channel.

When out and about I use the hotspot facility for my Chromebook.

You've got it wrong. 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have a voice only sim in one slot and a DTAC low cost annual internet sim in the other slot and that works quite adequately for my needs, even with the BBC news channel.

When out and about I use the hotspot facility for my Chromebook.

The speed is dependent on the router; if there is no cap on the SIM and the bandwidth is available at the location.

Smartphones often are in a higher category than the inexpensive routers that most will utilise. Most cheap routers are incapable of carrier aggregation and there will not be capable of reaching the speeds available with a Smartphone that is capable of CA. 

The MR-6400 illustrated is a CAT. 4 device; so can only utilise a single band at a time. CA combines the bands. Up to five bands can be combined AFAIK. That's why you see claims of up to 300 Mbps, but rarely did you see anyone declaring those speeds.

In your case it's not an issue, as the speeds you will received on your capped speed SIM are within the capability of even the lowest priced 4G routers.

17 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

As requested:

AIS thb300 unlimited 10m

Capture.JPG.c4d4077a3ecd2db6c58a9eca038ba39f.JPG

Quite a lot different, isn't it? You cannot trust Speedtest to show you what you are actually getting in real time.

But thanks for posting honestly. Will add a like to your post just for that  ???? 

Whilst I'm here. I should point out to you that you are overpaying for 10 Mbps. The AIS current price for unlimited 10 Mbps with free calls is 200 baht per month. 15 Mbps without free calls at the same price. They currently also have an unlimited 30 Mbps promo for 269 baht per month that you can get through special channels or a 20 Mbps unlimited pack that you can apply by yourself via USSD code for 300 baht per month.

Truemove H and DTAC also have an unlimited 30 Mbps promo.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Pretty sure thats back to front? Some one can correct if wrong. The SIM from any provider can provide speeds depending on the package you apply for at any given time, don't think a SIM is limited to one package speed only is it? Whereas the phone/router will all have differing speeds depending on the hardware/specs albeit any new mid range smart phone these days will have good specs.

You are saying what I meant, apologies if it wasn't clear. You can buy a variety of services and my point being that the quality of service would be more dependent on the service you bought with the sim card.

The best phone or router in the world will not improve a budget service bought on the sim card.

Thanks for many informative answers and interesting discussion about routers, speed, speedtests and providers.

Now which supplier and router brand / model should I choose? I do not have a minimum or maximum budget within what is logically common sense to use on an internet connection that is resonable fast stable and can be used in different provinces.

Thanks

Felt

Truemove-H worked well for me until one day they started throttling the speeds through the router (speed went back up when tested through the phone)

I was paying 200 a month for 10mbps unlimited with a special code they don't advertise, I think the advertised one is about 700 a month

9 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

I just had a look at Tp-link on Advice computer, Shopee and Lazada. Which model would you recommended when using a simcard and notebook.

Thanks

Felt

I have a TP Link MR200 dual band 3G/4G sim router and it works fine with all the networks DTAC, TOT/NT, True and AIS networks. Note it needs a power supply. Cheapest @2490 Baht is from Hardware Corner shop in Pantip Bangkapi and can order from their online shop on Shopee

A portable 3G/4G and wifi only option would be TP-LINK (M7000) Pocket WiFi can also use sim with all networks in Thailand 1350 baht on shopee.

Hardware Corner

16 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Now which supplier and router brand / model should I choose?

Do you currently have a mobile phone? If so, make and model?

Most mobile phones can act as a WiFi Hotspot, sharing the Mobile data connection (WAN) over WiFi to other devices. This would allow you to at least experiment with the technology TODAY.

How many devices do you plan to use? Just the one notebook? Do you require a wired ethernet LAN connection? Or are all your devices WIFI-capable?

What sorts of applications do you use? Any idea on bandwidth requirements? Speed? Volume? Over what period?

Portability?

Budget?

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you currently have a mobile phone? If so, make and model?

