Thai tourism emphasises its neutrality in the Ukraine war, calls for a review of payment systems

webfact

The position of the Thai government to be neutral is like a message: "Thailand does't care about the enormous suffering of the attacked people of Ukraine. We go on as if nothing has happened. We only think about our income from the Russian tourists". I consider this as a cowardly and greedy behavior. Imagine that Thailand was hit by a powerful nation and was bombed and tanks shooting around and no one would realy condemn or do anything to the agressor. How would Thai people feel then?

1024x576a.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Oh no, it's been some time since the old " If you don't like it go home" was used. But hey if that's all you have then I guess maybe it's not so bad here, or we shall see what a semi neutral nation brings to its citizens.

I'll just put this out. I like you as a poster, I liked your contributions during covid, but like most westerners you are too involved into politics and see everything as black and white. 

Just look at the pileup of hate towards Russian citizens lately. Just like Russian propaganda, I can assure you that the West is doing the part 

Facebook temporarily allows posts on Ukraine war calling for violence against 'Russian invaders'

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/10/tech/facebook-instagram-russians/index.html

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I'll just put this out. I like you as a poster, I liked your contributions during covid, but like most westerners you are too involved into politics and see everything as black and white. 

Just look at the pileup of hate towards Russian citizens lately. Just like Russian propaganda, I can assure you that the West is doing the part 

Facebook temporarily allows posts on Ukraine war calling for violence against 'Russian invaders'

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/10/tech/facebook-instagram-russians/index.html

How many Westerners here listen to the Thai national news channels? They'd get a better understanding if they stopped listening to the biased CNN/BBC, etc. 

I must admit I let my emotions get the better of me when I heard all this 'poor Ukraine' US propaganda, but am starting to see the light.

How many sheep stick a picture of the Ukraine flag, like they did 'I have been vaccinated' on Facebook and forums. 

I thought 'great' lets sanction everyone, until it happened to Roman Abramovich, just because he owns a football team I like.  It's hard to be really neutral. 

Edited by Neeranam

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

So Thailand wants to help Russians circumvent western sanctions, huh.

they were put in place for a reason and that reason is readily available to be seen in the images of war shown in every available media source….outside of Russia.

i guess Thailand stands with Russia, not Ukraine. Serves the country right if it gets slapped with secondary sanctions

Maybe it's time for all Russians, both good and bad, currently dodging the bullet in Phuket and elsewhere to bite the bullet instead and do what the Ukrainians, both good and bad are doing. Go home and fight for what you truly believe in and not what some autocratic megalomaniac tells you.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Oh no, it's been some time since the old " If you don't like it go home" was used. But hey if that's all you have then I guess maybe it's not so bad here, or we shall see what a semi neutral nation brings to its citizens.

The same thing as a semi hard-on gets you.

Disappointment.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How many Westerners here listen to the Thai national news channels? They'd get a better understanding if they stopped listening to the biased CNN/BBC, etc. 

I must admit I let my emotions get the better of me when I heard all this 'poor Ukraine' US propaganda, but am starting to see the light.

How many sheep stick a picture of the Ukraine flag, like they did 'I have been vaccinated' on Facebook and forums. 

Wow, you have bought into the misinformation. I wish the Thai news and read the papers as well. I have never observed what you seem to observe.....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Well good old Thailand their Tourist bosses holding a International Travel and Tourism Exhibition in Moscow March 15th-17th 

While most countries are pulling out their Businesses 

Just shows they put more importance  on the Tourist ????

Than people dieing in the Ukraine includes both sides 

Enough said ????

It could be that Thailand has just shot itself in the foot by its so called neutrality and the encouragement of Russian tourists because when other western friendly countries become aware of the event of Thailand's  close communist associations  there may well be a lack of the free world tourists . Can you imagine sharing a hotel with a mass of misinformed Russians ? There is only one way that Russian tourists will be able to afford to travel and that is if the ruble and economy are supported  by the communist clans .  Some interesting times ahead I think .  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

Okay right, USA is bad and evil. Imagine what the world would be like without the US involvement in world affairs. I suppose you'd be under the oppression of a Chinese, German or Russian dictator and would not have the opportunity to freely express your concerns here without risking execution. 

