Thailand May Need to Relay Exports to Russia Through Third Nations

webfact

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Perfect way to make the U.S. raise y our rating as a  trade partner.  

Thailand may gain money from the Russand but they will lose from the EU and N.A. market.

Do you expext the current Government to think that far ? No way

• Like 2

Back when Zimbabwe was called Rhodesia, and South Africa was employing a domestic policy known as Apartheid, what the OP is suggesting, (trans-shipping etc) was called "sanctions busting"!

If Thailand sows the wind, it may reap the whirlwind!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

You have got to be joking , exports thru 3rd parties! The rest of the world want NO War! Good luck getting paid!

There are Asian alternatives to the SWIFT system and Russia is a member of this system. This system is not so reliable as the SWIFT system and it will ask more time to transfer the money at a higher cost, but in the end it will get the job done. Question is if the Thai industry is willing to pay the higher costs and waiting longer for their money in those already troubled times.. https://www.asiamarkets.com/swift-alternative-china-can-provide-reprieve-from-financial-nuclear-option/

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, John Drake said:

Evading sanctions. Great way to get sanctions applied to Thailand in response.

There is no sanctions except for some high tech stuff which Thailand does neither manufacture nor export. It is to cut off Russia doing business with countries by removing certain banks from the SWIFT system. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

There is no sanctions except for some high tech stuff which Thailand does neither manufacture nor export. It is to cut off Russia doing business with countries by removing certain banks from the SWIFT system. 

Of course they're sanctions. The US and Europe are sanctioning Russia by kicking it off SWIFT. And Thailand is talking about evading it. Otherwise, why would Thailand need to go through third countries to ship things and receive them?

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, RocketDog said:

If I want somebody eliminated but don't want to do it myself because it's illegal, can I hire an assassin?

Do I still retain my honor?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

For Putin? I’ll do it

14 hours ago, portlandtree said:

For Putin? I’ll do it

I hear you, but it's possible that a greater shame will fall on Putin if he lives long enough to dig his hole deeper. Sometimes things work out better in unexpected ways.

My comment was about the Thai government using third parties to get shipments into Russia while trying to claim they are neutral.

Someone should explain to them that this is called 'sanctions busting', and in the current climate it will probably attract the anger of the US, UK, EU, Canada and Japan. Applying such harsh sanctions is not free of cost or pain for those wealthy nations, as we shall see with rising commodity prices and shortages, so for Thailand to actively support the vile Russian dictatorship against the interests of all of its friends in the West is playing with fire. I know most of the senior Thai politicians couldn't even find Ukraine on a map, but they can't be so stupid that they'd deliberately try to subvert the actions of their Western allies for the sake of selling some rambutans to the Russians. And that's ignoring the whole humanitarian issue of what's happening in Ukraine, which the Thai government seems more than happy to do. The longer this cabal of shrivelled old vampires is in power, the more sickening they become.

• Like 2