Proof of onward travel

Thanks in advance, trying to get a clear answer before I book my flight.

I am going to Thailand in April or May under the "test and go". I intend to stay about 50 days.

I will get 30 days on visa exempt and I will extend by 30 more days at immigration.

On every embassy website I look it says I need proof of onward travel or return ticket within 30 days.

Also on finnair website it says same.

But my ticket will be 50 days later. 

The airline will know that also at check in as they will see my return date.

What do other people do in this situation?

I attempted to apply for a tourist visa online but they want 13 documents such as who I intend to stay with and letters from employers and it takes up to a month.

Any issue with proof of onward travel will be with the airline taking you into Thailand. They will want to see that you have an onward ticket complying with your visa/exempt priveleges otherwise they "may" deny you boarding. Never once, on well over a hundred entries into Thailand, have I ever been asked at immigration for proof of onward travel. Airlines on the other hand have asked to see it at check-in on a number of occassions. Buy a ticket that can be changed at little/no extra cost. Alternatively buy a cheap one-way ticket out of Thailand or get a Visa for your entire length of stay.

• Like 1

If I book a return flight with the same airline for 50 days later they will know the temporary ticket not real. 

To buy 2 separate tickets cost an extra 250euro plus the temporary ticket. 

So basically the maximum people can go to Thailand for without a work or marriage visa is 29 days.

I tried to get a  tourist e-visa online. They are asking for things like declaration from employers, financial statements, names and letters of the people I intend to stay with.

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Never once, on well over a hundred entries into Thailand, have I ever been asked at immigration for proof of onward travel.

Well now, I've never been asked for proof that I had an onward ticket by immigration. But I've certainly had to fill out a TM-6 every time I've arrived, and there's a blank for departing flight number, on the "departure" side.  

A couple of times (pre-Covid era) I've written "by car" in that blank, and it's never been questioned. (But I almost hope that wouldn't've worked when all the land borders were closed! 555)

After all, just because you're flying in...... that doesn't mean your under any obligation to fly back out! 

Twice I had problems with an airline.

The first time, when all this was new to me, Delta Airlines basically made me buy an outbound ticket before they'd let me board. I had the cash in my pocket, so I bought a $1,600, fully-refundable, one-way "return"..... and that got me on the plane. Once in Bangkok, I went post-haste to Delta's office, canceled the ticket, and took my "full refund." 555

The second time, I asked for a supervisor. When the supervisor arrived at the counter, I showed her a (dummy) online reservation for a hotel in Vientiane, Laos, for 30 days after my arrival. I explained I'd be going there by train and taxi, not flying. This showed her that although I had no "onward flight," I could document an alternative plan for vacating the country. She waived the "onward flight" requirement that was apparently locking up the computer (Delta Airlines, again!) 555

(Never tried Delta again!) 

So, while immigration is certainly asking for your "onward flight" information on arrival, on the TM-6, they don't seem to be very hard-nosed about it. Obviously, they recognize there are MANY OTHER WAYS one can leave the country, in a legal and timely manner. 555

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Well now, I've never been asked for proof that I had an onward ticket by immigration. But I've certainly had to fill out a TM-6 every time I've arrived, and there's a blank for departing flight number, on the "departure" side.  

A couple of times (pre-Covid era) I've written "by car" in that blank, and it's never been questioned. (But I almost hope that wouldn't've worked when all the land borders were closed! 555)

After all, just because you're flying in...... that doesn't mean your under any obligation to fly back out! 

Twice I had problems with an airline.

The first time, when all this was new to me, Delta Airlines basically made me buy an outbound ticket before they'd let me board. I had the cash in my pocket, so I bought a $1,600, fully-refundable, one-way "return"..... and that got me on the plane. Once in Bangkok, I went post-haste to Delta's office, canceled the ticket, and took my "full refund." 555

The second time, I asked for a supervisor. When the supervisor arrived at the counter, I showed her a (dummy) online reservation for a hotel in Vientiane, Laos, for 30 days after my arrival. I explained I'd be going there by train and taxi, not flying. This showed her that although I had no "onward flight," I could document an alternative plan for vacating the country. She waived the "onward flight" requirement that was apparently locking up the computer (Delta Airlines, again!) 555

(Never tried Delta again!) 

