Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

14 hours ago, LosLobo said:

"Security guarantees", what a joke!

In 1996 Ukraine returned all of its nuclear warheads to Russia in exchange for security assurances. From Crimea in 2014 and now in Ukraine, it is obvious that Russia can not be trusted to ever keep any agreement.  So what has changed now?

Ukraine war: what is the Budapest Memorandum and why has Russia's invasion torn it up? (theconversation.com)

History is littered with broken promises/ guarantees/ treaties by many nations. Why should it be different now?

Things change.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ukrainians evacuating the areas spoke of heavy shelling north of Irpin, shells landing in Irpin itself and dead bodies in the streets.

Chernihiv's Mayor Vladyslav Astroshenko said Russian bombardment of the city had intensified over the past 24 hours, with more than 100,000 people trapped inside and just enough food and medical supplies to last about another week.

"This is yet another confirmation that Russia always lies," he told CNN.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-31/russia-bombs-kyiv-and-chernihiv-despite-promise-to-scale-back/100953730

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Have you forgotten Gulags, poisonings of dissidents , killing journalists,  bombing maternity hospitals, ??

Not up to me to do anything about it, and I was pointing out why they are on the security council. Don't like it, take it up with your local politician.

• Haha 2

It seems to me that Putin now are giving up invading Ukraine. 

All is left now is trying to save face so the Russians still regard him as a  great leader. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

It seems to me that Putin now are giving up invading Ukraine. 

All is left now is trying to save face so the Russians still regard him as a  great leader. 

Unfortunately Putin may decide that saving face requires leaving all major cities in Ukraine as flattened ruins.

42 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

????

Britain's GCHQ spy chief says Russian soldiers refused to carry out orders in Ukraine

LONDON, March 30 (Reuters) - The head of Britain's GCHQ spy service said on Wednesday that new intelligence showed some Russian soldiers in Ukraine had refused to carry out orders, sabotaged their own equipment and accidentally shot down one of their own aircraft.

GCHQ, which gathers communications from around the world to identify and disrupt threats to Britain, has a close relationship with the U.S. National Security Agency and with the eavesdropping agencies of Australia, Canada and New Zealand in a consortium called "Five Eyes".

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/britains-gchq-spy-chief-says-russian-soldiers-refused-carry-out-orders-ukraine-2022-03-30/

Maybe if Putin fears widespread mutinies and the collapse of the Russian military he will withdraw from Ukraine.  However I've been disappointed in the past when I assumed Putin would be rational and not do anything stupid.

23 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

These Russians are savages.  I'm pretty sure there are more of these kinds of stories to come out.

S&P Global expects Russia-Ukraine insurance losses to hit $35B - Reuters

"S&P Global is expecting losses in the specialty insurance market of $16B-35B due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Reuters reported Thursday, citing a report.

Specifically, aviation insurance losses could reach $6B-15B, with other specialty lines such as cyber, political risk and marine war insurance likely to be affected as well, Reuters noted, citing the ratings agency.

"We believe it may take many years to settle the ultimate losses incurred by aircraft leasing companies, insurers, and reinsurers," S&P Global highlighted."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3819386-sp-global-expects-russia-ukraine-insurance-losses-to-hit-35b-reuters

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am talking about the here and now, not their actions 75 years ago, and their right to remain on the Security Council NOW after their abominable actions 

I am well aware why they were given the seat thank you

If you think the UN will vote to remove them good luck with that. China would probably not support it anyway, as I doubt they would want to see a major ally removed. Plenty of other countries in the UN that probably don't support the west.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slip said:

You are right. But if you could stop supporting the far right and the others who have enabled these crimes against mankind that would be just great.  I'm not holding my breath.

I already said I'm not taking any sides as I don't know enough.

Why don't you quote something I've posted that supports the far right, as far as I'm concerned I've posted nothing of the sort.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Demoralized Russian soldiers in Ukraine were refusing to carry out orders and sabotaging their own equipment and had accidentally shot down their own aircraft, a U.K. intelligence chief said on Thursday.

Jeremy Fleming, who heads the GCHQ electronic spy agency, made the remarks at a speech in the Australian capital Canberra.

Russian President Vladimir Putin had apparently “massively misjudged” the invasion, he said.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-europe-australia-canberra-3d72fb96191029659575e4b368b80bd1

• Like 1