Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Thailand beginning to face financial transaction and travel problems due to sanctions, invasion

webfact

2 minutes ago, Lipboy said:

Lets all hope that Putin will be removed from Power soon as otherwise all over The World we will suffer the consequences of this one mad man’s action that he took so recklessly last week for many years to come. 

Regardless of anything, this is the best outcome at this point for Russians and the world. Right now, we're all staring down the barrel of something that makes the pandemic look like a warm-up event.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chang1 said:

Not much sympathy for the Russians but certainly the Ukrainians should be helped. 

I'm glad there are no Russians where I live as I would get in trouble for telling them what I think of their leader. 

I suspect that most of the Russians here, are here to escape said leader, or at least the prospect of conscription.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Oh yeah and they were just FLOODING INTO THE COUNTRY LMAO!!!  

Frankly, there will be no russian tourists now.  Not that they could even reasonably travel there over the last 2 years.  The ruble is now toilet paper.  

We live in very very very interesting times friends.

A friend.works at a 5 star resort on Phuket where vast majority guests are Russian! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

There was much Russian to be heard around Beach Road in Pattaya as recently as on week ago. The impression was that the Russians could well have been the major tourist community.

Agreed, i saw also more Russian Speaking Tourusts on Koh Larn

20 minutes ago, Lipboy said:

My very good friend Konstantin lives in Moscow with his wife, two sons and his Father in Law in a high rise Apartment block.

Unfortunately, Konstantin is the minority. Most are vodka-fuelled,  rude ****s who support this monster.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Karma80 said:

Regardless of anything, this is the best outcome at this point for Russians and the world. Right now, we're all staring down the barrel of something that makes the pandemic look like a warm-up event.

I think it is a storm in a teacup. 

From the 'live' blog from The Guardian.

"Russia president Vladimir Putin has signed a decree to prohibit Russians from leaving the country with more than $10,000 in foreign currency, Russia state media outlet TASS reports.

Citing the decree, the news agency reported:

The export of foreign currency cash and foreign currency instruments over $10,000 calculated based on the official exchange rate set by the Russian Central Bank on the day of export will be banned starting on March 2.”

The move is an attempt to “ensure Russia’s financial stability” according to a statement from the Kremlin press office.

It comes in response to the crippling sanctions western nations have imposed on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, garyk said:

Rumor is they are going to invade Jomtien! 

The Russians wouldn't have much chance against the hoards of Thai bar girls. ????

They would be running back to Mother Russia.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I’m a bit confused. I thought Russian banks are sanctioned not the Ukrainians. Why are the Ukrainians having money transaction problems? Enlighten me.

could be the Ukraine infrastructure is disturbed by the war going on on their country ..... same as their TV tower is bombed ...... did this never crossed your mind ?

Not banks blocked but severe disturbed probably ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I’m a bit confused. I thought Russian banks are sanctioned not the Ukrainians. Why are the Ukrainians having money transaction problems? Enlighten me.

I don't believe that they do have problems, other than not currently being able to return to Ukraine.   I guess they could fly to neighbouring countries such as Poland or Rumania, and make land crossings.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting. Are the soldiers held at gunpoint to join the army?

This is a war and drastic measures ensue. I urge all hotel owners and other business owners to ban Russians. 

The world is a little more complicated than that. 
Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I am thinking their own governments should provide return of their nationals.

We will see what happens when (and if) their money runs out and food, accommodation and flights home are not available to them. 

• Like 1

???? SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: A plunging rouble, flight cancellations and money-transfer difficulties are prompting Russian and European tourists to cancel trips to Thailand, a blow to the Southeast Asian nation’s tourism-revival efforts #Thailand

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3168884/ukraine-invasion-crashing-russian-rouble-sanctions-deal

5 hours ago, chang1 said:

Not much sympathy for the Russians but certainly the Ukrainians should be helped. 

I'm glad there are no Russians where I live as I would get in trouble for telling them what I think of their leader. 

I dont think you would have much of a problem , they aren't liking this either ....... Ive talked to a few of my Russian friends and they are not happy about this one bit ...

43 minutes ago, pagallim said:

From the 'live' blog from The Guardian.

"Russia president Vladimir Putin has signed a decree to prohibit Russians from leaving the country with more than $10,000 in foreign currency, Russia state media outlet TASS reports.

Citing the decree, the news agency reported:

The export of foreign currency cash and foreign currency instruments over $10,000 calculated based on the official exchange rate set by the Russian Central Bank on the day of export will be banned starting on March 2.”

The move is an attempt to “ensure Russia’s financial stability” according to a statement from the Kremlin press office.

It comes in response to the crippling sanctions western nations have imposed on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine."

Soon you need 100 Trillion rubble to buy one $

I bet there is already a private facebook page for thai women:

do not engage with Russians,, their money is worthless and assets frozen.
Solution: the indian billionaires are soon flying through the new bubble guppy.

• Haha 2

The Thai Gov't has been vague about this invasion so far, but the Ukrainians should be considered displaced/refugees now, and the russians? they are on their own as it is their own gov't that is causing them to have problems. but in Thailand? who knows how this will play out.

2 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I am against all wars. But I do think people should see both sides of the picture.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/

This explains part of Putin's accusations against the Ukrainian government, that of being a gang of neo-Nazis and drug addicts. Very peculiar accusations, especially since the Ukrainian president, Mr. Zelenski, is Jewish. But from this article, it seems that neo-Nazis are just about everywhere in the political apparatus and in the Ukrainian army and law enforcement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The Thai government does not do a great job of assisting its own citizens, the age pension is 600 baht/month at age 60. 800 if they live to 80. What makes you think they will be more generous with foreigners?

They may not have a choice, if they can't receive money from home and there are no flights back than they have to be more generous. Also if Thai's paid any or more tax in their younger years they would have a larger pension.