So, while immigration is certainly asking for your "onward flight" information on arrival, on the TM-6, they don't seem to be very hard-nosed about it. Obviously, they recognize there are MANY OTHER WAYS one can leave the country, in a legal and timely manner. 555

Cheers!

Actually that departure portion of the TM6 is irrelevant until actual departure time. My son and ex wife (Thai passports) used to have to fill out a fresh TM6 in reverse every departure from Thailand. I usually leave blank until departure too (although on Non-O) extension. Never questioned these days.

I have been coming here yearly since 2008 --never had a visa,  always ONE way tix

Never have i been asked---I even DID buy one this time due to the covid thai pass BS

No one asked to see it...so a dozen visits -- no visa--one way...never asked to see onward tix....get 30 days stamp at BKK and extend again ..just MY exps coming from the US

Sidenote when they look for a visa at airport I always say im backpacking and leaving thailand after my 30 day stamp

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

I've never filled out the departure side of the TM6 until I actually departed.  For most of my Thailand stay, I was on an extension based on working with a BOI WP.  But even after my WP was over, I was in the habit of leaving the departure side blank and that never caused an issue.

Edit:  One time, I was asked to fill in my name by the arrival IO, but nothing else on the departure side.  And that was just once. YMMV.

Edited by impulse

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very poor advice (if any is being offered). 

On many trips my ‘Visa’ is double checked when checking in at the departing country. 

I just flew to Thailand last week, my existing visa runs out in Mid-March (I was getting new Thai Elite Visa attached upon arrival). 

The Air-line check-in commented that I could only stay until the expiry data of my Visa (irrelevant for me anyway) - But, if my Thai Elite Visa had expired I would not have been permitted to board without an onward ticket or another visa regardless of the fact that I was getting a new visa affixed upon arrival.

Thus: Airlines DO check, they ARE accountable and in MANY cases will not permit you to check in without either a Visa or and onward flight. 

just my exps as ive done it yearly since 2008..always without visa and always one way=so it is possible---we are all adults and make choices daily----just sharing MY own exps on it

I trust the OP can make big boy decisions, .im not telling anyone to copy me...life is risk

As per your CAPS and BOLD font...You are incorrect as I am proof of doing it--if you

woud like me to bring me 3 passports--(exp'd and new) to prove this im all for it...

I never said to take my advice but I have proved your claims to be patently false..

Traveled out of LAX each time--US passport  12 times.....first trip was may 2008

Rinse--lather--repeat....dont hate the player--hate the game--blame the airlines...

32 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Traveled out of LAX each time--US passport  12 times.....first trip was may 2008

What's exactly your point.

It's always stated as a caveat that some airlines are more relaxed with requirement of onward flight.

Experiences range for yours to the complete opposite. 

"Make big boy decisions".

What a hero remark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

just my exps as ive done it yearly since 2008..always without visa and always one way=so it is possible---we are all adults and make choices daily----just sharing MY own exps on it

I trust the OP can make big boy decisions, .im not telling anyone to copy me...life is risk

As per your CAPS and BOLD font...You are incorrect as I am proof of doing it--if you

woud like me to bring me 3 passports--(exp'd and new) to prove this im all for it...

I never said to take my advice but I have proved your claims to be patently false..

Rinse--lather--repeat....dont hate the player--hate the game--blame the airlines...

I have done the same. From 2006 until 2020 i had around 100 visa exempt entries. Almost all of them on one way tickets. Probably from 20 or so different countries.

I have a stack of passports to prove it. I was stopped twice, and dealt with the situations there and then. I suspect this might be a bigger problem when flying from the UK? More specifically Heathrow? Just lines up with my personal experience and what i have read over the years.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Your experience is not the experience of many others and presents a flawed example of entry into Thailand that is highly likely to trip him up at the first step at airline check-in.

Good - and those decisions should be to ignore your example. 

As per your CAPS and BOLD font...You are incorrect as I am proof of doing it-

No... you are proof that someone says they can do it. I’m not calling you a liar, I’m calling you ‘lucky’.

-if you woud like me to bring me 3 passports--(exp'd and new) to prove this im all for it...

Your passport proves nothing and I’ve been doing it for longer, which also proves nothing. 

In correct - my claims are fact - again in bold for you. 

