Buying 4 door truck

Wake Up

The Bangkok auto show is coming at the end of this month. I am going to buy a 4 door truck probably Toyota but maybe Ford. I simply want a vehicle to drive in the city and take a few road trips. Any  motor experts advice on engine size and fuel and reliability would be useful. And any advice on what extras I can expect from the dealer would be nice. I have been told the best deals are at the Bangkok auto show but I am not sure if that is true. I live in Bangkok but may move to another city in the future like Khon Kaen or Hua Hin. As an expat I will be paying cash and I understand the dealers like financing but the truck wil be in my name and not my girlfriend’s name. 

Edited by Wake Up

If it were me I would go for a new 2.8lt Vigo? (Whatever it' called now) Not the 2.4 as the 2.8 is much better than the 2.4 on fuel. If you can, go for the top of the range as it'll have most of the extras. As others have said Toyota is built to last. Having had 3 new Toyotas in the last almost 20 years I have never even had to change a light bulb. Must tell you something. If your paying cash ask for any extras for free. Tip just make sure it has LED lights as they are first class.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

You'd have to go along way to beat a Toyota.

I'd take a look at the new Ford Ranger too, new model this year and understand its quite special.

The all-new Ranger is VERY special and not just some fancy plastic body moulding and rearranging of the badges like the 'new' Toyota always does.

newtoo.jpg.002d0164c84a168ea05a75e8672a15cb.jpg

busy.jpg.182cd615a48ff3c4345f19c118d6bf50.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a new 2020 Toyota hilux revo rocco, 4 door 2.4L diesel automatic in March 2021, 5 year warranty. Resale value of Toyota trucks is the best of all makes. Last one, right off the showroom floor. It now has 14,xxx km. It's a very nice vehicle. Cruising on the highway at 80-90 kph it uses 6.5 liters per 100 km according to its gauges. At 110-120 KPH it uses about 8.3L per 100KM. I love the automatic AC, just set the temperature and forget. Also I like the heater, for those cold mornings up North. Love the powered driver's seat, good for long drives. The power train has 3 power settings: eco, power, and regular, which are very useful, in addition to the manual override on gears. It doesn't have cruise control , auto-dimming review mirror, nor lumbar support which I would have liked. The owner's manual is only in Thai, no English available.

My biggest complaint is the navigation system. The maps are out of date by about 3 years, and there are no newer maps from Toyota. Many times it shows me driving in the ocean or an open field but I am on a highway. It can't accept 3rd party updates like Garmin Maps which are updated 2 to 4 times a year. Google maps are useless without data service, and many places in Thailand don't have DTAC data service. I bought Garmin Thailand maps and have an old Garmin nuvi 1390 which works better than google maps, and the Toyota navigation system.

Second complaint is the automatic headlights. They can't be turned off if the engine is running at night. At night, once the engine is turned off, the headlights stay on, until the driver's door is opened. The headlights turn-on too quickly if the front window has 40% tint. They are somewhat adjustable to turn on depending the darkness outside, but the range is not adequate for tinted windows.

I paid 870,000 cash, normal dealer price was 1,079,000. Price included taxes, transfer to my name, everything ready to drive away.

I did visit multiple dealers several months prior to purchase. They wouldn't move from the standard list price, which was the same at all 3 dealers. They were willing to add-in all sorts of extras (10-20), without extra charge. These were window tinting (which is essential in Thailand) with 7 year warranty, chrome door handles, door rain vents, etc. etc. There is a catalog of dealer installable accessories.

I recommend you go to the show with dealer quotes. Each dealer will give more accessories than prior dealer quotes. Forget the dealer insurance, its over priced.

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Google maps are useless without data service, and many places in Thailand don't have DTAC data service.

Have you looked into the Google Maps offline cache feature?  Pick your area and you can download maps to use when you have no cell signal.  It won't give you the traffic, but neither will anything that requires cell service.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I think you'd need to back that up with some evidence.

Why? If someone likes it why is that not evidence?

Life is too short to buy cars because other people like them. 

Not everyone wants vanilla.

If the Op's girlfriend has a facebook account suggest joining some of the brand facebook groups.

Post an ad in Thai stating what your looking for state cash only 

and when they reply they will want to speak to someone ( give them a phone number of someone that speaks Thai as that can affect pricing and offers.

When it comes to negotiation you tell your girlfriend what your looking for and let her handle all the verbal negotiation, written negotiation and be handled by yourself using  translate

you will get replies some with try and change your mind and go for finance, but some will offer a deal, Most of the dealers are already aware of the discount and offers that will be available during the motor show.

4 door pickup annual road tax is by cc example 2.0 engine 2,900 baht 3.0 engine 6,900 baht anything up to 1800cc is 2,100 baht anything over 1800cc is 4 baht per cc

2 door pickups are taxed by weight not cc

Isuzu has a policy of not taking part in sales war ( large discounts)

https://www.longtunman.com/36009

Some dealers will offer up to 250,000 baht discounts on vehicles that were built in November and December 2021 unlikely to offer similar discounts on anything built in 2022

If you look at the various brand websites most of them offer free insurance but when you look at the details its for finance deals only, however I have found they will offer on a cash deal if that becomes a sticking point between deal and no deal.

