Blood and bone fertilizer

djayz

Best Garden State on FB. 

No photo description available.

High quality bone meal. 5 kg 150 baht or truck-loads. I haven't used their blood meal. 5kg 500 baht,

Not Korat. Nakhon Pathom or best to order online.  

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:48 PM, kickstart said:

https://shopee.co.th/-250g-650g-1500g-Bone-Meal-Organic-Fertiliser-Fertilizer-i.498678912.11522423237

Not quite what the OP was looking for ,would be a good sauce of Ca.

Could not find Blood and Bone fertilizer in LOS. 

Bone meal is used primarily as a Phosphorus supplement, not as dependent on acid pH for the P availability as is rock phosphate. Slow release Calcium goes along with the bones. Bone meal is often adulterated with fillers and chemicals, so finding a higher quality pure product like Best Garden State offers is an advantage. (No I'm not on their payroll.)

Blood meal is not as easy to find in Thailand because its not a customary soil amendment and most of the slaughterhouse blood goes for people food.

Blood meal is used as a quick release high N amendment in organic fertilizers, much like bat guano, usually  9 to 12% N, some blood meal is 15%N.  This can be combined with slow release feather meal and/or seed meal in correct proportions. 

Its always best to use soil amendments based on a laboratory soil analysis and a prescription written by an agronomist.  You can throw things out of balance with guess work and heresay. 

Its even better to get on board with the latest soil-biology based science and practices being promoted by the Soil Food Web School and Regenerative Agriculture movement. There is a tremendous wealth of information out in the last 10 years that makes obsolete much of what we learned and used before that for soil and plant management. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drtreelove said:

Bone meal is used primarily as a Phosphorus supplement, not as dependent on acid pH for the P availability as is rock phosphate. Slow release Calcium goes along with the bones. Bone meal is often adulterated with fillers and chemicals, so finding a higher quality pure product like Best Garden State offers is an advantage. (No I'm not on their payroll.)

Something I should have said about bone meal and its high Ph containt.

Here in Thailand it is one of the main sauces of Ca and Ph in cattle minerals  ,could not say if it has been adulterated.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, kickstart said:

Something I should have said about bone meal and its high Ph containt.

Here in Thailand it is one of the main sauces of Ca and Ph in cattle minerals  ,could not say if it has been adulterated.

So "grass fed" is not possible with commercial dairy production?  And herbivores are being made into bone-munching carnivores.  Isn't that some kind of adulteration in itself? 

BTW, off topic. Blood and Bone reminds me of the martial arts movie by that name, Michael Jai White at his best, drawing blood and breaking bones. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, drtreelove said:

So "grass fed" is not possible with commercial dairy production?  And herbivores are being made into bone-munching carnivores.  Isn't that some kind of adulteration in itself? 

No,most dairy cows are feed on the American system ,in the yards all the time with feed brought to them with Thai dairy cows ,they main sauce of roughage is rice straw ,which as a feed is not good ,no protein no energy ,and for this article it is  very low in all minerals and vitamins .most cows do not get  feed any grass some farms are only a few rie with no land to grow any grass .

And as has been said before on this forum, Thai soils are low in all the main minerals ,

,so any roughage will be short of minerals ,so mineral supplements are almost essential 

All Thai dairy cows have a big infertility problem ,the diet being on a negative energy balance, a lot of cows are minerals deficient, only last week I was helping out a neighbour one of his cows calved and was suffering from Mg Magnesium deficiency  something I have seen here a few times but never in the UK ,(In the UK Mg deficiency is caused by cows eating young fresh grass ,this cow was on a rice straw diet ).

As bone meal is produced in the country it is  used in cattle minerals ,I would say some cattle minerals will be imported ,mainly by the  big feed companies for they own use .

If you sat down with a large coffee and Mr Google in times past, bone meal would have been feed to cattle in your own country .

• Thanks 2

I visited a few small scale dairy farms in CM area......it was enough to make me stop drinking milk.

Basically cows kept in near darkness up to their heels in their own <deleted> and tethered on short ropes to metal poles.  Many had deformed legs, were lame, skin and bones. 

Never even able to walk a short distance in their miserable lives. 

• Like 1