Airlines DO check (that you have a valid visa or onward ticket)

they ARE accountable (for your return, which is why they check)

in MANY cases (airlines) will not permit you to check in without either a Visa or and onward flight. 

This only suggests LAX staff are lazy !!!.....   fly in from Singapore or UK Visa exempt without an onward ticket and see what happens. 

Rinse--lather--repeat....don't hate the player--hate the game--blame the airlines...

Or hate the guy who said it’ll be fine because he got lucky !!!.... 

You are wrong. Bold again for you. 

Airlines DO check (visas or for onward tickets) they (airlines) ARE accountable (for the costs of your return flight if you don’t have one and immigration stop you which is why they check) and in MANY cases airlines will not permit you to check in without either a Visa or and onward flight. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I suspect this might be a bigger problem when flying from the UK? More specifically Heathrow? Just lines up with my personal experience and what i have read over the years.

From Singapore (all airlines) check a lot. 

From Malaysia check a lot.

From UK (all airports) check a lot.

Middle East Airlines (Qatar / Emirates / Etihad) check a lot.

Perhaps the US airlines check less as they are not the final carrier into Thailand. 

I’m re-entering Thailand about 6-8 times per year over +20 years... (less since covid). 

Flying in just last week my visa status was checked upon check in (my existing visa expiring on March 22nd) the airline staff told me I was lucky as my visa was nearly expired and I nearly had to have an onward ticket (irrelevant as I was getting a new Thai Elite Visa sticker on arrival - however, that would not have met the requirements - Visa or onward flight). 

The ONLY accurate advice to give someone who is traveling in Visa exempt is to have an onward ticket or ready means to ‘get an onward ticket quickly’ if not having one is a problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
12 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I have done the same. From 2006 until 2020 i had around 100 visa exempt entries

Try flying from (for example) Saigon to Thailand visa exempt without onward flight 

These guys are applying the ‘seat belt theory’.....  I’ve never needed one because I’ve never had an accident !!!!....   

Their logic is broken....  The suggestion or implication that ‘I was ok so you will be’ is that of a fundamentally flawed logic set when dealing with specific entry requirements and regulations which if not met could cause significant hassle. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Try flying from (for example) Saigon to Thailand visa exempt without onward flight 

Actually i did exactly that in 2018. Worked fine. Maybe it depends on what passport you have? I dont know. Im just saying i almost never had any problmes with this. Im not making things up.

7 minutes ago, MajorTom said:
14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Actually i did exactly that in 2018. Worked fine. Maybe it depends on what passport you have? I dont know. Im just saying i almost never had any problmes with this. Im not making things up.

There is no suggestion that you or SRB are lying...  but the suggestion is that you have been fortunate not to get caught out by the regulations when there are first hand examples of others being checked. 

Thus... in this thread alone, the visa status / onward ticket of some are checked, and for others, not checked.... 

With this knowledge...  would you have a ‘plan b’ in your back pocket next time you wish enter Thailand Visa Exempt without an onward ticket ??

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MajorTom said:

Interesting.

I pre covid flew return DMK to Saigon every month for years.

The AirAsia check in at Saigon go straight into my pp to look for visa or reentry permit. 

Twice (when not busy desk) I have asked check in lady what they are looking for. The answer is what I mentioned above.

I always have a paperclip to page with my reentry permit.

Anyway over these reoccurring debates on this topic. 

I prefer post bullet proof stuff rather than individual experiences.

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I prefer post bullet proof stuff rather than individual experiences.

Exactly this.... 

its like suggesting.... I rode down sukhumvit road in 2018 without a helmet and the police didn’t stop me, only the consequence of poor anecdote in this case is the potential refusal to travel until proof of an onward ticket is shown (or a valid visa). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

With this knowledge...  would you have a ‘plan b’ in your back pocket next time you wish enter Thailand Visa Exempt without an onward ticket ?

I always suggest that anyone trying visa exempt without onward flight to have internet availability on cell so they can step away from check in and book cheapest throw away flight with confirmed payment. 

Simple but you do need internet. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:
6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

With this knowledge...  would you have a ‘plan b’ in your back pocket next time you wish enter Thailand Visa Exempt without an onward ticket ?

I always suggest that anyone trying visa exempt without onward flight to have internet availability on cell so they can step away from check in and book cheapest throw away flight with confirmed payment. 