Sure the US has made bad calls and probably will again. Though by far, the US has lifted most of the world out of poverty and has been the leader in advance technologies and not the to mention basic human rights. 

So to the ignorant USA haters...you simply have no idea. 

I am not an USA hater but give some reflection, like i said before my country has done and is still doing very bad things too.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Perhaps you missed a history lesson or two, but there is a little thing all of these relatively new NATO members have in common, and it is the thing that motivated them to seek membership.

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Poland, the former nations that were Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria.

What could it be that prompted them to seek NATO membership?  Hmmmmm ???????

Some more history for you, when Ukraine and Russia decided to part, one of the promises made was that Ukraine would never be a part of Nato. Ukraine decided to dump that promise.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, cliobkk said:

can do .... all transaction will be in Rubles only....or Ukrainian Hryvnias...

I do have empathy for the Russian and Ukrainian tourists and non tourist stranded around the world, not only those in Thailand....

But  to state that being Neutral.... entitles to anything.... hmmm...

anyway Asean Now give , or can we see , the official quote from TAT about "Neutrality...." if none given... : bad reporting

Exactly - the Russian rouble has lost 40% of its value since the beginning of this year. In addition with the the increased aviation fuel costs, few Russian tourists are likely to come here. The really wealthy ones will be wondering where they can find their super-yachts. And TAT can forget about Ukrainian tourists - they are too busy fighting for their lives and their homeland to think about holidays in Phuket.

• Like 1

As long as there is money to be made….terrible TAT is going to Moscow to promote tourism….is it smart to sell it wares to a country heading for financial disaster?

great opportunity to rid the Russian mafia from thailand 

Thailand gov has a zero moral compass…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I never said not to be black or white.

Nothing wrong with comparisons -  it's OK for England to invade 117 countries but not for Russia?

It's OK for the US to invade Iraq and kill innocent civilians?

I do not condone what Russia are doing, but frankly it has nothing to do with Thailand, or me.

Put things into perspective and don't fall for the propaganda. Don't forget what Bush/Blair did, and Biden has the nerve to criticize Putin! Did Thailand remain neutral there? Comparisons are good.

The topic though is this particular situation. I was against the Iraq war as I was with this war. It just seems you criticise America but, though you are not condoning Russia, you seem hesitant to criticise them, and refer to some  propaganda, or other. It's not that hard to say Russia started a war with Ukraine, leading to lots of unnecessary deaths, and it is wrong.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pomchop said:

Wow.  Not a good look for TAT folks to fly off on a junket to Moscow in the guise of a trade show while the rest of the world rightfully is pulling out all the stops to distance themselves from the new Hitler wannabe.

Has to be one of the dumbest decisions by a tourism department EVER.

yes i thought that.. while the world is breaking its Ba##s to try to end this thailand ...Quote drumming up tourism for russian visitors...more Baht 

"Due to sanctions following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, both Visa and MasterCard have suspended operations in the country leading industry bosses in Thailand to call for greater access to non-western networks including the Chinese Union Pay service headquartered in Shanghai."

Thailand industry bosses trying to break sanctions! Democratic Western Nations, please note!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thai Buddhism is far from true Buddhism, and is centered around money instead of service to the community and its followers like in many of the other countries.  Where else can one become rich as a monk other than Thailand.

What about Christianity? Thou shall not kill, is one of the 10 commandments, the very basics of Christianity.

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The Swiss are not neutral now, and neither should we be. The Ukraine people are suffering everyday from Putin and we are worried about making a few extra dollars. Come on Thailand your better than this.

Unfortunately they are not.

TAT wake up the Russian currency is worthless any Russian with an ounce of sense is not going to be heading to Thailand in the past few days I’ve seen both Ukraine and Russian citizens who are either living here or are on holiday trying to sell stuff be it a watch or a pick up and it’s not going to get any better for them indeed I can only see it getting worse 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand sadly see payment system improvements as its priority rather than hey Russia needs to stop its invasion of a sovereign nation and condemn the killing of innocent people!!  I guess their stance on Myanmar is a good indication of their morals!!

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Actually, some time ago the Facebook banned the Azov Battalion of UA from posting because of their openly neo-Nazi character. Similarly, also other western media had not glorified these far-right militia.   

But later and currently they have been included in the govt militia, so their true character has been now accepted.