Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

20 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Who said it was over? The only sad thing is that it would have been if you’d had your way throwing up the white flag and the dictator and war criminal Putin would now have control of Ukraine and have his next target in sights.

The price of freedom is never cheap otherwise the whole world would be free right now. However it’s a price that those who strive for it are willing to pay. Yes I know that does not include you……

To repeat I said its not over yet.

Nobody knows what would of happened if Ukraine submitted.

Putin's aim as said over and over again was to stop the advance of NATO to his borders.

The price freedom is not cheap but it can also be paid by patients, intelligence, without great loses of life. 

War is so different these days it doesn't solve anything IMHO. 

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"For any peace to occur which should be everyone's goal,Ukraine Russia will not be left with an arsenal of NATO weapons."

Fixed if for you.  After all, Russia was the aggressor.

There lies the problem Russia or more so Putin doesn't see himselve as the aggressor Putin see's NATO closing in with US helping.

Should peace be achieved, can the international communities which seized assets from the hierarchy,  liquidate those assets, and use the funds as part of a rebuilding effort for Ukraine?

53 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Repeat the obvious all you want. While your at it explain how advocating for Ukraine to submit to something that you now say nobody would know the outcome of would be beneficial to anybody?

Putin has already lost his dream of stopping nato, Finland and possibly Sweden are now because of this expediting their entry to NATO. Is he going to attack them next?

You keep asking me questions I do not have answers to. 

The mess that is happening now is what needs to be brought to an end. 

And to repeat again the only way I see that to happen is for the Russians to end Putin's reign.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

You seem to put a lot of weight behind the ICC.

They won't help with the solutions of the here and now.

Russia also with withdrew its signature to the ICC 2016., as did USA in 2002 , so although the principles stand, their ability to try anyone is not only a lengthy process, their ability in this case probably zilch

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

You seem to put a lot of weight behind the ICC.

They won't help with the solutions of the here and now.

In respect to Putin using the excuse of Nato for his crimes and murders in the International court then yes that is not a defense.

The here and now is still no excuse either for the crimes and murders that are continuing. Right?

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

And to repeat again the only way I see that to happen is for the Russians to end Putin's reign.

I’m asking questions related to the assertions you keep making. When called out on those you then refuse to answer and instead deflect as above. Changing the goal posts as Putin does is not an admirable trait.

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ending Putin's reign would be a good solution IMO, however it would take some folks with huge "cojones" to do this.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I was reminded of it when I was watching a movie called "The Courier" last night, when JFK called Khrushchev's bluff, when Khrushchev was moving missiles into Cuba and a nuclear war was the push of a button away, but JFK delivered his own "threat/promise" to the USSR, and they withdrew their missiles and stopped new ones arriving.

Surely Putin must be aware that if he launched nuclear weapons, they would kill his own countrymen as well as others, and could/should provoke other countries to do likewise to Russia, so it's a no-win situation, as well as making countries affected by nuclear fallout, damn near useless for decades to come.

The US/Nato should stand its ground, issue a similar threat to Putin (and that might get a change of leadership in itself) and call Putin out, and start to ship its fighter planes to Poland to allow them to pass on their fighter aircraft to the Ukraine.

Sorry if it's been covered before, but I haven't got time to review 82 pages of comments!!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Ending Putin's reign would be a good solution IMO, however it would take some folks with huge "cojones" to do this.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I was reminded of it when I was watching a movie called "The Courier" last night, when JFK called Khrushchev's bluff, when Khrushchev was moving missiles into Cuba and a nuclear war was the push of a button away, but JFK delivered his own "threat/promise" to the USSR, and they withdrew their missiles and stopped new ones arriving.

Surely Putin must be aware that if he launched nuclear weapons, they would kill his own countrymen as well as others, and could/should provoke other countries to do likewise to Russia, so it's a no-win situation, as well as making countries affected by nuclear fallout, damn near useless for decades to come.

The US should stand its ground, issue a similar threat to Putin (and that might get a change of leadership in itself) and start to ship its fighter planes to Poland to allow them to pass on their fighter aircraft to the Ukraine.

Sorry if it's been covered before, but I haven't got time to review 82 pages of comments!!

Actually JFK not only put sanctions in place, he placed a ring of US vessels around Cuba, when the Russian Navy approached they were challenged, and turned back to stop the button pressing, Slightly different circumstances to put a naval blockade in place.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Russia also with withdrew its signature to the ICC 2016., as did USA in 2002 , so although the principles stand, their ability to try anyone is not only a lengthy process, their ability in this case probably zilch

Its complicated but not impossible, article here covers some of the options, its a good read:

How would those accused of Ukraine war crimes be prosecuted?

