Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Exactly - Putin's hold on power may be fairly safe just at the moment but that won't necessarily be the case forever.

There are already rumblings of discontent.

Well that's whats needed to stop the war because nobody is going to intervene.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Exactly - Putin's hold on power may be fairly safe just at the moment but that won't necessarily be the case forever.

There are already rumblings of discontent.

Try some links to evidence instead of hearsay.

47 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I think he means no one from the West is going to go into Russia and remove Vlad the Impaler. In fact I doubt if anyone from the West is going to cross the Russian border at all.

I’m not sure why you think it’s necessary to ‘cross Russian borders’ in order to intervene on Ukraine’s behalf.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect the reason why the Ukrainians have not engaged in tank to tank battles with Russia is they’d rather use asymmetric tactics.

Ukrainian soil is not solid, heavy tank is easy to sink in. And anyway open field battle make huge loses. Good that Russians are so idiot that they take tanks to close combat against infantry easy to destroy. And they follow eatch other like lambs whitch line up to slaughterhouse!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Russia is facing asymmetric warfare and crippling economic sanctions, please explain how, contrary to every other such war, time is on Russia’s side?

What seem to be forgotten,  is the civilians who is suffering in Ukraine, the western economic who is suffering heavily after the pandemic and now the war, a new winter coming and Europe still depended on russian oil and gas, Russia have the time on their side and unfortunately they have still support from many non democratic countries. 

How this will finely turn out we just don’t  know yet,  but we know Russia is willing to take a huge toll to complete their mission and will not give up easily, which we learned from the Chechnya wars. Both on civilian losses In Ukraine and their own Soldiers.

The answer we will know in a few years how this will turn out, but as I said before this is not a war Putin is willing to back out from, and we have seen what he is willing to do to reach some kind of victory. 

He still got the support from his own widely shared in western media, and This article highlight a few valid points when it comes to his position, and how it might work for him even he is loosing battles and soldiers  on top of the sanctions. Russia is on war against the free world who trying to destroy Russia. Huge losses might be to his advantage and in the long term increase the hate against the west.  

Yet, even if Russians (instinctively mistrustful of government, and expert at reading between the lines) doubt what they are told about the Ukraine conflict, the pervasiveness of the propaganda tends to shape their world view, deluding them that the West is hostile to Russia.”

“The more horrifying the allegations of Russian brutality, the greater the impulse to deny them as lies, reinforcing the siege mentality. Many patriotic and proud Russians will support their leader standing up to Western pressure, whether political or economic, rallying around the flag. 

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/rallying-around-flag-domestic-support-putin-holding

I said before, the brutality is going to continue for a long time, and now can not say it is going to get worse, since we have already seen how bad it became and it continues in the same way even the Ukraines continue to kick hard back, taking losses on behalf of the free world. 

Looking back now, it was maybe wrong not immediately creating a no fly zone in Ukraine when we now see the result. The war have gone to far where Europe and Nato holding back and did not wanted to get involved in fear to escalate the conflict in to a world war and maybe a nuclear war. 

what should have been done? Our real problem is the world’s dependence on oil and gas, and that is the tragicomedy of this war.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

17 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yeah have over 200 kilogram explosives under your butt and maybe extras ammo's also. And system is really sht. One time in Lapland we shoot real ammo and i was stuck in shooting area because i need to switch off all power from tank. Even radio not working. There is chain whitch load ammo and explosive baggage in the tube. Ammo going in nicely but explosive baggage going side way, when not goign truely in that chain start hiting over and over again detanator in explosive baggage! ???? So i need to get power off from tank that we not die in that place LMAO. We was trainig retreat battle and all my company was far away already. Company has 9 tanks 3 times alfa,3 times berta,3 times celcius. I was berta 2. So explosive baggage stuck in half way on tube and no electrisity on tank. 

I take ak-47 (equipment in tank , tank man has pistol in personal weapon) and start to hit side on that baggage and try also bend it off from tube. Finally i manage to do that and put power on. Right away call command center and say or shout lol HOLD FIRE berta 2 still in fire zone. Then call my own captain that i need help. Find out that there was bigger issue in tank that just loading system error. All shell's from ammo's i shoot already was inside tank, not going outside like should. So hole "automatic " loading system was stuck and goign to put tower to mode that it not work/turn.

After 1 houer fix our practise "war" continued. 

Glad you were OK. Maybe they need to add a couple of tubes of KY to the first aid kit?

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Hummin said:

What seem to be forgotten,  is the civilians who is suffering in Ukraine, the western economic who is suffering heavily after the pandemic and now the war, a new winter coming and Europe still depended on russian oil and gas, Russia have the time on their side and unfortunately they have still support from many non democratic countries. 

How this will finely turn out we just don’t  know yet,  but we know Russia is willing to take a huge toll to complete their mission and will not give up easily, which we learned from the Chechnya wars. Both on civilian losses In Ukraine and their own Soldiers.

The answer we will know in a few years how this will turn out, but as I said before this is not a war Putin is willing to back out from, and we have seen what he is willing to do to reach some kind of victory. 

He still got the support from his own widely shared in western media, and This article highlight a few valid points when it comes to his position, and how it might work for him even he is loosing battles and soldiers  on top of the sanctions. Russia is on war against the free world who trying to destroy Russia. Huge losses might be to his advantage and in the long term increase the hate against the west.  

