llustration depicting trans discrimination goes viral

webfact

10 hours ago, mtraveler said:

You can't cry about the unfairness of inequality to White Males after they held the upper hand for hundreds of years.  Payback is, as they say, a female dog.  

My ancestors were raising turnips in Eastern Europe for those years.  What do I owe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mtraveler said:

So, 94% of the possible candidates don't need to apply.  And in the past, all the Blacks, women, and many other minorities (Native American, for example) didn't need to apply.  The door was shut to them.  Every time a White Man was chosen (well, 111 out of 115 times).  And again, this goes to statistics.  If 12% of the country is Black, then there should be a 12% chance.  Of course, that doesn't mean that particular time it must be a Black person, but over a long period of time, it should be close to the population distribution, assuming there is a fair system.  

Asking "is that fair" in a vacuum is not fair.  What is fair about the fact that over 200+ years there have only been 3 people of color, and only 5 women?  If you rolled dice 115 times and they came up "White Male" 111 times, someone would think the dice were loaded.  Had there been fairness before this, there would be no need to be "unfair" now, by saying that you wanted a black woman.  (And by the way, Reagan promised to nominate a woman to the Supreme Court, and I don't think anyone got upset.  Is it that it's a Democrat making the nomination, or is it the fact that it's a Black Woman?)

Once again, if all were fair, I would agree with you.  But it is sad to say that.... it's not fair.  

What other criteria should be used about fairness? I.e. if you look at all US states, was there at least on judge from each state over the years? And if not, should there be? There are so many possible criteria to which group people belong. The skin color is obvious, because it's plain to see. Is that reason enough to choose that as a criteria?

Personally I think they should always look at the best qualified person at that time - regardless of "membership" in any group.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

One one hand you say you think people should be employed due to their qualifications and abilities, the on the other you are saying companies are right to refuse employment to people if they are trans / LGBQ ...even if they are qualified!!!!

Yes, because it is up to the owner/manager. If I want to hire a maid, should I hire anybody who shows up who can wipe the floor? Or am I allowed to choose which person I want to hire? And if my gay neighbor wants to hire a maid he has the same free choice for himself. And the same principle applies IMHO to companies. 

• Like 1

I got to lean toward businesses right, to hire whoever they want.  I would hate to own a business and be told what or who I have to hire.

Most qualified, least disruptive to the customers, fellow employees, working environment and myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What other criteria should be used about fairness? I.e. if you look at all US states, was there at least on judge from each state over the years? And if not, should there be? There are so many possible criteria to which group people belong. The skin color is obvious, because it's plain to see. Is that reason enough to choose that as a criteria?

Personally I think they should always look at the best qualified person at that time - regardless of "membership" in any group.

Were Hoosiers slaves?

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hopefully you would be fair to the next minority applicant and not punish her based on a bad experience with one of your hires.

She was "not my hire"  She was a person who I inherited when I took over as the divison head.  She actually reported to a female department head who reported to me.  I had to address the problem when she brought it to my attention along with the documentation of poor performance "she" gave the employee for several years. 

My point is that laws that "protect" certain classes give them "rights" that are superior to those that don't.  That can give a hiring manager pause in terms of considering future candidates fearing that if they make a mistake in hiring they can do little to remedy it.  If they make a mistake in hiring a member of a non-protective class they can immediately take actions to terminate them.  That perversely works against protected class employees who are qualified, 

In my experience, these protected class laws only benefit and are used by problem employees.  They use their age, race, sexual orientation as a weapon and defense.  The truly good employee does not need such protection.  Companies are loathe to rid themselves of a good employee irrespective of race, color, creed, or sexual orientation.  They are too hard to find. 

Edited by Longwood50
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 5:53 AM, jacko45k said:

I see plenty of restrictions on job positions in Thailand, particularly the limits women appear to encounter. Surely trans will have similar issues.....or do they expect to be treated as men in this case?

Correct, don't see many middle aged staff working in convenience store chains. Why is that?

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Correct, don't see many middle aged staff working in convenience store chains. Why is that?

Same reason you don't find them at fast food joints ... 

... not exactly career jobs

9-15k a month isn't going to support a family

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I was just reading that an American fee paying school in the UK says that there are 64 genders.

Does anyone on here know what they are, i must be different i thought there were only two.

Can anyone enlighten me please.

Are you in the market?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

The low pay  and social status. There are more middle-aged Thais working in Japanese convenience stores that younger.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1 fat person

1 thin

1 medium

1 brown eyes

1 blue eyes

1 green eyes

1 bald

1 Long hair

1 short hair

I curly hair

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

1 fat person

1 thin

1 medium

1 brown eyes

1 blue eyes

1 green eyes

1 bald

1 Long hair

1 short hair

I curly hair

Still the person I know, or recommended by someone already working there, would be the one I would hire.  Nepotism works.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, Neeranam said:

...sexually harassed was by transgenders. I'm not saying they. as a group, are more likely to do that,..

I AM saying that. They also seem to be much more promiscuous than the majority of straight people. Overly aggressive and more promiscuous. And they wonder why people discriminate.. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

1 fat person

1 thin

1 medium

1 brown eyes

1 blue eyes

1 green eyes

1 bald

1 Long hair

1 short hair

I curly hair

That reminds me of that old joke:  A manager is looking for a new secretary. He has interviews with three women. One is good with computers, one is great on the phone, and one knows how to organize things. Which one does he hire? The one with the biggest t$#$.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oww said:

I AM saying that. They also seem to be much more promiscuous than the majority of straight people. Overly aggressive and more promiscuous. And they wonder why people discriminate.. 

I wonder why there is a disproportionate amount of ladyboys in Pattaya or Red light districts?