At the UN, Thailand votes to condemn Russia’s aggression in Ukraine

webfact

Whatever the reasons for the conflict the results seem clear.

Difficult to vote for a country especially when Tourism is the main source of income.

What it will mean in economic terms is unclear. I guess instead of 3 flights of Tourist planes from Russia to Nhatrang an increase to 6 or more is feasible.

The question is who gets more hurt here. 

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

I dont remember ever condemning birma's military coup. 
contrary to opposing civil war in birma, they do supply their army with supplies over the border and stand together with russian military counterparts on a defilade in Rangoon

You mean Myanmar of course?

3 hours ago, jvs said:

OK Thailand,now follow this up with actions!

Speak out against russia and for Ukraine,next condem any contact with russia and stop russian

tourists from coming here.

55555555 Don’t give Anutin a heart attack or a shower 55555

• Haha 1

"During the 11th Emergency Special Session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA), Thailand has joined 140 countries voting in favour of the resolution to condemn Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, while 5 voted against and 35 abstained."

Bravo, but another "flip flop" since yesterday:-

"The Thai government has reaffirmed Thailand’s neutrality in the Russia-Ukraine crisis. Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said during the discussion that Thailand’s long-standing relationship with Russia must be considered and that the Kingdom must walk carefully." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Well there goes the property market in Southern Phuket.  Nice that Thailand found its spine.  The ruble really will be rubble.

Thailand has not found its spine at last.

Words cost nothing, but if the UN as a Bloc decided to Sanction Russia, we would then be looking for those with a spine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Just as the speaker asked everyone to cast their vote Dr. Suriya Chindawongse's gf called and he fumbled slightly upon answering the call and pushed the yes button instead of the no button .....   :w00t:

Did you mean his mia noi, or gf?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Speak out against russia and for Ukraine,next condem any contact with russia and stop russian

Why stop Russian tourists from coming here?

Personally I have not got a a lot of time for them, and I would not miss them at all, but when they are here, they spend their roubles here, and Thailand needs tourist income of all currencies!

And from what I have heard/seen, the vast majority of Russians don't agree with Putin's actions, but a bit like here, their "hands are tied" in terms of making any protests about it!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Does this pretty much sum up Thailand...3 very different positions within 48 hours

Screenshot_20220303-154841_Samsung Internet.jpg

No , if you're sat at home and read the stories it may seem that way . 

But if you think about it , The Thai Government didn't want to get involved in BKK Thailand . 

Thay didnt want to make a stand alone statement in BKK and get involved . 

But whilst at a U.N meeting , they were asked to vote on something .

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha stressed during a meeting this week that Thailand will retain its neutrality in the Russia-Ukraine crisis. He also advised participants to bear in mind Thailand’s long-standing relationship with Russia and to tread carefully.

I'm sorry, you either agree with Putin sending in 150,000 troops, and starting a war, or you don't. The old saying is "you can't have your Som Tom and eat it too."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noah K said:

I'm sorry, you either agree with Putin sending in 150,000 troops, and starting a war, or you don't. The old saying is "you can't have your Som Tom and eat it too."

Although you can choose to keep your opinion to yourself and decide not to get involved 

35 Abstentions, (including China) - who most I guess would like to say, Yes, but would rather sit on the fence.

I believe that Thailand, on balance has done the right thing, agreeing with the vast majority of other countries.

While some on this forum saying they believed staying neutral was about the consequences for the economy, bad though it is already re covid, I think most of the world will suffer economic downturn, increased prices of essentials and other nasty possibilities, meaning in my opinion, Thailand will be less worse off than the West.

Goodness knows how long this war will go on before some difficult decisions will need to be made about the conflict itself.

As a matter of interest, a lovely young couple (Marta and Ilya) that stayed with us at exactly this time two years ago are from Kiev, Ukraine. They were planning to get married this year but I fear that both of them may be fighting for their country. I have been unable to reach them!

This whole situation I find upsetting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It takes a Russian businessman to seek Putin's demise as a continuing war criminal, while the USA, UK, and EURO countries sit on their butts thinking sanctions will suffice in the long term. Yes, mates, but by dilly-dawdling along, Putin would be still free to launch a freaking nuclear war.    

Yes, you would think they would actively ship weapons for the Ukrainians ... wait, what?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes, words are meaningless. Now join the EU and others in banning Russian planes. That won't happen of course, as then 20 million Russian tourists won't be able to arrive to make TAT's figures come true. Or perhaps TAT meant 20,000. We know how they are with figures.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sambum said:

Why stop Russian tourists from coming here?

Personally I have not got a a lot of time for them, and I would not miss them at all, but when they are here, they spend their roubles here, and Thailand needs tourist income of all currencies!

And from what I have heard/seen, the vast majority of Russians don't agree with Putin's actions, but a bit like here, their "hands are tied" in terms of making any protests about it!

The more that ordinary Russians are made to suffer because of their leader's actions then the more likely it is he'll be removed. That's the theory anyway. The reality, as Hitler proved, is that he will just carry on with what he's doing, under the ill-disguised threat of nuclear action, until someone plants a bomb under his chair. As Hitler discovered. Someone will take him out eventually, as that will be the only way to stop him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That was an accusation made by the Russian Embassy in India and reported by TASS news, try sourcing more credible accounts such as the Indian Foreign Ministry Spokesman

India says no report of its students being held hostage in Ukraine

"We note that with the cooperation of the Ukrainian authorities, many students have left Kharkiv yesterday," Indian foreign ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said in a statement.

"We have not received any reports of any hostage situation regarding any student."

Ukraine has also denied holding back Indian citizens.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-says-no-report-its-students-being-held-hostage-ukraine-2022-03-03/

In other words it's a load of old fanny. Usual BS from Russian propaganda and fools on here such it all up.

Edited by DaveE13
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Well, but India and China abstained. Just these two countries is more than half of the earth population.

India 1.4bn

China 1.45bn

World - 7.93bn

35% is not 'over half'. Stop inventing figures.

• Like 2