Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

Russian teacher says students reported her for making anti-war comments in class room

From CNN’s Maija Ehlinger, Susanna Capelouto, and Josh Pennington

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-04-11-22/index.html

Jail threat: Teacher Irina Gen is being investigated for violating a new censorship law that bans the spread of so-called "false information" discrediting the Russian military. It carries a prison sentence of up to 10 years and a fine of up to 5 million rubles (about $60,000).

Gen told Radio Liberty she hoped she would only be given a fine, and not made an example of. "There will definitely be an excruciating trial waiting for me. And then a verdict, which will dictate how I can begin to build my life anew," she said 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes we know what war criminal Putin has announced but we don't know yet what the Russian positions will actually be in time for the announced propaganda party.

As ever everyone has to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Putin has delivered Russia out of cooperation and trade into isolation and containment.

Not to mention bankruptcy and utter poverty. Hope the Russian people like eating cabbage soup and rats and mice.

13 minutes ago, tgw said:

Russian teacher says students reported her for making anti-war comments in class room

From CNN’s Maija Ehlinger, Susanna Capelouto, and Josh Pennington

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-04-11-22/index.html

It’s the darkest communist times all over again. I once dated a Czechoslovakian woman, who had managed to escape to Germany (she was 11 at the time), with her parents and siblings from then communist Czechoslovakia. She told me that her parents never discussed any sensitive topics in front of the children, because they were afraid one of the children might repeat anything in class or to friends, and that would/could be enough to get them in serious trouble with the authorities. Imagine having to live like that as parents, always having to be careful what you say in front of your own children.

35 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

It’s the darkest communist times all over again. I once dated a Czechoslovakian woman, who had managed to escape to Germany (she was 11 at the time), with her parents and siblings from then communist Czechoslovakia. She told me that her parents never discussed any sensitive topics in front of the children, because they were afraid one of the children might repeat anything in class or to friends, and that would/could be enough to get them in serious trouble with the authorities. Imagine having to live like that as parents, always having to be careful what you say in front of your own children.

Same thing with the Nazis and Hitler Youth. 

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Also, another part of what is now Ukraine used to belong to Poland so perhaps you think that part of Ukraine should revert to being part of Poland (since historical part ownership seems to you to be so dispositive).

Without being pedantic about it, that does seem to be something that certain people's think should happen elsewhere eg the Republican Irish of Northern Ireland think it should be part of greater Ireland, presumably for historical reasons. I'm sure I could find other examples if I wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Russia has made a “massive strategic blunder” as Finland and Sweden look poised to join Nato as early as the summer,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/finland-sweden-set-to-join-nato-war-ukraine-latest-7m8bn6mf8

It's starting to look like the Cold War all over again, with increased spending on the military, which is unfortunate given many countries are probably broke from covid mandates.

The arms manufacturers are probably laughing all the way to the bank. So much for giving peace a chance- John Lennon must be spinning in his grave.

• Like 1

The mayor of the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol said Monday that more than 10,000 civilians have died in the Russian siege of his city, and that the death toll could surpass 20,000, with corpses that were “carpeted through the streets.”

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-state-of-the-union-address-zelenskyy-biden-kyiv-7cc069b80178629a60f4f2d166348d45

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO about time. They've been relying on the US for far too long and not, IMO, pulling their own weight in NATO.

You are clearly unaware of the fact re-arming Germany has, since 1945, been seen by Russia as a provocation.

Germany, relying on NATO and therefore not re-arming, was a very  deliberate policy of Western diplomacy towards maintaining peace with Russia.

However, as I observe, Russia has demonstrated all peace treaties with Russia are worthless. German re-armament is a policy change Russia always objected to but which Putin’s aggression has brought about.

• Like 2

Without being pedantic about it, that does seem to be something that certain people's think should happen elsewhere eg the Republican Irish of Northern Ireland think it should be part of greater Ireland, presumably for historical reasons. I'm sure I could find other examples if I wanted to.

There’s a difference between what individual citizens of a nation want and the aggressive military actions ordered by a tyrant.

Although, for some, it appears backing the tyrant is a thing.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Not to mention bankruptcy and utter poverty. Hope the Russian people like eating cabbage soup and rats and mice.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.

"We've given Ukraine nearly €1 billion. That might seem like a lot but €1 billion is what we're paying [Vladimir] Putin every day for the energy he provides us with. Since the start of the war, we've given him €35 billion, compared to the €1 billion we've given Ukraine to arm itself."

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/04/06/eu-has-spent-35bn-on-russian-energy-and-just-1bn-on-aid-borrell

• Like 2

It's starting to look like the Cold War all over again, with increased spending on the military, which is unfortunate given many countries are probably broke from covid mandates.

The arms manufacturers are probably laughing all the way to the bank. So much for giving peace a chance- John Lennon must be spinning in his grave.

Peace was given a chance.

Putin put a stop to it. 

I pleased to see you are catching up with the consequences of his actions.

As I said earlier:

Putin has delivered Russia out of cooperation and trade into isolation and containment.

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, I don’t make arguments on behalf of other members. 

TBL chose to omit naming the country, I have provided an explanation of the problem that choice presents for the veracity of his claims.

Have a think as to why he may have omitted naming the Country . 

• Like 1