Yet, even if Russians (instinctively mistrustful of government, and expert at reading between the lines) doubt what they are told about the Ukraine conflict, the pervasiveness of the propaganda tends to shape their world view, deluding them that the West is hostile to Russia.”

“The more horrifying the allegations of Russian brutality, the greater the impulse to deny them as lies, reinforcing the siege mentality. Many patriotic and proud Russians will support their leader standing up to Western pressure, whether political or economic, rallying around the flag. 

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/rallying-around-flag-domestic-support-putin-holding

I said before, the brutality is going to continue for a long time, and now can not say it is going to get worse, since we have already seen how bad it became and it continues in the same way even the Ukraines continue to kick hard back, taking losses on behalf of the free world. 

Looking back now, it was maybe wrong not immediately creating a no fly zone in Ukraine when we now see the result. The war have gone to far where Europe and Nato holding back and did not wanted to get involved in fear to escalate the conflict in to a world war and maybe a nuclear war. 

what should have been done? Our real problem is the world’s dependence on oil and gas, and that is the tragicomedy of this war.

So how he Russian losses in Putin’s war of aggression causes Russians to hate the West.

Or of course it could cause then to start thinking about the mess Putin caused.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LosLobo said:

The conversation was never about Russian vs Ukrainian maintenance effectiveness, it was about the tank crew sitting unprotected on top of the ammunition magazine/carousel.

Actually, the subthread (conversation) when someone pointed out that Ukraine has more tanks in the theatre than does Russia. Someone else pointed out that Russia has a lot more tanks in reserve

image.png.d46450606c7b10cb6e3fcbf0670339c0.png

And on from there.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe thaivisa.com has appointed you the arbiter of where subthreads begin and end. But until I get official confirmation of that, I'll go with exchanges that have actually occurred recently in the thread. But thanks for trying to be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

ehh? I doubt if anyone has forgotten about the civilians suffering in Ukraine here! ☹️☹️

Oh man, please, simple answer, since the war goes on more civilian dies in a horrific way, it takes a toll on Ukraine the longer the war last. 

It is impossible to give replies when the roof is so limited to simple thinking and simple answers. Russia sit back on distance and continue to launch rockets in to civilian areas and also continue to target important infrastructure that brakes their delivery lines of weapon and food, 

You guys have to think about how you guys respond to others ho take part in this tragic topic. This is not a war among us here, or is it? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Oh man, please, simple answer, since the war goes on more civilian dies in a horrific way, it takes a toll on Ukraine the longer the war last. 

It is impossible to give replies when the roof is so limited to simple thinking and simple answers. Russia sit back on distance and continue to launch rockets in to civilian areas and also continue to target important infrastructure that brakes their delivery lines of weapon and food, 

You guys have to think about how you guys respond to others ho take part in this tragic topic. This is not a war among us here, or is it? 

Missiles can fly 2 ways. Exactly how far from the Ukraine do you think Russia is?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Missiles can fly 2 ways. Exactly how far from the Ukraine do you think Russia is?

One problem as mentioned before, is the logistics to get enough weapons for defence in Ukraine, and I believe targets in Russia is so far limited to oil Depot's

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, the subthread (conversation) when someone pointed out that Ukraine has more tanks in the theatre than does Russia. Someone else pointed out that Russia has a lot more tanks in reserve

image.png.d46450606c7b10cb6e3fcbf0670339c0.png

Seems like you are admitting that you posted on my comment by mistake.

12 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Seems like you are admitting that you posted on my comment by mistake.

Considering that my comment explicitly addressed the point you raised, I would like to know how you came to that conclusion. Here it is in its devastating entirety:

image.png.389d0697a15cda66b711625829c350af.png

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

One problem as mentioned before, is the logistics to get enough weapons for defence in Ukraine, and I believe targets in Russia is so far limited to oil Depot's

Targets have not just been limited to oil depots, last nights one near the oil depot also struck a large military ammunition facility of the 29th brigade of the Russian Railway Troops whose duties are logistics command. Lots of artillery and missiles located there. They help supply the entire Russian armed forces.

Railway lines, oil facilities and military bases in Belgorod - another logistical hub in Russia but close to the Ukrainian border - have been targeted several times in recent weeks, including by low-flying helicopters. Klimovo, a village with a nearby military base in the wider Bryansk region, was also struck.

Rob Lee, a respected military analyst, said Monday's strike on the city of Bryansk itself could have been carried out using Tochka-U ballistic missiles fired from within Ukraine which would be capable of ranging both the oil facility and nearby military base.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yes, you mentioned that and gave us no link to your source. Whereas...

West sends Ukraine heavy weapons amid fighting in Donbas

Western nations say they are dispatching more heavy weaponry and even aircraft to Ukraine as part of an effort to strengthen the country’s military as Russia steps up its attacks in the east.

The Pentagon said Wednesday that the Ukrainian air force has at least 20 more fighter jets available to them after an influx of parts in the last few weeks made repairs possible.

Ukraine has “been given whole helicopters, including helicopters from the United States,” a senior U.S. defense official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity under terms set by the Pentagon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/20/ukraine-russia-fighter-jets-weapons-war/

• Like 1