Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

It’s obviously very easy to fall into the trap of denigrating the population of a nation engaged in an unprovoked and illegal war of aggression as being stupid or worse still complicit.

I feel we should resist this natural bias.

Don’t fall for absurd idea that  ordinary Russians aren’t able to draw accurate conclusions from the fact that as Russia engages in an illegal and totally unnecessary war with Ukrainian the Russian government blocks access to almost all social media.

When they then hear their son, the son of a relative, friend or neighbor has stopped calling home from his military posting…. Well, I’m quite sure they can work it out.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s obviously very easy to fall into the trap of denigrating the population of a nation engaged in an unprovoked and illegal war of aggression as being stupid or worse still complicit.

I feel we should resist this natural bias.

Don’t fall for absurd idea that  ordinary Russians aren’t able to draw accurate conclusions from the fact that as Russia engages in an illegal and totally unnecessary war with Ukrainian the Russian government blocks access to almost all social media.

When they then hear their son, the son of a relative, friend or neighbor has stopped calling home from his military posting…. Well, I’m quite sure they can work it out.

Here are the results of a poll from Levada.

image.png.b79fc62913d4b8624ba3548e0d9a3ba5.png

https://www.levada.ru/en/2022/04/#

The Kremlin forced it to register as a foreign organization. It's not a big favorite of theirs

7 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Xi delivers devastating blow to Putin as China pulls plug on sanctions-busting deal

XI JINPING has delivered a devastating blow to Vladimir Putin and the Russian economy, after pulling the plug on a sanctions-busting deal.

The Kremlin had hoped to strike a deal with China's UnionPay system as an alternative to Visa and MC and to get around the ban.

However, UnionPay yesterday unexpectedly pulled out of talks with Sberbank and other Russian financial institutions on the West's economic black list.

Daily Express

yesterday's news but still good !

I guess it's the consequence of VISA and Mastercard and most Western banks threatening to not work with Union Pay anymore if it had cooperated with Russia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

To "block it up"effectively would require a lot of troops needed for atrocities elsewhere.  An ineffective blockade of the area would allow the defenders to get provisions and continue to challenge Russian control of Mariupol. 

I wonder exactly is meant by "seal it off so not even a fly escapes" as has been reported in some outlet bulletins. 

Instead, the president tells them to seal it up so even a "fly" cannot escape, and says Russia has control of the strategic port city https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61157670

I am scared they will literally try to seal humans inside the building and concrete over any external entries allowing those inside to stave to death.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I wonder exactly is meant by "seal it off so not even a fly escapes" as has been reported in some outlet bulletins. 

Instead, the president tells them to seal it up so even a "fly" cannot escape, and says Russia has control of the strategic port city https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61157670

I am scared they will literally try to seal humans inside the building and concrete over any external entries allowing those inside to stave to death.

I think he was observing its so well defended not even one Russian can get in.

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

To "block it up"effectively would require a lot of troops needed for atrocities elsewhere.  An ineffective blockade of the area would allow the defenders to get provisions and continue to challenge Russian control of Mariupol. 

It's surrounded.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It may be surrounded but is it blockaded? Are all the entrances and exits being guarded? I don't know the answer to that question. Do you?

No why would I, have only read BBC report saying Putin's ordered them to seal it so he can use the soldiers in other places.  

13 minutes ago, heybruce said:

It has been surrounded on the maps for weeks.  However the steel complex the defenders are defending covers 11 sq kilometers.  A leak-proof siege requires ensuring every street, alley, footpath, sewer and anything else leading in or out be guarded with enough men and firepower to prevent anyone from leaving or entering.  Doing that will tie up Russian forces needed elsewhere.  If the siege does not use sufficient troops, the defenders can be re-supplied and/or stage a break-out.

There are still civilians inside too, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons he's decided to put in place a medieval siege is because the optics of slaughtering more civilians & not being able to blame Ukrainians. 

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No why would I, have only read BBC report saying Putin's ordered them to seal it so he can use the soldiers in other places.  

Well, you wrote "It's surrounded." But that doesn't mean much if Ukrainian soldiers can bypass Russian soldiers. And if it's not sealed off and given how large the area is, Russia is going to have to keep a lot of soldiers tied up in the effort to cordon off the area.

• Like 1

Ironic that on 9th May they are planning what they are calling a "The Carnival of Victory" in Mariupol, probably the largest war crime scene in Ukraine so far. How sick is that.

Since March 23, a grave site near Mariupol has been incrementally expanding Up to 9,000 bodies could be situated in this grave site. A war crime even bigger than Srebrenica. Some voices of refugees who just fled Mariupol: “The city is gone, the city is destroyed." “Everything is in ruins, glass, wires and bodies … They lie there for 3 weeks."  "Everything you’re going to write will constitute a fifth of the reality.”

Evacuees from Mariupol recount their escape and the hell they left behind after almost two months besieged by Russian forces. "We were asked in front of the Russian journalists who wanted to go to Russia," says one evacuee. "No one raised their hand"

Most of these look like mercenaries. Video, Kadyrov’s right-hand Delimkhanov literally says “the special operation to destroy and cleanse Mariupol” is completed. “Alllahu Akbar.” In front of destroyed, burning buildings.

image.png.2d5434aff56c5b8d9663e19b57bd6138.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, you wrote "It's surrounded." But that doesn't mean much if Ukrainian soldiers can bypass Russian soldiers. And if it's not sealed off and given how large the area is, Russia is going to have to keep a lot of soldiers tied up in the effort to cordon off the area.

As you say that's why Putin has ordered it to be seal off.

Ukraine has asked for a cease fire and a safe corridor again.

They said there are 500 wounded soldiers and 500 civilians that they want to get out in exchange for captured Russian troops.