Invasion! Eyes towards Europe as people in Thailand ponder the consequences

webfact

Ukraine is a bad, (bl.ody tragic) situation all round. I aint' no global political pundit genius but I believe what I saw and heard from Putins own mouth yesterday (I think it was yesterday) was deeply disturbing. He is from that rant an unhinged man and it seems bent to recreate the old Czarist Russia which included Poland Estonia, Bulgaria Latvia Finland (have I left any countries out?). 

In my heart and gut I hope the Ukrainians make the invaders pay a very dear price for every centimetre of earth they occupy, and if subjugated and swept behind the neo-iron curtain continue to wage an excruciatingly painful war of grinding attrition against their new eastern master demigog.

I agree with posters who say well what about the West and their hegemony and war crimes? I hold no resistance to that truth either. After all I would indeed be a hypocrite if I refused to own and openly acknowledge my home nations compliance with and participation in the illegal and evil war against Iraq, all under false and fake US driven narratives.

I abhor bullies and so instinctively side with Ukraine in this latest obscene episode of mans bullying inhumanity to man.

From years of working with sociopaths and other mentally ill people I know with little doubt that Putin is indeed a threat to the entire world and will continue to be.

The solution, other than him being scheduled to a maximum security mental facility, or a faster alternative, which might be an oversimplification of intervention, via the use of a well timed application of cordite to the cerebellum.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais will probably react more with the continuing rise in fuel prices, extra effects on tourism after the pandemic, travel restrictions, a rise in gold prices, that sort of financial thing.

Few could pick Ukraine out on a map, even if they could locate Europe!

Usually, of a wonderful knowledge of world map are people of another country rumoured, country with the most Nobel Prize laureates... (but perhaps, we 've got it wrong, haven't we?)    

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ukraine is a bad, (bl.ody tragic) situation all round. I aint' no global political pundit genius but I believe what I saw and heard from Putins own mouth yesterday (I think it was yesterday) was deeply disturbing. He is from that rant an unhinged man and it seems bent to recreate the old Czarist Russia which included Poland Estonia, Bulgaria Latvia Finland (have I left any countries out?). 

In my heart and gut I hope the Ukrainians make the invaders pay a very dear price for every centimetre of earth they occupy, and if subjugated and swept behind the neo-iron curtain continue to wage an excruciatingly painful war of grinding attrition against their new eastern master demigog.

I agree with posters who say well what about the West and their hegemony and war crimes? I hold no resistance to that truth either. After all I would indeed be a hypocrite if I refused to own and openly acknowledge my home nations compliance with and participation in the illegal and evil war against Iraq, all under false and fake US driven narratives.

I abhor bullies and so instinctively side with Ukraine in this latest obscene episode of mans bullying inhumanity to man.

From years of working with sociopaths and other mentally ill people I know with little doubt that Putin is indeed a threat to the entire world and will continue to be.

The solution, other than him being scheduled to a maximum security mental facility, or a faster alternative, which might be an oversimplification of intervention, via the use of a well timed application of cordite to the cerebellum.

Did you not see what Saddam Hussein  did to his people during his 24 year rain.  Text book Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and more.  Illegal  or not he needed to be removed.  The war wasn't  against Iraq, it was against Saddam Hussein and his thugs.  

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

What is happening in Ukraine bears more resemblance to what happened in Czechoslovakia during 1938 than Poland in 1939.

In the case of the Polish invasion it triggered a declaration of war by Britain and France......they were treaty bound to do so.

At the moment Putin is being "appeased", as Hitler was in 1938.

Garry Kasparov quote: Vladimir Putin has this animalistic instinct of all  dictators: He...

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 11-28-43 winston churchill quotes crocodile - Google Search.png

If Putin stands by his stated ambitions he will next go for the Baltic States.

If NATO manages to wriggle out of fighting him there he will go after,  from his allied Byelorussian base, the Czarist Russian Empire possessions in Poland........

766009912_Screenshot2022-02-26at14-18-03Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_in_1772PNG(PNGImage18941552pixels)Scaled(39).png.d6dc1021e4299840cc194a908de3301e.png

We're not just reading about History now.......witnessing

it.

Bingo!

Despite the “success” that the Ukrainian forces have known during the last 2 days I am starting to worry.  As the many photos/videos and reports coming out of Ukraine show Russia first sends young soldiers who are no more than 25 years old.  Wait until Kadyrov's barbarians arrive soon... it's going to be hell. 

Edited by shocky2012
Sorry

1 hour ago, shocky2012 said:

reports coming out of Ukraine show Russia first sends young soldiers who are no more than 25 years old. 

And according to reports today, a weeping, captured Russian soldier says he wasn't aware they were attacking Ukraine, he thought they were still on exercises. Sounds about right, it seems many Russians regard Ukranians as their brothers.  No doubt Putin will have told the more experienced troops that Ukraine has been shelling Russia.

• Like 1

@webfact

"Few could pick Ukraine out on a map, even if they could locate Europe!"

You must be Murican ... which only can find USA on the map (if it has names on the map ) . I am very sure by far most ( i should say all , but i know young people are grown up by internet and school systems don't mean anything anymore ) do know exactly where Ukraine is . Ukraine isn't Montenegro ( no offense ) ,it is the biggest country of Europe and bordering with Russia , anybody who ever looked at a map should be able to find it in seconds .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Your question is ridiculous. Any real business person knows that the moment someone steps into the business, he's a customer and customers are Kings! It doesn't matter his/her nationality! 

