Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/06/10/7351750/

Kremlin denies prisoner of war status for two British citizens "condemned to death" in the DPR 

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova referred to international humanitarian law, according to which the British nationals are not "combatants", and thus this status [of prisoner of war] cannot apply to them.

=> what "international humanitarian law" is she referring to, Russia is a signatory of the Geneva Conventions which are very clear about the status of the two men, which are not mercenaries.

Ruzzians full of BS as usual, everything they say is a lie.

She then went on to say "According to her, no appeals concerning Aiden Aslin and Shaun Pinner have been received from the British side by the Russian Foreign Ministry."

What is the likeliness of truth ?

22 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am guessing life in a Russian prison for even short period of time will be one of violence and humiliation, before becoming a pawn in an exchange game between countries 

Except that they weren't sentenced to life imprisonment, they were sentenced to death.

2 Britons and Moroccan sentenced to death by pro-Russian court in self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic

15 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Except that they weren't sentenced to life imprisonment, they were sentenced to death.

2 Britons and Moroccan sentenced to death by pro-Russian court in self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic

What was concerning was to read in the report Aslin pleaded Guilty to a serious  charge, can't believe he would do that. 

11 hours ago, tgw said:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/06/10/7351750/

Kremlin denies prisoner of war status for two British citizens "condemned to death" in the DPR 

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova referred to international humanitarian law, according to which the British nationals are not "combatants", and thus this status [of prisoner of war] cannot apply to them.

=> what "international humanitarian law" is she referring to, Russia is a signatory of the Geneva Conventions which are very clear about the status of the two men, which are not mercenaries.

Ruzzians full of BS as usual, everything they say is a lie.

She then went on to say "According to her, no appeals concerning Aiden Aslin and Shaun Pinner have been received from the British side by the Russian Foreign Ministry."

What is the likeliness of truth ?

It's been found out there's more to Aslin than what's reported. 

The other British guy was in the British forces. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Virt said:

Depressing news.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/10/were-almost-out-of-ammunition-and-relying-on-western-arms-says-ukraine

The longer this war continues the more it seems like russia actually have a chance to win this thing ☹️

If they gain permanent control of the east, they will use that as a stage for next step 

It would totally suck for Ukraine and the west would have waisted 100's of billion of dollars for nothing.

If the West want Ukraine to succeed it's time to bring in the biggest stuff, no matter if russia says it's crossing a red line.

I'm close to saying that it's time for NATO to interfer no matter what it cost and i live somewhat close to russian territory, so i know what it could mean.

If russia wins in Ukraine, Europe will never be safe again.

The threat to food supplies is the real pressing matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I am well aware of the sentence thanks, however I was making a comment on conditions, and what I think may occur

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would say aren't you aware of what you post by implying NATO should start interfering.

Yes I'm well aware of what i posted.

Should we start a larger war to save Ukraine and stop russia?

Most politicians says NATO will not interfer and that's the same thing as saying Ukraine are left alone if they can't manage to fight of russia with the weapon supplies we give them.

No easy solutions to this tragic war.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Virt said:

Most politicians says NATO will not interfer and that's the same thing as saying Ukraine are left alone if they can't manage to fight of russia with the weapon supplies we give them.

One very easy solution, Russia withdraws and pays reparation

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

One very easy solution, Russia withdraws and pays reparation

I think most of us on this forum wishes for that, but seems like Putin has other plans and keeps on using the russian soldiers as cannon fodder, with high casualties for both sides.

What the heck are Putin going to use Ukraine for if he wins?

He will have more NATO countries as neighbours.

There will be a trillion dollar bill waiting to repair what he has destroyed if he want to use the destroyed cities again.

There will be civil war for decades.

The sanctions against Russia will not be lifted as long as he is at power and in Ukraine.

I really can't see what he hopes to gain from this war, other that nursing his own ego.

26 minutes ago, Virt said:

It's been like that from the start with Ukraine being for the want of better words in a catch 22 and no win situation which Russia knew they would be otherwise Russia wouldn't of attacked in the first place. 

There's a much wider picture to the situation going back years IMHO. 

36 minutes ago, Virt said:

That is just one article, and many other sites have similar articles where it seems that russia are slowly gaining some momentum due to various factors.

Which is bad news.

In reality the question is how far are people willing to go to support Ukraine.

Most people draw the lines between support, sanctions and supply money on one side, where direct military involvement is on the other side.

Hopefully it never comes to a full blown war against russia, but we just have to realize Ukraine might lose if NATO don't interfer.

