Bank Observations.

Fanshawe

Went to a certain big bank on South Pattaya rd yesterday at 8.30 am. Bank was closed and no inside lights on. Bank front doors had notices plastered all over the doors in Thai. Looks to my limited knowledge of reading Thai, that the bank will be closed all week. Employees were filing into the bank in casual clothes, no uniforms being worn anywhere. I tried to enter with them and was pushed back, by a plain clothes large guard and asked him in Thai what was going on. No answer. Then locked the door.

Anybody have experiences with banks in Pattaya being closed last Monday?

Maybe it is because of  Tues. 22 Feb, all banks were required to be BASEL 3 compliant.

Any thoughts on this matter.

Maybe they are doing an audit?

Some Thai banks are shuttering some branches. It's part of the retrenchment of all sorts of businesses for when Covid is declared endemic.

If you name the bank and location, nobody's going to sue you. Maybe someone who banks at that branch or does read Thai will have a better idea.

• Like 1

" Employees were filing into the bank in casual clothes, no uniforms being worn anywhere. I tried to enter with them and was pushed back, by a plain clothes large guard and asked him in Thai what was going on. No answer. Then locked the door. "

All this seems a bit suspicious.

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

All this seems a bit suspicious.

Why?

7 hours ago, Fanshawe said:

Bank front doors had notices plastered all over the doors in Thai.

Should it have been in English........:saai:

Cheaper for them for people to use on-line banking. 

They'll definitely be a thinning of branches in the coming years. 

Mall branches are the only profitable  brick and mortar  banks.

There's not much reason to go into a branch unless you need some obscure paperwork done or a loan.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Cheaper for them for people to use on-line banking. 

They'll definitely be a thinking of branches in the coming years. 

Mall branches are the only profitable  brick and mortar  banks.

I know we're talking about Pattaya but it is a shame. In my town we only have one branch of one bank and they now refuse to allow you to pay bills 'over the counter', referring you to their mobile APP services. Some time ago they installed a greater range of outside machines so we now have; ATM, CDM, Passbook update & VTM's. Closure seems inevitable unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

pay bills

You might try 7/11,Tescos,  Big C.

Lazada lets you pay bills from your home.   I just paid my electric bill.

It's not for everyone but that's just the sign of the times. 

We don't have any banks or even an ATM in our village.

Closest is 20 kilometers away. 

Sometimes I have to take my wife's mom to the agriculture bank.

She's like in there for an hour. 

There like molasis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

(...)

Some Thai banks are shuttering some branches. It's part of the retrenchment of all sorts of businesses for when Covid is declared endemic.

Went to a Bangkok Bank branch on Monday. Of 10 counters only 1 or 2 at a time manned. Had to wait almost two hours, as I needed a stamped receipt. Wonder, if Covid-19 or staff resignations are to blame. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

22 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You might try 7/11,Tescos,  Big C.

Lazada lets you pay bills from your home.   I just paid my electric bill.

It's not for everyone but that's just the sign of the times. 

We don't have any banks or even an ATM in our village.

Closest is 20 kilometers away. 

Sometimes I have to take my wife's mom to the agriculture bank.

She's like in there for an hour. 

There like molasis.

Thanks for the info, didn't know about Lazada offering such a facility. Not good for you that you can't draw cash without a 20km journey. As you say it is a sign of the times.

I recently had an issue with both online banking and app, this was with BKK bank.

Had bought a new phone so understand the setting up etc but took a long time to sort out in branch on phone to call centre, all my data was correct, passport number / address / cell number / ATM number and and PIN code, with all that it's normally a 5 minute fix.

I was a bit nervous tbh....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

There's not much reason to go into a branch unless you need some obscure paperwork done or a loan.

There are quite a few types of accounts that require you to pay a visit to transact...a FCD, or FD type. My only other reason is the annual bank letter from immigration, and the tax receipts. I actually never use Mall Branches, always seem to be queues and give an appearance of 'your time is of no consequence'.......

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I recently had an issue with both online banking and app, this was with BKK bank.

Had bought a new phone so understand the setting up etc but took a long time to sort out in branch on phone to call centre, all my data was correct, passport number / address / cell number / ATM number and and PIN code, with all that it's normally a 5 minute fix.

I was a bit nervous tbh....

Great you got yourself squared away. 

• Like 1