When it comes to placing an order make sure that you specify a range of dates that the vehicle was built -/+ 3 months from order date and when you request accessories make sure it written on the order form that you want branded accessories

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The next gen Ranger will hit the showrooms within the next month or two so expect some great end of model run out deals on the current model..... thats what i'd be looking to buy.

I agree but looking at the facebook groups some models and colours are no longer available, I suspect Ford stopped manufacturing current model this year to prevent firesale pricing

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I agree but looking at the facebook groups some models and colours are no longer available, I suspect Ford stopped manufacturing current model this year to prevent firesale pricing

Both Ford plants are still assembling current model Ranger and will continue to do so until the end of this month.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Have you looked into the Google Maps offline cache feature?  Pick your area and you can download maps to use when you have no cell signal.  It won't give you the traffic, but neither will anything that requires cell service.

I have downloaded google maps for off-line use, for use without cell data service. Many features are not available on off-line maps, such as search. An important feature for me is to choose a route, fastest or shortest, and this feature is not on google maps, (both online and off-line) but is available on Garmin. Numerous other features are not available on Google maps, like avoidances, toll roads, etc.. Garmin maps can also be updated by yourself if you know the longitude and latitude of your point of interest, like speed cameras, new gas stations, etc. With Garmin maps, roads can also be added by yourself, but its a complicated process.

On 2 trips, both google maps and Toyota navigation selected a gravel road, when there was a paved road. Garmin selected the paved road which was much faster and safer. Google maps are good for cities, but so good elsewhere.

A new Toyota map SD card costs 20,000 to 25,000 baht at the dealer, if available. Excellent Garmin GPS are in the 3,000-10,000 baht range. A drivesmart 65 (7" screen) costs about 10,000 baht, and Thailand maps cost about 1,000 baht, on a sd card, from shopee. I haven't determined how to personally modify Toyota maps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why? If someone likes it why is that not evidence?

Life is too short to buy cars because other people like them. 

Not everyone wants vanilla.

yet another vacuous comment to bolster the last one?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:13 AM, Thunglom said:
On 3/14/2022 at 2:45 PM, NanLaew said:

all-new Ranger is VERY special

I think you'd need to back that up with some evidence.

The all-new Ford Ranger Thailand website is now up and running.

Fill your boots.

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Along with saying it's good, they (unlike you) also provide a lot of date to support their statement. 

Please try to follow along. 

And you don't think this is a conflict of interest. What a putz!

To establish a reputation Ford need to have a long record of quality and reliability and whilst most pickups are pretty unburstable, Ford have never achieved the same reputation as Toyota or / Nissan. FORD = "Fix or repair daily".-

On 3/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Thunglom said:

And you don't think this is a conflict of interest. What a putz!

Name calling, how clever. In any event, how is it a conflict of interest when a manufacturer states their products are good? Do not all manufacturers make such claims? I think it safe to assume Ford is biased (as are you) but everyone knows that going in, yes? Do you thing the claims and data provided by Toyota are unbiased? 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Thunglom said:

To establish a reputation Ford need to have a long record of quality and reliability and whilst most pickups are pretty unburstable, Ford have never achieved the same reputation as Toyota or / Nissan. FORD = "Fix or repair daily".-

That must be why Ford is the best selling pickup in the world for 40 years, because it was "Found On Road Dead" 

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That must be why Ford is the best selling pickup in the world for 40 years

Oh dear - a one quote wonder - you're talking of the 150.

Te worlds top selling pickups outside US were Nissan and then Toyota.

Just now, Thunglom said:

Oh dear - a one quote wonder - you're talking of the 150.

Te worlds top selling pickups outside US were Nissan and then Toyota.

Yes honey, if you don't include the US, then Toyota and Nissan may be the best selling pickup in the world, but if you do include the US. Ford is the best selling pickup in the world, not just in the US. 

On 3/14/2022 at 6:35 PM, Yellowtail said:

I like the Isuzu product. Since I've been living in Thailand I had four Isuzus and two Toyotas (driving a Toyota now) and were I going to buy a new pickup today I would buy an Isuzu. 

Go to the show, they usually have a big test drive area where you can drive them all and just buy something you like to drive and like the look of. They're all good quality. 

I like the MUX, if I were to need a larger SUV vehicle that is what I would purchase.  For 10 years I had a Mitsubishi Triton and never had a problem with it.  Gave it to the ex-wifes family when I moved out and purchased my new vehicle, which around the BKK Area and for trips is more than enough.  If I needed a Truck I would look at the new MG Extender.....

First car was a '91 Mustang GT and I'm definitely not anti Ford, but vs. Toyota or Isuzu in Thailand, Ford's of course the most likely to go the way of Chevy and then it'll that much more of a pain to maintain it (unless you're capable or if it's a hobby to do it yourself).  

1 hour ago, Heng said:

First car was a '91 Mustang GT and I'm definitely not anti Ford, but vs. Toyota or Isuzu in Thailand, Ford's of course the most likely to go the way of Chevy and then it'll that much more of a pain to maintain it (unless you're capable or if it's a hobby to do it yourself).  

I agree Ford is more likely to got the way of Chevy than is Toyota or Isuzu, but I would not say more likely than Nissan.

I had already been driving for almost twenty years when your Mustang rolled off the line. My first "car" was was a '53 Ford F100.

• Like 1