I'm 100% on the Ukrainians side, but also realize there is a risk they might ending up losing, no matter how bravery they fight.

If so, then all the support the west have supplied has been for nothing.

Hopefully russia withdraw but that seems like wishing thinking at the moment.

Yes they need more support,they are basically fighting Russia against the West in their country.

I do not think Putin wants to risk to attack NATO,i hope an option would be for NATO to tell Putin to go back home or else.

More heavy guns as promised but the Ukraine needs more!

Already Russia has shown they do not have the power to over run a country that is much smaller than them.

NATO's airforce could kick Putin out of the Ukraine in a few days.

Wishful thinking on my part .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Virt said:

I really can't see what he hopes to gain from this war, other that nursing his own ego.

The other day Putin compared himself to Peter the Great. This was, according to Putin, not someone who waged war on other countries and played land-grab: he was simply taking back what once belonged to Russia. And Putin, in his private little insane universe, is just doing the same thing, so it’s totally justified.

I’m also pretty sure that Putin’s reality is pretty far removed from what’s actually going on in the real world. And he’s probably dying of cancer, so maybe he decided that he needed to do something drastic so people will remember him when he’s gone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It's been like that from the start with Ukraine being for the want of better words in a catch 22 and no win situation which Russia knew they would be otherwise Russia wouldn't of attacked in the first place. 

back like at  Peter the Great era, do you care top share, I am interested as long as you have back up data

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am well aware of the sentence thanks, however I was making a comment on conditions, and what I think may occur.

Then I'm confused. If that's the case, why make your response to a post that said they were sentenced to life imprisonment? Especially when there were posts you could have quoted from, that gave the correct sentence.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

The other day Putin compared himself to Peter the Great. This was, according to Putin, not someone who waged war on other countries and played land-grab: he was simply taking back what once belonged to Russia. And Putin, in his private little insane universe, is just doing the same thing, so it’s totally justified.

I’m also pretty sure that Putin’s reality is pretty far removed from what’s actually going on in the real world. And he’s probably dying of cancer, so maybe he decided that he needed to do something drastic so people will remember him when he’s gone. 

He mused recently, ' If the motherland ( Greater Russia) cannot exist, then why should the world?'

Insane  and narcissistic enough perhaps to press the nuclear button.

34 minutes ago, bannork said:

He mused recently, ' If the motherland ( Greater Russia) cannot exist, then why should the world?'

Insane  and narcissistic enough perhaps to press the nuclear button.

Looks like he’s dying of cancer, and that his mind is going as well, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he wants to go out with a bang. I just hope his handlers/generals have a better grip on reality, and a stronger will to live. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The threat to food supplies is the real pressing matter.

They need to clear the sea mines.

Starting now and not waiting for more fingers in the pie to do the job as will be to late.

Otherwise cutting the wheat for hay may be a better option.

Won't feed the people but will feed animals for the people to eat rather than go rotten.

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Really? Is that why Russia launched its dismal failure of an attack on Kiev because it had superior knowledge?

• Sad 1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, JetsetBkk said:

Sacked Ukraine Commissioner admits to LYING over Russian atrocities to get more weapons

I think anyone with an once of critical thinking didn't fall for it, except the main stream media and the hysterical anti-Putin crowd

a lot of propaganda coming from all sides,

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What was concerning was to read in the report Aslin pleaded Guilty to a serious  charge, can't believe he would do that. 

A serious charge? Actually it was charges and they weren't serious but rather ridiculous.

"On Wednesday, the state-run news agency RIA Novosti shared footage of the men pleading “guilty” to the charges against them, which also included terrorism, committing a crime as part of a criminal group, and forcible seizure of power or forcible retention of power."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/09/britons-sentenced-to-death-russian-occupied-ukraine-aiden-aslin-shaun-pinner

So what possible reason could Aslin have to plead guilty in a court that is renowned for its scrupulous respect of human rights? I look forward to your explanation since you claim to know things about Aslin that haven't been reported on.

Edited by placeholder
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

I think anyone with an once of critical thinking didn't fall for it, except the main stream media and the hysterical anti-Putin crowd

a lot of propaganda coming from all sides,

"hysterical anti-Putin crowd" who do you think they might be then? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Before it was a non existent report about Russian advances in the south that you claim to have heard on France24 or Al-Jazeera even though there's plenty of evidence that wasn't the case. Now you're claiming "there's more to Aislin than what's reported". Did you get this info from another phantom broadcast?

No, I also read that. He was also convicted of "training in terrorist activities".

• Thanks 1