"Poland, Germany, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, France, Slovakia, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland all opened independent investigations into Russia’s activity in Ukraine within the first month of the conflict. They can do so under the legal concept of “universal jurisdiction,” which allows countries to use domestic courts to prosecute individuals for grave violations of international law, like crimes against humanity, torture and war crimes – even if they are committed abroad by foreign perpetrators against foreign victims."

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-africa-united-nations-war-crimes-europe-6bdb1d4ea6d13830fdf048e46ec8199e

There is also another initiative going on here:

High-Level Launch Meeting of the Group of Friends of Accountability Following the Aggression Against Ukraine

The GoF will serve as an informal forum for states dedicated to ensuring accountability for international crimes committed following the Russian invasion of Ukraine with the aim of:

Information sharing among states and relevant international organizations, institutions, and civil society in order to optimize the process of accountability and the delivery of justice.

Including and engaging smaller states, whose capacity to follow the development of accountability measures may not match the importance they attach to the respect for the rule-based international order.

https://www.ipinst.org/2022/03/high-level-launch-meeting-of-group-of-friends-of-accountability-for-ukraine

They're not going there to waste their time:

International Criminal Court team head to Ukraine for war crimes investigation

A team from the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague has left for Ukraine to start investigating possible war crimes, its top prosecutor has said.

Hours before their departure on Thursday, Prosecutor Karim Khan said he would start collecting evidence as part of a formal investigation launched after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"Yesterday I formulated a team and today they are moving to the region," Mr Khan told Reuters.

https://news.sky.com/story/international-criminal-court-team-head-to-ukraine-for-war-crimes-investigation-12556564

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Actually JFK not only put sanctions in place, he placed a ring of US vessels around Cuba, when the Russian Navy approached they were challenged, and turned back to stop the button pressing, Slightly different circumstances to put a naval blockade in place.

He called Khrushchev's "bluff" and stood up to him, and no matter how he did it, someone needs to do the same to Putin IMO.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its complicated but not impossible, article here covers some of the options, its a good read:

How would those accused of Ukraine war crimes be prosecuted?

"Poland, Germany, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, France, Slovakia, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland all opened independent investigations into Russia’s activity in Ukraine within the first month of the conflict. They can do so under the legal concept of “universal jurisdiction,” which allows countries to use domestic courts to prosecute individuals for grave violations of international law, like crimes against humanity, torture and war crimes – even if they are committed abroad by foreign perpetrators against foreign victims."

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-africa-united-nations-war-crimes-europe-6bdb1d4ea6d13830fdf048e46ec8199e

There is also another initiative going on here:

High-Level Launch Meeting of the Group of Friends of Accountability Following the Aggression Against Ukraine

The GoF will serve as an informal forum for states dedicated to ensuring accountability for international crimes committed following the Russian invasion of Ukraine with the aim of:

Information sharing among states and relevant international organizations, institutions, and civil society in order to optimize the process of accountability and the delivery of justice.

Including and engaging smaller states, whose capacity to follow the development of accountability measures may not match the importance they attach to the respect for the rule-based international order.

https://www.ipinst.org/2022/03/high-level-launch-meeting-of-group-of-friends-of-accountability-for-ukraine

They're not going there to waste their time:

International Criminal Court team head to Ukraine for war crimes investigation

A team from the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague has left for Ukraine to start investigating possible war crimes, its top prosecutor has said.

Hours before their departure on Thursday, Prosecutor Karim Khan said he would start collecting evidence as part of a formal investigation launched after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"Yesterday I formulated a team and today they are moving to the region," Mr Khan told Reuters.

https://news.sky.com/story/international-criminal-court-team-head-to-ukraine-for-war-crimes-investigation-12556564

Good luck getting Putin into the court. Not going to happen, IMO.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

The US/Nato should stand its ground, issue a similar threat to Putin (and that might get a change of leadership in itself) and call Putin out, and start to ship its fighter planes to Poland to allow them to pass on their fighter aircraft to the Ukraine.

Seriously? You actually think Ukrainian pilots can jump into the cockpit of a strange aircraft and win against Russian pilots?

Those planes cost multi millions of $ and I doubt the US wants them falling into Russian hands to look at the secret stuff in them.

Ukraine is not in NATO so what grounds does NATO have to get involved?

Seems like some on here want WW3 between nuclear armed countries. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 2