Most mobile phones can act as a WiFi Hotspot, sharing the Mobile data connection (WAN) over WiFi to other devices. This would allow you to at least experiment with the technology TODAY.

How many devices do you plan to use? Just the one notebook? Do you require a wired ethernet LAN connection? Or are all your devices WIFI-capable?

What sorts of applications do you use? Any idea on bandwidth requirements? Speed? Volume? Over what period?

Portability?

Budget?

I have only a old Iphone 6 and its used only for calling /messaging and prefer to keep it at that. I want to use wired ethernet with the notebook only and no more devices. Speed as good as I possible can get! I have the last 24h had a look at the Tp-Link routhers but would like to know which one is recommended for my use. On Shopee they range in price from around Thb 1000 -3500,- and its inside my budget but I simply dont know what is the different on a Tp-link MR200 or MR600 so would be good with a recommendation.

Felt

33 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I have only a old Iphone 6 and its used only for calling /messaging and prefer to keep it at that. I want to use wired ethernet with the notebook only and no more devices. Speed as good as I possible can get! I have the last 24h had a look at the Tp-Link routhers but would like to know which one is recommended for my use. On Shopee they range in price from around Thb 1000 -3500,- and its inside my budget but I simply dont know what is the different on a Tp-link MR200 or MR600 so would be good with a recommendation.

Felt

The main points:

Tplink MR200 3G/4G, lan ports 10/100, download speed on 4G about 60Mbps, cat4

Tplink MR600 3G/4G/4G+ Carrier aggregation, lan ports 10/100/1000, cat6, download speed on 4G+ about 100Mbps.

If your budget allows and you can receive 4G+ network on the sim network you have and in the area where the router will be located the MR600 would be a better router than the MR200.

Edited by userabcd

4 hours ago, userabcd said:

The main points:

Tplink MR600 3G/4G/4G+ Carrier aggregation, lan ports 10/100/1000, cat6, download speed on 4G+ about 100Mbps.

If your budget allows and you can receive 4G+ network on the sim network you have and in the area where the router will be located the MR600 would be a better router than the MR200.

This one เร้าเตอร์ใส่ซิม TP-LINK (Archer MR600) 4G+ Cat6 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Warranty 3 Years | Shopee Thailand

22 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

I have only a old Iphone 6

In addition to hotspot, you can use this device NOW via USB or Bluetooth tethering. The iPhone 6 supports USB, and Bluetooth tethering. Just make sure you have a data-capable USB cable.

I get full mobile data bandwidth - same speed on my desktop PC as on the phone - using USB Tethering. I think the performance is much better with USB Tethering vs. Hotspot, but this may be phone dependent.

For a single device USB or Bluetooth Tethering might be the simplest solution.

Sorry, I always forget about this simple option.

Screenshot (Feb 26, 2022 09_02_10).png

usbtehesktop.jpg

23 hours ago, userabcd said:

The main points:

I doubt they will see the speeds that you claim using a CAT. 4 device. Look how the test result varied from Speedtest.net to testmy.net

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

In addition to hotspot, you can use this device NOW via USB or Bluetooth tethering. The iPhone 6 supports USB, and Bluetooth tethering. Just make sure you have a data-capable USB cable.

I get full mobile data bandwidth - same speed on my desktop PC as on the phone - using USB Tethering. I think the performance is much better with USB Tethering vs. Hotspot, but this may be phone dependent.

For a single device USB or Bluetooth Tethering might be the simplest solution.

Sorry, I always forget about this simple option.

Screenshot (Feb 26, 2022 09_02_10).png

He clearly isn't going to do that; but it IS a good idea for testing which network is best for them at their location.

If, for instance, they can get a max 30 Mbps qt their location; it would make sense to spring for a Unlimited 30 Mbps package currently being sold at 265 to 269 baht per month. 

If I were the OP, that would be my first step. Get the SIM and then think about which router.