Thai Ambassador to Russia Calls For Adjustments to Tourism Strategies to Better Suit Russian Travelers’ Needs

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Letseng said:

They can fly to Helsinki & get on the train home to Russia. Russians use the route to travel internationally. Demand for the service made the operator increase train frequency. No need to be stuck in Thailand.

Once upon a long time ago, when East was still East and West was West, I did that journey in the opposite direction. I was going to a party in northern Finland, and went by train from London via Moscow to buy some vodka (as one does). In the process I discovered Stolichnaya. Back then, around 1970, you couldn't choose a hotel to stay at in Moscow but were met at the station and taken to one.

Moscow 1.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Personally, I will not miss the Russians. I have friends who know younger Russians. And they say they are kind, friendly and progressive. I have no idea what percentage of the population these younger, more open minded people are, nor how representative they are of the Russian population. I have never met any friendly Russians. 

I agree, sadly. There is some hope. My industry has a lot of diverse nationalities and is made up of a majority younger generation. The few younger Russians I find to be no less objectionable to Americans in Phuket. Progressive, connected and worldly in the main. It makes sense, they were brought up in an era of pseudo-democracy. But, the older generation is another story entirely. Rude, unpleasant and in some cases very combative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thailand didn't ban Western tourists when our respective countries were bombing the heck out of Iraq and Afghanistan and killing thousands of innocent people so why should they discriminate against Russians?

Because Putin's approval ratings have gone up from 60% to 71 % since the Ukraine war.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Letseng said:

They can fly to Helsinki & get on the train home to Russia. Russians use the route to travel internationally. Demand for the service made the operator increase train frequency. No need to be stuck in Thailand.

There is the small problem of not being able to use a credit/debit card to pay for passage.. and no way to transfer cash..

BTW, I know a young Thai lady who lives in Bangkok and maintains a getaway rented room in Jomtien, who has responded to the Ukrainian Embassy's request for Thai people who have accommodation (free) available for stranded Ukrainians in Pattaya/Jomtien!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Letseng said:

They can fly to Helsinki & get on the train home to Russia.

That's exactly how I got into Russia, train from Helsinki. As we crossed the otherwise unmarked border the Russian officers came through the cars and checked (and probably stamped, would have to look at my old passport) passports. I still have a picture of a guard tower like you see in concentration camp movies, at the putative border.

• Like 1