I'd say that is a wonderful piece of totally unreasoned <deleted>.

you might als worry about people who boycott your business because you support Russia.

Edited by Thunglom

8 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

A local Pattaya woman is from Donbass and she assures me that this area welcomes the Russians. They are currently being abused by neo-Nazis. Comments?

...comments?--you wanna argue with woman?

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Shame that all the UK has as a leader is a "Pound Shop" Churchill........more worried about upsetting Russian donors to the Tory party than peace in Europe.

And as for SWIFT, the US and the EU will not suspend Russia, so he knows he is free to bang on about it to make it look like he gives a fig.

You're wrong informed, the US are in favour and at present in the EU only Germany is opposing for the time being.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The world needs to react to Putin and his madness but not by attacking Russians. With a weak and uncaring  President in the WH who still imports oil from Russia instead on opening the drilling rights in the USA so America can supply oil and gas to America and most of the EU is be on me. Chia is very close to us and good friends with Russia, who knows what this partnership will lead to. To me the only thing that will stop Putin now  is the Russian people as they are not the cause of this invasion, it's Putin alone

Who is Chia ?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I know Russian tourists often have a bad reputation but after owning a restaurant and having many Russian customers I have somewhat changed my feelings towards them. I have had many extremely polite & friendly Russians and they also are not happy about what Putin is doing in the Ukraine. Today we have had 5 Russian couples and they all apologised for Putin and feel very shamed over his actions. Mostly they brought the subject up so they genuinely feel bad and rightly they should, its a terrible scenario which should never have happened!

One wonders about the Russians in Thailand and elsewhere. Will they have access to their funds in Russia? They must be very worried about being stranded without funds to support them.

10 hours ago, shocky2012 said:

Despite the “success” that the Ukrainian forces have known during the last 2 days I am starting to worry.  As the many photos/videos and reports coming out of Ukraine show Russia first sends young soldiers who are no more than 25 years old.  Wait until Kadyrov's barbarians arrive soon... it's going to be hell. 

25 yrs old! Wouldn't call that being a young soldier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Why? What say do they have in their unelected leaders actions? Much the same as in any country. They and their compatriots are just cannon fodder.

I would suggest you are wrong in your comment above regardig Putin being unelected,  After the resignation of Yeltsin, Putin became acting president, and less than four months later was elected outright to his first term as president and was reelected in 2004. As he was then constitutionally limited to two consecutive terms as president, Putin served as prime minister again from 2008 to 2012 under Dmitry Medvedev, and returned to the presidency in 2012 in an election marred by allegations of fraud and protests; he was reelected again in 2018'       Therefore I would further suggest the Russian people have it in their power to remove him. 

You can make allegations of fraud wherever, all you want, but until you are prepared to get off your backside and take to the street enmasse, bad/corrupt leaders will contine to thrive.   

I therefore repeat my comment 'Good, I sincerely hope so.   Not because I want to see the Russian people suffer but because the economic suffering they will undoubtedbly experience and revulsion of actions being taken their name, may persuade them that they can no longer tolerate this despot and they will do something to ensure he is removed.

I will not, however, be holding my breath! 

Interested nations should take lessons from the French!!

Edited by Havenstreet1940

7 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

You're wrong informed, the US are in favour and at present in the EU only Germany is opposing for the time being.

Swift blocking is now activated for Russian banks 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/26/ukraine-news-russia-war-invasion-nato-putin-zelensky-latest/

The US, Britain, Europe and Canada on Saturday moved to block 'certain' Russian banks from accessing the Swift international payment system as part of another round of sanctions against Moscow.

The measures, which will also include restrictions on the Russian central bank's international reserves, will be implemented in the coming days, the nations said in a joint statement

Edited by david555

After the swift blocking started strikes on the Ukraine oil facility's ......., this Putin shall go further until he personally is ....stopped   70 year old fanatic Stalinist  (assumed sick) .....a dangerous combination ....

Russia-Ukraine latest news: missile strikes on oil facilities reported as some Russian banks cut off from Swift system – live

Russia-Ukraine latest news: missile strikes on oil facilities reported as some Russian banks cut off from Swift system – live | World news | The Guardian

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

I would suggest you are wrong in your comment above regardig Putin being unelected,  After the resignation of Yeltsin, Putin became acting president, and less than four months later was elected outright to his first term as president and was reelected in 2004. As he was then constitutionally limited to two consecutive terms as president, Putin served as prime minister again from 2008 to 2012 under Dmitry Medvedev, and returned to the presidency in 2012 in an election marred by allegations of fraud and protests; he was reelected again in 2018'       Therefore I would further suggest the Russian people have it in their power to remove him. 

You can make allegations of fraud wherever, all you want, but until you are prepared to get off your backside and take to the street enmasse, bad/corrupt leaders will contine to thrive.   

I therefore repeat my comment 'Good, I sincerely hope so.   Not because I want to see the Russian people suffer but because the economic suffering they will undoubtedbly experience and revulsion of actions being taken their name, may persuade them that they can no longer tolerate this despot and they will do something to ensure he is removed.

I will not, however, be holding my breath! 

Interested nations should take lessons from the French!!

I think your 'marred by allegations of fraud and protests' statement. And   Putin making it impossible to remove him supports my opinion. Anyone attempting to appose him is quickly arrested and incarcerated.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I think your 'marred by allegations of fraud and protests' statement. And   Putin making it impossible to remove him supports my opinion. Anyone attempting to appose him is quickly arrested and incarcerated.   

And or poisoned / murdered.

• Like 1