Simple but you do need internet. 

And 20,000 baht in cash currency equivalent.... 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

These guys are applying the ‘seat belt theory’.....  I’ve never needed one because I’ve never had an accident !!!!....   

Their logic is broken....  The suggestion or implication that ‘I was ok so you will be’ is that of a fundamentally flawed logic set when dealing with specific entry requirements and regulations which if not met could cause significant hassle. 

Well. If all hell breaks loose and you are denied boarding: That "seatbelt" can be put on by booking a ticket there and then. Takes you 5 minutes on a smartphone. Problem solved.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From Singapore (all airlines) check a lot. 

From Malaysia check a lot.

From UK (all airports) check a lot.

Middle East Airlines (Qatar / Emirates / Etihad) check a lot.

Perhaps the US airlines check less as they are not the final carrier into Thailand. 

Singapore: I have done this probably a dozen times. I remember they asked me sometimes about onward ticket. I just said i didn't have one as i live in Thailand. Then they checked me in.

Malaysia: Several times i have either returned on a round trip booked from Thailand or a one way ticket. Never had a problem.

UK: Stopped in London once. I actually had a brand new visa at the time from the Hull consulate, so i was OK.

I used to fly a lot from Aberdeen to Thailand with KLM. Always one way tickets. Never had a question there. (20+ times)

Middle East: I had a gold card with Emirates for a few years. Must have done 30+ one way flights to Thailand. Never asked anything about onward tickets.

20 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Well. If all hell breaks loose and you are denied boarding: That "seatbelt" can be put on by booking a ticket there and then. Takes you 5 minutes on a smartphone. Problem solved.

That is true.... , but in the likelihood based on my experience and the unlikelihood based on your experience that the Op is asked for an onward ticket upon airline check-in he can go online and book one (bit of a hassle though).  

So...  Is it a requirement or not ? - I think you now know the answer.... Yes it is, you have just been fortunate not to get caught out by not meeting that requirement or you are stretching your facts with the amount of visa free entries you’ve made. 

Singapore: I have done this probably a dozen times. I remember they asked me sometimes about onward ticket. I just said i didn't have one as i live in Thailand. Then they checked me in.

So they did check...  and you got lucky. 

Malaysia: Several times i have either returned on a round trip booked from Thailand or a one way ticket. Never had a problem.

You were entering Thailand so regularly visa exempt, and never faced an issue with that ??

You either had a visa or you got lucky. 

UK: Stopped in London once. I actually had a brand new visa at the time from the Hull consulate, so i was OK.

I used to fly a lot from Aberdeen to Thailand with KLM. Always one way tickets. Never had a question there. (20+ times)

You had visas, or not ?....    Are all of these entries you were returning to Thailand on really visa exempt?

Middle East: I had a gold card with Emirates for a few years. Must have done 30+ one way flights to Thailand. Never asked anything about onward tickets.

Again... really visa exempt ????

Because, with ALL of this visa exempt travel into Thailand you are one extremely lucky individual not to face entry issues - so many people attempting many re-entries visa exempt being rejected for lack of a visa. 

You are just one extremely lucky guy it seems.... :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:29 PM, Leon1980 said:

If I book a return flight with the same airline for 50 days later they will know the temporary ticket not real. 

Why?  Could you not just say that you're flying into Thailand and then flying out on the temporary ticket to somewhere else before returning to Thailand some days later?  That's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why you have a return ticket that is 50 days after your original flight.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So...  Is it a requirement or not ?

You had visas, or not ?....    Are all of these entries you were returning to Thailand on really visa exempt?

Its getting complicated here with all this multi quoting. But yes: I would say more than 95% of all those trips were on visa exempt.

One exception was the flight i was questioned at London Heathrow. I had just got a visa then.

Since they stopped the easy way of getting multiple Non O's from the Hull consulate in 2010 or 2011, I have had very few visas.

I know its a requirement. But in my experience almost never enforced. And if it is, I can handle it.

3 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Why?  Could you not just say that you're flying into Thailand and then flying out on the temporary ticket to somewhere else before returning to Thailand some days later?  That's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why you have a return ticket that is 50 days after your original flight.

Of course he could.....   present the ‘temporary’ ticket then... (its a box ticking exercise).