Family of South African jailed in Thailand remain hopeful

webfact

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Would she have gotten the same support if she wasn't young & attractive?  Imagine some dusty old fart doing the exact same thing as she allegedly did.

I would imagine that their are many on this site who would fit that description, so the answer is yes!

3 minutes ago, Bezdomny said:

Even if she is guilty nobody deserves life sentence for drugs.

She originally got a death sentence, a punishment doled out in many many countries, Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, China, Iran, Singapore...a few examples.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Twod0gs said:

It is quite obvious from reading the comments in this group that virtually none of you have read the full story, or the confession by her boyfriend.

If you don't know the full story how can you fairly come to such vilifying conclusions. This was a naïve young girl pretty much straight out of school who was taken advantage of by greedy, uncaring older men - not an unusual scenario especially in this part of the world.. She had no history of drug taking and no drugs or paraphernalia were found in the search of her apartment. All she wanted to do was travel the world and do good by teaching young (Thai) children. She was apparently held in high regard by parents and loved by her colleagues and kids. Hardly the profile of a hardened drug smuggler.

Give the poor girl a fair go and cease with all the disparaging remarks.

Let us hope that common sense and justice rule - she has already spent way too much time in a Thai jail for something that would not even result in arrest, let alone conviction, in the civilised world.

Maybe you should read my post - 3 above..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guyzatool said:

African fellas staying in Thailand mostly pimps/drug dealers.  Walk along Sukhumvit Rd, see how many offer drugs/girls/both.  Often police just 10-20m away.

White South Africans walking along trying to sell Girls and drugs....... No....I must have missed it all..........:omfg:

Tristan Nettles, Ashley's boyfriend admitted he was the guilty party.

image.png.1bf78885aa196ae80f2359cf7f6d6917.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

She looks a good sort, too bad she's an idiot. 

She should've dumped the bf and advertised herself on Thaifriendly, Tinder etc.

Lots of money to be made, going by the conversations I've had with the young ladies I've supported over the many years. 

I'm seeing more and more female foreigners on these sites making a living. 

and they like mature men as well, unlike most Thai's i meet.

Rich Thais get of with crime and murder. Police kill people and get away with it. Lawyers make money on cheating their clients and destroying their life’s.

This place is so unbelievably unfair and corrupt on all levels. EVERYTHING here is about easy money and personal enrichment. 

Innocent or not, I feel sorry for this girl.

• Like 2

Sounds like her boyfriend made sure he didn't sign for the package knowing she would . Just a guess not knowing the full story . People sign for packages for neighbours ,friends and family everyday without thinking anything other than doing a good deed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

allow me to doubt a bit! why to sign a package you haven't ordered? the address of the package was in whose name? two questions, two reasons to be suspicious

Because if the package is sent to the address you are working at ,addressed to your BF who is your boss you sign for it and give it to him.  Not usually a big deal.  My neighbor has signed for pkgs for me (Pattaya)  when I am in Bangkok at my condo.  When I am in Pattaya my wife  or father-in-law  sign for my letters/pkgs as he owns the condo building.

Edited by Tony125
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve worked as a lawyer in Thailand many years and have seen the criminal justice system up front. It’s comically incompetent and frequently corrupt (payments to judges to secure favorable judgments are not uncommon, because like the police, judges are not well paid.) However, it’s incredulous that Thailand’s finest (i.e. RTP) AND ta Thai court would arrest, convict and sentence (initially) to death a young Farang lady who did nothing more than sign for receipt of a package. In all likelihood there must be evidence credible that she was an active participant (directly or indirectly) in ordering, receiving and/or on-selling these drugs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

She just signed for a package totally not justified I often sign for packages from my neighbor when it comes and they’re not home I think in the future I’ll never do that again TiT

Bit of a difference unless you neighbour is a known drug dealer like the boyfiend in this case. She  can't have been ignorant of what he was up to so accepting any package for him was unwise at best, culpability at worst.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

if the package wasn't addressed directly to her, the police have no right to arrest her.

She was in possession of the drugs at the time of her arrest, in her own restaurant, that's what she got  the life sentence for.  She wasn't charged with "having a package addressed to herself".  

Edited by Liverpool Lou